CA Stove Gathering #3!

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Friends,

We had such a fantastic time at our recently completed CA Stove Gathering #2, that we all decided not to let any soot grow under our flame spreaders, and to plan our next Gathering right away! Just checked our work schedule, and it looks like Sweet Bride and I only have one weekend in January that might work for a Gathering. That would be January 15-17. We could arrive earlier, say around the 13th, or 14th, and so make a longer Gathering. Also, we have the first two weekends in February open, if that would work for everyone else. That would be February 4,5,6,7, or Feb 11,12,13,14. What say you, Folks?

For those who did not attend our recent CA Stove Gathering #2, Gathering #3 is going to be located in the Joshua Tree National Park. This majestic park is located East and slightly North of Palm Springs, CA, accessed by I-10 on the South, and Hwy 62 on the North. We want to cut Flivver and Mrs Flivver some driving slack, as they drove the greatest distance to our just completed Gathering #2. The Joshua Tree area is really lovely, but mostly desert topography. Mac has camped there quite a bit, and recommended it highly. So, we "voted" at our Gathering and JT won, hands down!

Give the dates a squint, Friends, and see if those would work for you all. If so, start making your plans now, to avoid the rush!! As I've said before, yes, we are all going to have to do some driving. But, that's mainly because CA is a huge State, and we have Stovies scattered hither, thither, and yon, State-wise. Don't let a few miles of driving keep you from enjoying the Gathering, Friends!! ;) :D :D/ :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride (who are thinking about making our stove selection for this next Gathering a "theme" sort of thing: I.E. All Coleman, or all MSR, or all Meths, etc..)

2. itchy

I am so jealous.

1254939491-Ryan_mnt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Great photo!

Sheep Pass Group Camp is located at the north end of Ryan Montain, just about where the left end in the photo is hidden behind the Joshua Tree.

I've tried for many years to be camping in the park when it snows; never quite managed it. As you can see, it's beautiful.

....Arch

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Well done, Doc!

Come on folks, support Doc in this meet - or as the Ents would say - 'Moot'.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Evening, Shagratork,

Thank you, very much, Trevor!! So far, only Mac and Nelda, Mike and Laura (and Charlie, or course!), and Sweet Bride and me have committed to our next Gathering. One thing I have learned over the years of trying to get folks involved in various interesting things is that, it's up to each person to either get involved and have some fun, or stay home and not put anything into it. Good, either way, actually.

In any case, it looks like all of us from Gathering #2 will be present and accounted for, and we've already began crafting our plans for another fun and interesting "moot"!! :thumbup: ;) :D We all REALLY hope to have more CA Stovies participate, but if it turns out to be just us, then so be it. We really enjoyed one anothers company for Gathering #2, and I know the addition of Sweet Bride will fit right into the company of "regulars"!!

If anyone needs more info, please contact me, and I'll do my best to help out. Also, if anyone has any questions, please send them along, and all of us involved will chime in with answers.

Once again, we really hope that lots of Stovies will show up and join in the fun!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

There was a call from some members for a meet between LA and San Francisco. (The first CA meet, which I was unable to attend, was in that neck of the woods -- Montana de Oro, just south of Morro Bay.)

I just want these folks to know that we weren't snubbing them. A Joshua Tree meet has been on the back burner for awhile.

One thing you guys could do is put together a meet closer to you, and tell the rest of us about it. A springtime meet in Montana de Oro or Pinnacles might draw some of us up that way. I would go if I could get some time off.

Anyway, I hope you can make it to Joshua Tree (supposing we can actually get a reservation there), and that all of us can participate in more of these meets.
    ....Arch

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Mac,

Well said, my Friend, and spot on the money! I'd be willing to head North, if our gig permitted it, and to join any of our Stove Brethern up that way in a Gathering! Since our first Gathering was held up in that neck of the woods, I figure we should spread it around, and so everyone will have it closer to them, every few years.

But, you are right, Mac: If others want to put together a Gathering, I'd be as pleased as punch, and would most certainly attend, if our business demands would allow it!! I'd love to do so, in fact!

