CA Stove Gathering?

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Lads,

After reading about a new guest here at CCS, who lives South of San Francisco, I gave thought to seeing if we can arrange a CA Stove Gathering for this coming Summer. As noted in the Open Forum, Sweet Bride and I will be working up in San Luis Obispo this coming Summer, and several of our Mates live not too far away from there.

Baja lives to the South, Gordon to the North, and Pureheart Steinbruner, our new guest here at CCS, lives just North of there. Add in Ed, from Reno, and Lance, who is our Traveling Stove Mate, and hey, who knows, we might end up creating a fun day of stove play!! As we will actually be working in SLO, I would not be able to spend a weekend, and probably not even camp. But, it still might be fun to just try and get a day together. What say you, Lads? Does this have any interest to you, and if so, do you want to try and cobble together a plan to meet in SLO? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

2. hobowonkanobe

well, I guess you cld lump me in there w/, Lance AKA travelin stovey. I'm in Northern Oregon/Vancouver wa right now and cld make it inside of a week depnding on where it is. That is if I'm not already in the general area.
    I'ld realy like to meet some o' you guys after all this "keyboard time"
    Cheers, Doc, I'm for it.

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Hey Doc !
    Count me in, depending on the date, of course...We are going up to Oregon about the second week of June...
    There are several nice state parks in the area, look up Montana de Oro, just south of Morro Bay.
    sounds like fun!

4. splitbus

If a date is decided I am planning on going to Yucca sometime this summer. I could probably swing a extra day to meet with stove type people.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Lads,

Hey, this is starting to look like it might actually come to something fun!!! 8) 8) :D :D We will actually be working in SLO twice this Summer, so you Lads have two choices as to a possible Stove Day. We'll be there in late June/early July, and once again in early August. So, pick your poison, and we can go from there. I know that it may be possible for us to arrive one day early, and we might actually be able to bring a tent and other goodies. However, if that doesn't work out for us, I'd still love to have a Stove Day, where we could meet and play with stoves!! Let me know how all this looks to the rest of you, and we can begin to formulate a plan of action!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

6. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Go. go, go for it! :D

7. Hazet

sounds like it could be fun, count me in if my schedule will allow it. after june is best for me, as i am usually on the east coast for most of that month.

Jon

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

By the by, I'll be in SF this weekend if anyone is in the neighborhood.

9. Lance

We need a date Doc, so figure in early August. When is your teaching dates? i'd suggest we gather a couple of days before that. to have a full weekend of camp and stoves and lanterns. I know i can arrange to be going south or north to such a meet. If south, i'll hook up with brother Hobo and bring him along.

lance

ps: Gads, if this keeps up i'll be attending three or four meets this year.
    lp

10. hobowonkanobe

I'll pop a flare! You comin outa the Seatle area? If so I'll make sure I'm in either Vancouver WA or in Portland.

Hey lance, you an independant, or a company man? You being a trucker, and me being a hitch hiker in the states is the obvious reason for the Q.
    I wldn't want to take a chance of you getting in deep s**t if your w/ a Co., that can be a nasty hit.

11. Lance

I'm an owner operator leased to a flatbed outfit out of Omaha. The truck is mine and the trailer is theirs. Best arrangement for paying bills and still being free to go where and mostly when i want. They have a policy of no riders but there are ways around this. Doesn't matter were you might be i can always circle out to make a p/u, just as i might to make a meet.

lp

12. hobowonkanobe

sounds good to me. Fire off an email a few days before so I can make sure to be on the right corner. ;)
    Cheers.

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Lads,

Keep a weather eye on the horizon on this front..... maybe the next tide will soon be bringing some good news about this to those of us near the West Coast!!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... close to the vest, now, Lads!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) 8) 8)

Doc

14. hobowonkanobe

So is it agreed on as being in August? And in central Cali?

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

HEAR YE!!! HEAR YE!!! HEAR YE!!! THE SPIRITS ARE ABOUT TO SPEAK!!!!!!!!!

