Cadac cira 1974 SA Army issue 2 burner stove

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by It'l Dodat, Feb 6, 2018.

1. It'l Dodat

Good morning everybody....

This stove is but one of many cookers / cooking systems that I have collected over the years.

I've had this stove since 1974.
    The tale of this stove and how it cam to be in my possession is worth the read, I'll make the narrative later...

bloem 2016 cooking station 1975 army cooker.jpg

2. It'l Dodat

Here is the narrative.

1975 SA ARMY ISSUE CADAC 2 PLATE PORTABLE GAS STOVE

I found this stove at Rundu military base back in 1974 – 5 during my 2 year national service Angolan bush war border duty, lying abandoned behind the QM stores.

Although filthy dirty at the time, it was (and still is) in 100% working order

I love this cooker... It’s come a very long way with me, and has given me sterling service for some 43 years

On the border, obtaining gas was not a problem, it was getting hold of a means to use the gas that was a problem, so I went to my tent, collected my towel went back, dropped my towel over it to conceal it and carried it back to my tent.

I then found a suitable ammo box buried the ammo box under my bed and after a thorough cleaning hid it in the ammo box, and swore our little group to secrecy.

That stove served us well... gave us heated bully beef – hot tea – hot water for our teeth toes and "other important man-goods" and a whole heck of a lot more.... I think it became common knowledge amongst us troepies, however it was never “discovered” and confiscated.

When we packed up and flew “flossie-airlines” back to Waterkloof, when I finally opened my balsak (duffelbag).......Surprise – surprise it was inside.....

I swear to this day I have no idea HOW it got in there, or what happened to the clothing that was supposed to be in there.... I can only assume that it grew so attached to me, that just before we left it somehow crept into my balsak and hid there.....

And I’ve had it ever since.

PERFORMANCE / MY RATING

This is the Arnauld Swartzenegger of all gas stoofies.... Man is this guy a powerhouse.... \

Survived the Angolan Bush war............Survived being imprisoned in a wooden box buried underground

Stowaway-ed on a military aeroplane and made it all the way to SA

Bliksem’s ugly, built like a 1930's ablution block come wind, come rain, come hail....There is just no stopping this one.....

This fella is my go-to stove. Whenever I go camping this is the one... Heavy yes, but it has never ever let me down, no matter what the weather... Open the valve, light the burner and it settles down to its comforting shhhhhhhhh sound.... The wind deflectors work extremely well and it all packs up into its very robust case

Nowadays, it no longer has to sleep in a hole in the ground. Now it sleeps in its very own rip-stop bag

The only thing I’ve ever done is give it a coat of spray paint, and add the griller plate. I rate this unit a 4,5 out of 5 due to being on the heavy side.

3. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

We would love to see flame shots of it
    Ivan

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hello Dodat,
    Thanks for posting
    Cadac was licensed to produce Primus stoves btw, you likely knew that.
    This Cadac is new to me, it's not a duplication of a Primus, correct?

Re "... obtaining gas was not problem..."
    Me wonders what would "gas" mean in SA, propane or maybe gasoline... :-k
    Can you share with us what "gas" it used in '75 (and today)?
    nice stove
    thx omc

5. It'l Dodat

Hi Ivan... Will do, but please be patient, my camera's in for a cable....

Morning OMC,
    In this context, "gas" refers to LP Gas... Although getting old of petrol / diesiel during those times <SA Bush war> was pretty freely available.
    Still the same gor today, Still today, coliqually we use gas to mean LP, Petrol is what you chaps refer to as gasoline.. Use of the term gasoline is virtually obsolete.

No I'm not aware... I,m not particularly learned about stoves.. My association with them is more on a personal level, Each of the cookers / stoves and barbeques <braai's> that I have has some unique story to tell... Whether it's huddled over my old Gaz cannister top burner when caught in severe conditions for 4 days while hiking in the Drakensberg <early 80's> in my backpacker Kestrel ridge tent, the story behind the Army issue stove... And this stove, the last link in the gear I've collected over many years for an authentic 1970's vintage pitch...

Put it this way, for me, it's the story behind the burner, rather than the technicalities of the burner...

It's a bit of a pity... I posed the question regards the term stove, and have gotten 2 very different replies, Consequentially my collection is way broader than "brass stoves", Such as a pot stove I made from an old army steel helmet / a rocket stove made from junk as a nothing-to-do-on-a-Sunday-project, and my trusty Cobb cooker that I self modified to work either on Lp or Organic fuel...

Ahhh well.... such is life....

Still, there is a lot of useful information that will broaden my background knowledge, and who knows where that may lead...

6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @It'l Dodat , the "core business" if you like of this forum is, indeed, classic camp stoves. That does not mean we don't post about anything else! Myself, during the last few months posted photos of a wood burner I made from an old LPG tank, photos of an Austria-Hungarian Great War field kitchen and it's slightly bigger German sister, also Great War. Both are used a couple times a year to cook at Living History events etc. so are in full working order. The biggest portable "camp stove" I posted about (sadly no longer have it) is a French 1950s field kitchen, used in the officers field mess. It is "portable" by 4 soldiers......
    So, don't be shy to post about other stuff than the "classic" camp stove, that's one of the reasons the Lounge was created!

Best regards,

Wim

7. It'l Dodat

Hi Wim <10:30 here> 'avent a cooking clue what time its there!

Thanks a ton... So posts, about "non-pressure" stoves, can be posted about in "the lounge"

I'll definately Dodat :lol:

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @It'l Dodat , I think we're one hour behind you! (unless you meant 10:30PM, it is now 10:05 AM over here)

9. It'l Dodat

Me and My swartzenegger stove

Bloem 04-2016 spagbol comming up yummie.jpg

Yummie Spagbol up-n-comming

bloem 2016 pitch roof top tent inside a tent.jpg

My self-built, one and only in SA canvas caravan under a 5x5m army tent for an awning. That there blue box is my chuck box... A re-purposed fishing tackle backpack... Sits up-top a 400x400x500mm box for pots-n-pans-n-stuff

bloem 2016 pitch from the water.jpg

Typically where I use old Swartzenegger... +- 20Km from the next dude, off grid and other than my 4 legged burglar alarm completely solo... And that's when you gotta have good old fashoned reliability....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. It'l Dodat

Ok, this was also a trial to see how to post with photo's and so on.... I see only got 10 minutes to edit..... 'ELP...

11. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day It'l Dodat, Your stove sure has a history behind it.
    A stove post is always made that much better when the story accompanies the photos. :clap:
    As Wim said the open Forum is available as is the Frankies, Mods & Hybrids section and I am looking forward to seeing more of your gear.

12. It'l Dodat

Morning all

@ROBBO55, Thanks for the encouragement and I'll definitely do so... But I'm scrambling a tad here, as it's not like I planned to become active on this forum, and my camera's in for a cable, and truth be told I've only got a few photo's downloaded, and they're of a more "general" nature, not specifics..

I found this forum because I was looking at photos on google. and one thing led to another...

Our local caravan - camping forum are having a get-together 01-04 March and have asked me to do a display of my stuff... I'm hoping to be able to take lot's of photo's then, and be better prepaired for this forum.....

So I trust you all will bear with me.....

But to "fire-off", I'm off to do a post, in the lounge, regards my rocket stove....

13. It'l Dodat

It's almost surreal how it goes for a collector.........
    What.. 40 42 years? And I've never seen another one of these stoves.... ever.

Fact is I saw a picture of one, on google, when I opened the page it brought me to this forum, and the ownere is in Cape Town....

Over the weekend they broke in at the company warehouse and our counting scale was uplifted by the night-time shoppers, I went round to the local pawn shop to alert them and give it's serial number....

So I mosey around...........................What's on the shelf? another one of these!

The moron who had it painted it some hideous ligt green, but it's in 100 % working order and 100 % complete.... didn't have cash on me so I did a deposit.......

Will collect probibly tomorrow...

14. It'l Dodat

Sent the dispatch off to collect my new one of these, just arrived...

Like I said 40 years of flea markets / auctions and second hand shops, never seen another!

What are the chances...

Anyway sorry about the vomit-green color, here in no order are first pics....

20180212_121936.jpg

20180212_122008.jpg

20180212_122018.jpg

20180212_122055.jpg

20180212_122101.jpg

20180212_122109.jpg

15. tommymac

Hi @It'l Dodat would you be able to contact me. I have the same one, in good working order. Love your story.

To contact me, start a 'Conversation' on CCS.

Thanks

Trev