But, as our next chance to get together is at Joshua Tree, I'm really hoping that others will come and join us for some fun out that way!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I certainly hope that nobody felt I was "snubbing" them in suggesting the upcoming location! Nothing could be further from the truth. As mentioned, the Joshua Tree location came up after Mac suggested it, and after The Flivver Family heartily said that would be a much better drive for them. Both Sweet Bride and I are VERY much looking forward to this next Gathering, and to any future such events, no matter where they are held!!

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, All,

Well, a wrench has been tossed into our plans, Friends! Mac let me know this evening, that all of the group sites at JT have already been booked up!! RATS AND MICE, HOLY MOLY CHICKEN SOUP!! ](*,) :doh: :roll:

Well, it's back to the drawing board, Friends! I'll do a little checking around, and see what turns up. If any of the rest of you have a suggestion for a good place for our #3 Gathering, please post it, and we'll check it out. One way, or the other, we'll come up with another location. Talk to you soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (disappointed, but not despairing!)

9. Jim Henderson

There are a lot of family sites at JT, are those all booked too? The family sites accomodate 2 cars , 2 tents and 6 people for one fee(if any).

Whatever, oh a favorite saying according to the news, I am in and at least one or both of my boys for any meet within say 200-300 miles of LA, CA. Further if very interesting.

Jim Henderson

10. b-gin

Santa Margarita Lake...just East of San Luis Obispo about 20 minute drive. Quaint little lake since water/jet skiers are not allowed. I could bring a small boat for fishing or touring the lake.

b-gin

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Jim and b-gin,

Thanks, very much, for the comments and suggestions. I think we can still come up with a place that will work for the Gathering. As for SLO, we LOVE it up there, however, our first Gathering was held up in that area, and this time we hope to offer a little less driving for the Flivver Family, and maybe a little more for the rest of us. So, I'm afraid SLO is probably not going to work this year. But, hey, you never know.... I'll keep in touch, as more comes to light. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Just time for a short note. I just got off the phone with Flivver, and he offered a few suggestions that would keep the Gathering in the same general location as we'd originally planned, but very possibly without the problems we've encountered with Joshua Tree National Park.

He has suggested a place called "Mid-hills Campground", which is in the Mojave National Preserve, just East and a tad North of Mitchell Caverns National Preserve. It's at around 5,600 feet in elevation, and is in some scenic hills. The area was partly burned over by a wildfire in 2005, but half of it's campsites are still just fine, offering camping amongst some nice Juniper trees, and some views. In any case, I think this might be a good substitute for JTNP. The fee is $12 per site, per night, with vault toilets, piped water, and tables. This campsite is located off of I-40, between Barstow and Needles, CA, North of the little village of Essex, CA

It's popular during the Winter, as is JTNP, BUT they do not accept reservations, and as we'd be arriving in mid-week, the person to whom Flivver spoke on the phone told him that we should have NO problem in getting whatever sites we wished to have, and since we'd have residence already, would not be pushed out on the weekend.

Sweet Bride and I are up for it. How about the rest of you? Also, for us, though we can certainly make a January Gathering, on the dates I offered, it would be better for us if we did this in February. We have a family birthday happening on the January weekend we mentioned, and whilst we "can" miss it, we'd rather not, if that would not be a problem for others. Let me know what you think and we'll go from there. If this sounds good, SB and I will take a drive up that way to check out the campground and pick some good sites for us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who's back to work....!)

13. Jim Henderson

Other suggested sites...

Death Valley, usually very uncrowded in the winter. A bit far but equally distant for Northern and southern Calif campers.

Silverwood Lake off Cajon Pass, near Doc. Has a lake, is very empty in winter, maybe snow but not much.

Maybe beach camping?? Ventura has several beach camps but in winter they may be blustery and wet/cold.

Salton Sea is close for the Flivvers but very desert like, but has the sea which can smell a tad.

Someone mentioned Red Rock up near Mojave. Not too bad a drive for No or So Cal'rs.

Lake Isabella has some developed campgrounds and of course a lake. Don't know what they are like in winter.

Just some ideas.

Jim Henderson

14. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hey Doc

Looks like there are great alternatives to your original choice.
    The price per night seems to be fantastic to me.
    Hope everything works itself out.