Morning, Lads,

After some fine legwork by Brother Baja Bum (many thanks, Steve!!!), the dates and place for the first CA Stove Gathering have been decided!!! We will meet and camp the weekend of July 27, 28, 29, at a campground that Steve has picked, and at which he's camped before and highly recommends. Here is a link to the campground:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/ca/Mo...Details.do?agency=CA&siteId=155&parkId=120058

This place is about 10 miles from San Luis Obispo, CA, and is just 1/4 mile from the ocean!! It's a primitive site, Lads, with NO hookups, nor showers, nor regular flush toilets. No Pubs, either, so bring your own "Pub in a Pocket", and be prepared to make our own fun!!! ;) ;) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: There are pit toilets, and I believe there is water availability. At that time of year, and being right on the coast, expect night and morning low clouds and fog!! This usually burns off around noon, or slightly before, or after, and gives way to beautiful, sunny skies. Bring hats, sweaters/coats, and warm sleeping arrangements, for the chilly nights we expect to enjoy!!! Sweet Bride and I are going to be using one of our backpacking, or snow camping, tents! I'm smiling, just thinking about the fun of it all!!!!!

Baja recommends that we get off the dime and reserve our sites early, because, as it's Summer, the sites will probably not last too long. Up to 8 people can share each site, but only three vehicles per campsite. I will call today and reserve our spot, and Baja is going to do likewise. He and Mrs. Baja are planning to arrive on Wednesday, July 25, and Sweet Bride and I will either be there on that day, or the next day, Thursday, July 26. We will all break camp and go our separate ways on Sunday, July 29.

So, all you California Stove Mates, make your plans, now, to be there and to be a part of the very first CA Stove Gathering!!! Sweet Bride and I will be doing this event right before a regular work gig, and so can't bring all the goodies that we'd like to. But, I have already made a list of stoves, tent, and other fun stuff, and I'm already looking very much forward to this chance to get together for some fun!!!

If you have any questions about the site, either check the link, or contact Brother Baja, as he's been there before. Also, if you would be so kind, please let us know whether, or not, you're planning to be there. It will be nice to know who's coming, and who cannot attend.

So, there you have it, Brothers!!! This event is open to all our Stove Mates, whether they are from CA, or not!!! So, some of you guys from the Pacific Northwest, and others that are not too far from us, please try to join us for some fun!!!! If this works out, maybe we can make it an annual event!!! Hope to see you there! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  16. rik_uk3

My type of site, 'dig and dump', can you have open fires for cooking?

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Richard,

Never having been there, myself, I don't know, for sure. But, I would imagine that there are fire rings, which most such State Parks have in each site. Some Parks like this sell wood, too, but it's usually cheap pine, which burns up fast, and is horribly over-priced! As Sweet Bride and I will be "on the road", so to speak, going to a work event, we won't bother trying to bring good firewood, and will probably not have a fire. But, I've already made a list of stoves and other fun stuff, and we'll be quite warm and happy, I'm sure!! ;) 8) :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

18. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Yes, every site has a fire ring and a table, water is available ( its trucked in tho), Bring your hiking boots and your mountain bike, there are many miles of trails, surf fishing, tourist traps (Morro Bay ) and good company !
    As I've told doc, you can't reserve a specific site, just 'a' site. When you arrive, drive thru and select one, go back and register. I'm going to try to be in the first loop, look for a white ford p/u and a pop-up tlr.
    see you all there!

19. Lance

Is there any place close by where i can park the rig and then ride in with someone. I'll bring my tent and other stuff but not much as it'll be a weekend event for me.

lance

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Lance,

If you can find a "Flying J", or some other truck stop you trust to leave your rig, we'll come and pick you up. After we break camp on Sunday, we can drop you back off at your truck. How does that sound? Maybe Baja will know of a nearby truck stop. Otherwise, we're going to be working up there in June, too, and I can scope out the situation for you at that time. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark