Camp Kitchen

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by mbechtel, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mbechtel

I started working on a camp kitchen box last winter and then summer came. Well, it's winter again and decided it was time to finish it. When I go camping with my wife, it's a very relaxed affair, with a comfy base camp. We strike out from there and travel light.
    I wanted the box to hold everything except the tent and sleeping bags. We usually use a Coleman suitcase, oven, lantern...the works. I designed the box to hold a 425 or similiar small 2-burner and a 242 or 200A sized Coleman lantern...in this case it's a 288 with a Canadian Coleman 4M (my favorite)

1325530221-1_opt.jpg

I also tried out some others just for fun, and I know I'll be taking 111's, the Primus 100 and some others depending on what we are doing.

1325530422-2_opt.jpg 1325530448-3_opt.jpg 1325530462-4_opt.jpg 1325530478-5_opt.jpg

The other side houses the oven, windshields, cutting board, mess kit and there's room for more odds and ends if needed. The mess kit is an old Mirro, that includes my favorite kettle.

1325530684-6_opt.jpg 1325530701-mirro_set_opt.jpg

It's heavy, but not too big for 1 man to carry from the car to the picnic table or campsite...it's easy for 2 people.

1325530824-7_opt.jpg

I still have to add some chains to limit the amount of travel on the lid. The box also fits nicely on Coleman 4 leg stove stand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Michael1965

Michael1965 Subscriber

Hello mbechtel,

Nice Camp Kitchen Box! :thumbup: I like it! :clap: Nice work you've done there!

Best regards,

Mike.

3. teletim

Brilliant!

4. linux_author

love that box! nice job!

and i like the Mirro set - i'm always on the lookout for some nice billy pots or kettles in vintage U.S. aluminum... found a heavy duty set of three '1944 RSA' cook pots (1, 2.5, and 4-gallon) for $12 two years ago!

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. nzmike

Excellent set up! :thumbup: Nothing like having all your stuff in one handy grab-n-go box. Loving the mess set, too, real TARDIS stuff.

The Buick is lovely, my Dad had a Morris Minor Woody in the same vein, but much smaller.

7. Big BTU

Big BTU Subscriber

Really nice setup. I would add a removable wooden divider for when you are carrying 2 of the smaller case stoves.

Helluva nice Woodie too. If I could camp with that Woodie & this box I would also have the servants to carry it and fix my dinner.

8. Chef BC

mbechte,
    Super job! Is it made of #3 white pine? I know there all kinds of possablities but what are the measurements of this one? I like the natural appearance of the knots and the off dimension slats on the outside. Must smell good too.

9. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Wow I love it. I bet it was very satisfying making that box,Each time you open it you will get that satisfaction back again.Good choice of lumbar too.

10. hoodie

Nice chuck Box, I like the custom set up. I bought the plans for the Grubby 1 box from a guy online who does plans/kits/finished, built it over winter made one modification by adding a knife block; best thing for family camping. I will find some picks and do a post as well.

Grubby 1

11. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Nice one, very nice workmanship!

The design of the box screams to have it branded "ACME EXPLOSIVES" though! :)

12. gunsoo

Hi Mbechtel.
    PERFECT :thumbup:

13. hikin_jim

:lol: Wyle E. Coyote would be proud.

Beautiful work. VERY nice. I think an attempt on my part would look more like a beggar's shack than the work of art that yours is.

HJ

14. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Very nice, Mike, and wonderful contents too.

15. toonsgt

Super kit! I'm going to my shop and get started on one like that. Really well made.

The only thing missing are the Coleman Chef's Trays that go on the side of the stove and a high stand. And from appearance, both will fit nicely in there.

Thanks for posting this,

Mike

16. Michael1965

Michael1965 Subscriber

Hey Mbechtel,

What are the two aluminum boxes next to the cutting board in your box? They look like "in the field" clipboards I have used for field data collection.

If they are clipboards what are you using them for?

Best regards,

Mike.

17. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

sure beats the gray plastic tub i toss everything into...well off to the lumber yard!!

18. Chef BC

Forgive me if I have posted this here before but it shows the Swiss Room Box which is a terrific idea! If I figure the conversion rate correctly for what the kit alone costs, I need to find a deceased relative with a garage full of unused Optimus 199s! There has got to be someone out there who is a master of reverse engineering! :whistle:

19. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Mmmm, That IS a marvel, and If I had an extra $9,239.26 USD plus shipping, I'd go for it! :shock:
    :^o [-( :lol:

20. mbechtel

Thanks for the comments gents.
    To try to answer a few questions...Michael, what looks like 2 clip boards next to the pot set is actually a folded up Coleman oven.
    The wood is a low grade pine. I picked each board for straightness AND character. I love that the bark is still on some of the pieces. I built it with brass screws and nails for the most part. It's also glued together with Gorilla glue and finished with Teak oil. I don't have the exact dimensions, as I didn't really use a tape measure, I just used the pieces of equipment to gauge the appropriate dimensions.
    If I'm going to carry multiple smaller stoves, I'll just wrap a small towel around them to keep them from clanging around. I can fit three 1 pint brassies in there, so I have a 3 burner if needed! Some other things that fit in the compartment that's currently holding the coffee cups is a full 1 gallon can of Coleman fuel or a Coleman 502 in it's case. I could actually fit enough stuff in there that I wouldn't be able to pick it up. I grabbed every single piece of equipment I had and made sure there was a compartment that it could fit in. I learned from the last box I made that it was just too limited. I tried to think of every scenario. That way I can modify it's contents to suit the situation.
    Dave, I used a Rubbermaid tub for years and everything just kept getting banged up. Everytime I picked it up, the contents would move to the center, fall over, etc. What a pain. And somehow a plastic tub filled with old classic equipment seemed....wrong. I studied many such boxes first to see what I wanted to do before actually building it. This is what I came up with.
    Mike, (toonsgt), I've been on the look out for those chef's trays. The last time I saw them pop up on Ebay, I left the auction when they got over $50. I have the steel leg high stand already and it's in it's own wood box from a previous owner.
    I'm sure there will be some small modifications to come...I want to be able to use the lid as a work surface if need be and I still need to add those chains. I think when the weather turns nicer in the spring, I'll do some backyard experimenting to see how I can improve it.

I would have rather used cedar, but the price tag was a bit too high. The pine I used is 3/4", but 1/2" would work and save some weight.