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Shag,

Many thanks, and yes, it does look like things are going to work out just fine for our next Gathering, which will very probably be a desert affair!! Wish you could pop over and join us, Trevor!! As new plans are firmly made, I'll post the info here. Thanks, again, for your support, my Friend, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

The Joshua Tree family sites are first-come, also. My preference would be to get a site we can reserve. It would be terrible if we got more people than we had camp spaces for, which could happen if several folks arrived Friday night or later. I guess that's the chances we take. Maybe we should make a reservation now for next summer's meet. . .

For January or February, I'm up for any of the alternatives mentioned. Mid Hills is a great place, as is Hole-In-the-Wall campground just a few miles south. Bring warm clothes. A central coast camp would be fine, too.

Trevor, by all means come over and camp with us. Either desert or coast will be beautiful in winter.
    ....Arch

17. Jim Henderson

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Guys,

All this is looking really, really good, actually! My thought is to keep this Gathering close to our original choice for the location, which would make Mid-hills a very good choice. And, Mac, though I understand why we might be better served with a place that offers reservations, as Flivver found out, if we get there early enough in the week, we should be able to score plenty of room for anyone that wishes to join us. So far, only one other person, besides those that attended our last Gathering, has shown interest, and that's b-gin, up in San Luis Obispo. Haven't heard from Baja, Hikin' Jim, or any of the other CA Stovies, as of yet. In any case, Mid-hills sound like a good compromise location, and the tour through Mitchell Caverns looks to be stunning! Thanks, Jim, for that information!!

So, how about it, Lads (and Lass, and Furry Stovie!), should we go for it, and tag Mid-hills as our location? One other thing has come up, which we should consider. Flivver has suggested that we make the locations and dates a semi-permanent thing, just as our Brit Brothers do with their big Newark Gathering, each year. That way, everyone knows where our Gathering will be held, and when, and they can make plans to attend, well in advance. This sounds like a good idea to me. One problem we have in CA is, the size of the State, and the very long driving distances, may well keep some interested Stovies from attending a Gathering, no matter WHERE we choose to hold it! This is unfortunate, but a fact of life in CA. As for us, Sweet Bride and I do not mind driving a bit, in order to be able to share some stove fun with other like-minded Stovies. But, each of us has to make that decision for themselves, and unfortunately, some either cannot, or will not, drive farther than a few miles from where they live.

What are your thoughts, my Friends? Let's decide soon, so we can make a plan. As for you other CA Stovies that might be interested, please chime in with your thoughts!! Input from all of you, even those who cannot attend, will be much appreciated. That way, we can better organize our Gatherings for best effect. Both SB and I are already looking forward to our next Gathering adventure!! Talk to you soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Let's go for Mid Hills in February. Like I said, bring warm clothes; the Providence Mountains (right next to the campground) get snow occasionally.

I'm all for setting up permanent gatherings. We could do two a year -- a summer one on the central coast, and a winter one in the desert. If we set dates, we can get reservations well ahead of time. Question: do we have enough dedicated stovies in the area to support this?
    ....Arch

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Mac,

You wrote: "Question: do we have enough dedicated stovies in the area to support this?"

Ahhhh, there's the rub, Lad!! In the two Gatherings we've done so far, we had scant, but very enthusiastic support from our CA Stovies. I would dearly love it, if more folks could get involved with this things. But, so far, it's been as quiet as a graveyard....

Hey, I know: "I just found six cases of NOS Optimus #9 stoves, and I'll give one, free of charge, to all Stovies that attend our Gatherings"!! :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :^o :^o [-( [-( [-X [-X :-# :-# 8-[ 8-[ O:) O:)

I wonder, though........ ;) ;) :whistle:

I'm up for creating two Gatherings each year, one on the Coast, and one in the desert. We could always keep places like Dogwood in mind, and other nearby locations, for local stuff, if we wanted to. We can talk about this further at the Gathering. Let's go for meeting at Mid-hills campgound, in February, and see how it turns out. Sweet Bride and I will be there early, to grab as many spots as we need, and we'll also try to make an advance run out there, just to check out the lay of the land. I am certain that SB will want to do the Cavern Tour, too, as will I!!

Thanks for your support in all this, Mac! With you, Nelda, Jim, the Flivver family, and us, we'll have a good time, and if others decide to join in, I know that they will have one, too!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc