CA Stove Gathering #3!

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Texas

Hey Jim,
    Ross mentioned (within the last few days) about the "recent post" icon on the tool bar at the top of the page. I'd never seen it before and started using it. The CA gathering is there for the "looking at" and I now go there before I go anywhere else.

Just an FYI,
    Bob

2. Jim Henderson

That is true that there is the tool bar Recent posts button. But it would be better if there was something on the home page that could attract attention without having to click a "generic" button like recent posts. New users or even old ones often don't use all the features of a webpage. You did not know about the button at the top until told by someone else. I have seen it but rarely use it. I just go to whatever is on the home page of interest.

Something must have changed in the last month or so. I recall seeing more recent notices in the past which I would then click to see. Seemed like there were notices on left and right and in the forums blocks. Could be my imagination. Just seems like there are not as many Recent topics displayed to catch my eye.

Not complaining but I think we would have more attendees if it was more obvious. I think Doc mentioned several other people missed the last meet since they didn't know about it till too late. I have missed all the recent posts on CASG3 since the new year. I had to specifically go into the Club house under Meets/Events to see it. I was actually going to post a "What's up Doc" to see if things were still on schedule. Then I saw the recent posts.

I know about the upcoming event and still missed notices. Course it is more peaceful with fewer people, but that defeats part of the purpose of the event.

Jim Henderson

3. Texas

I'm just sayin that I'm not missing any post due to the "recent post" button on the tool bar....unless, of course, I want to miss them. And thas all I was addressing, you missing some post. And you're right I had paid no attention to the "RP" option until mentioned by Ross. My ultimate responsibility though. I don't know how for newer members to go to school on the site...its taken a while for this old pup to learn a new trick.

Best,
    Bob

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I'm keep seeing this flaggining up as a fresh topic but will investigate.

Just a suggestion - If you're a subscriber you can subscribe to the topic. Then you'll get an email notifying you of new posts.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Guys,

Just my opinion, but those who have interest in the Gathering WILL be there, for the most part. Those without interest, or are too far away, will not be there, no matter how many posts are made to "remind" folks about this event. I know that several CCS members are making long trips to be there. Others, who live MUCH closer, will not be there. Just the way of it, I'm afraid. We'll have a blast, no matter the final attendance totals! That is the important thing. Take care and God bless!!

Doc

6. hikin_jim

Hikin' Jim, 1 person, old style two-person backpacking tent with guy lines (needs a bit more room to set up than the modern ones), arrive on Thursday (Thursday is part of the gathering, yes?)

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. flivver United States

HJ: Yes it starts on Thursday. Doc and, or I will be there earlier to secure spots. Mike...

8. RonPH

Ron, 1 person, borrowing a tent, and leaving Milpitas on Wednesday after the morning rush hour so I should be there Wed evening if thats fine....need to know where to meet up just in case or please PM me your mobile numbers and crossing my fingers it will work up/down there.

Ron (again)

9. Doc Mark

Hey, Ron, and All,

I just got talked to Flivver on the phone, and he brought up a few good points. One is that, whilst the roads are well-marked for the campground, the signs are small, and not lighted. So, if you plan to arrive after dark, please be very careful in your driving to the campground. You could easily make a wrong turn, if you miss one of the small signs. Second, Mike asked if you needed to borrow a tent, or were borrowing one from a friend up that way? I wasn't sure if you were taking me up on my offer to loan you one, either, so it will be good to know if you've covered that base, yourself. Also, the Family Flivver is planning to arrive early on Wednesday morning, to try and secure the needed sites for our Gathering. For that reason, as time grows more near, for anyone else who's planning to join us, please let us know, if you can, by the day before, Tuesday, if you can. That way, Mike can make sure to gathering in enough sites for everyone that's planning to come to this event. Each site has a maximum of 8 campers who can use it. So, if we have three sites, that should take care of the Gathering needs, unless a ton of folks show up at the last minute. Not to worry, if this does, indeed, happen, as we'll make do, and call it good, in any case! ;) 8) :D

Last, cell phone coverage at this site, is a "sometimes" thing, as I've been told. Mike said he could get a signal with his phone in some places, and have no signal in other places, near the campground. For those that are planning to join us, if you would be so kind as to PT me with your cell phone numbers, that would be great. We can then keep track of anyone in need, and do our best to help, should someone end up in the wrong place, or in need of assistance.

Well, that's about it, for now. Talk to you all soon, and see you just around the next corner, at our Gathering!!! :clap: :D/ :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. BernieDawg Banned

Heya All

Well. It's a wee bit of a drive... but... me and the Lovely Spouse would like to attend.

Look forward to meeting everyone in the flesh. Sounds like it is gonna be fun!

Cheers,
    Gary

11. RonPH

Bernieeeeee! That's great news buddy. Look forward more to the meet with Doc 2X Jims et al. See you there!

Ron

12. Doc Mark

Hey, Bernie Dawg,

That's OUTSTANDING news, my Friend!! Yippee-Yi-O-Ki-Yay!!! :D/ :D/ :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to be bringing my BD#9 mini cap, and trying it with a few very special stoves, all in your honor, Dawg!!! It worked so very well at CASG2, with a super hot, very blue flame, that it definitely deserves to be on one of my favorites. I already have a few likely candidates picked out, and will bring them, along with my BD #9 cap!

Gary, I'm really glad you and your Bride are going to be joining us for CASG3!! If you need any help, please let me know, and I'll do my best to help out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. flivver United States

Hi Gary: Looking forward to meeting you folks. I am binging my Vesuvius. You may wish to bring wax or plaster to make an impression of my grate. I am unable to have it made locally and am nervous about shipping, getting lost, damaged etc. Mike...

14. Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

Well, as our Gathering gets closer and closer, it's looking like it will turn out to be our very best, yet!! As you can see, we have attendees coming from as far away as Oregon and Arizona, not to mention up by San Francisco, as well as us local Southern California folks!

As I mentioned before, yes, it will most certainly require a long drive for some of you Stovies, and yes, it might be a tad chilly at night, out there in the desert. But, hey, that's why we have stoves, heaters, lanterns, and other neat stuff!! ;) 8) :D :D

I certainly hope that other CA CCS members, as well as a few from contiguous States, decide to join us at CASG3! This sort of event is really what CCS, and our stove hobby, is all about, in truth! The friendship, food, fun, fettling, and frivolity, makes such events rare, special, and well worth your time and efforts to attend!!

So, come on, your Stovies!! "In for a penny, in for a pound"!! Plan to join us for the upcoming CASG3, and I'm pretty sure you will be very glad you did!!

Thanks to one and all of those who have already made the commitment to be there!! Well done, Friends!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As we get more near the time for our event, I'll send out an email list to those that are planning to be there, with cell phone numbers, so we can help each other, in case of a problem in travel. See you all soon, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. BernieDawg Banned

Hi all

Um.... a couple of points I wanted to cover.

Mike, I have drawn a blank completely on where I would take a wax or clay impression of your excellent Vesuvius trivet to have it cast into metal. If you have any suggestions on further research, please let me know. I'm stumped as of now. :-k :-k

Are there any stoves in particular that attendees would like to see me bring to The Gathering (a bad 2002 creepy movie starring Christina Ricci, btw)? Sorry, no Optimus #9's in my herd. :lol: Or, equipment, any needs or requests?

Cheers,
    Gary

16. Jim Henderson

AN update... My oldest son has dropped out. He has an Akadeka(scholastic) competition coming up that weekend.

Youngest is weasling a bit due to some percieved need to act in a school homie film production, so not 100% on him.

I will be there barring illness or wife surprises. I camp to eat and pick the lint out of my navel.

So it looks like I still need a place to park and sleep in my truck. I probably will show up Friday during daylight, this makes the trip more worthwhile time wise. Youngest is 50/50 on attending. Assuming he does, we will need a spot for 1 8x8 tent.

Further update as we get closer.

I am thinking for me... I will just bring compact/backpack type stoves. I hate to leave behind my suitcases, but it might be fun to use some of my rusty trusty old companions that don't get near enough play time. May even consume a few of my GT and Rando cartridges.

I will probably bring my big infrared heater and or my homestyle kerosene heater(better than a smokey campfire, comfort wise) and of course my kitchen sink. Will bring a few extra camp chairs, and plenty of lanterns.

Jim Henderson

17. Jim Henderson

BTW, any know restrictions on types of fires?

I would like to bring a charcoal grill, but if I have to I can use propane, which is a pale immitation of grilling.

Jim Henderson

18. flivver United States

Hi Jim: The preserve has the same guidelines as National Parks. Open flame fires are to be in provided metal fire pits. I suppose a charcoal grill may be open for debate - don't know. Maybe bring both in case? Mike...

19. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Nelda and I will be there -- hoping to arrive on Friday. We'll just have a backpacking tent (and a bunch of stoves).

Did we ever decide on a theme or guidelines?

Looking forward to seeing everybody.
    ....Arch

20. RonPH

Arch, glad you and Nelda could come. The more the merrier!

See you there!