Camping Gaz Adapter

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by RonPH, Mar 27, 2010.

1. RonPH

When I received the adapter from Chickenthief, I immediately rounded the metal at the center so that it would not deform the plastic plunger on the canister. Little did I know that in doing so, I reduced the gap by about less than a millimeter which made a big difference. When I assembled the adapter and turned on the control knob I only heard a faint hiss...not enough to really get the burner working ](*,) . Coming home from fishing (I got skunked), I stopped by the hardware and bought me a brass rod the size of the canister hole.

Here is how the Camping Gaz lower section looks like

Pic01.jpg

I then cut a piece of rod slightly longer than the center piercing rod and on one end I filed it into a V-chisel point

Pic02.jpg

On the longer rod, using a file, I filed a V-groove

Pic03.jpg

Using a c-clamp I secured the two rods which looks like an inverted T, fluxed it, and brazed it

Pic04.jpg

I then cleaned up the hardened flux and sanded it down a bit, cut the sides exactly as the original part, rounded the long end of the brass rod and here is how it looks...slightly longer than the original

Pic05.jpg

I re-assembled the parts and now the rod is slightly protruding out of the rubber seal as compared to the original which was recessed.

Pic06.jpg

Screwed the adaptor on to a canister that has a lindal valve male thread, then screwed on the burner to the adaptor. I then turned on the flame control knob and heard a solid hiss. So I lighted her up :mrgreen:

Pic07.jpg

And there you have it, a perfectly usable Camping Gaz formerly using a punch type canister - NOW using a screw on type canister. Even the canister holder accepts the base of the can perfectly :thumbup:

Pic08.jpg

:D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

Hope this short tutorial helps others who might have shortened the center rod too much.

Ron

2. dday

dday Subscriber

Hi Ron,
    Nice work my friend :clap: . You might have saved me alot of grief as I received my adaptor from Henrik last week, but haven't ground my pin yet. Thanks again and nice job, your flame looks great!
    Dan

3. RonPH

Hey Dan,

I do need to practice on my brazing skills and the rod might make one or two more of these and hopefully a cleaner braze. Kinda hard working with just ordinary house tools but I guess thats the challenge to it all :-k I was comparing the center pin to the gassie adaptor I have and a round rod does the trick much better than the original center pin of the CG which is flat.

On a side note I will be brazing some large hooks as sturgeon as well as halibut season is nearing soon.

Ron

4. Knight84

Nice work Ron. :clap: :clap:

Cheers,
    Jeff

5. -/-

Me likes wav.gif

But i still carry a 2mm shorter replacement for those unfortunate members without mechanical abilities!

6. hikin_jim

Looks really good, Ron, and your solution has the advantage that I can always go back to the piercable canisters if I want to.

HJ

7. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Being one of the unfortunate members without mechanical abilities, how much do I file down on the original piece to avoid making it too short? I need a stove for a brew up next month on the Pepin 3 Speed Tour and am considering the globetrotter or possibly my Rando 360.

8. teletim

Nice work Ron!
    Cheers Tim

9. RonPH

HJ sez
    You think the pierceable canisters will make a come-back :shock: ?

Ron

10. Knight84

I just found 4 pierceable gaz canisters for 8$ :D/

Funny part is I don't have a gaz stove or lantern. I think I am doomed. :lol: Next week I will no doubt own a stove. ](*,) ](*,)

Not a gassie!

Jeff

11. -/-

Start by making the point flat and @0.5mm wide, if you have the red adapter. If it is orange then theres hardly any possibillity of making it to short. And if you do make it to short then just PM me and i'll ship one of the shorter ones free of charge!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I may have time this weekend to play with gas. This process is rather fascinating to me, between Henrik's adapters and the sort sold on ebay there seem to be a growing number of options available to keep the bluets alive and kicking.

13. -/-

As the bloke in charge of the firing squard said: We aim to please ;)

Seriosly though, I have a very small mashine shop (lathe anf mill + shere determination) and love a good challenge ie making gadgets. So this adapter thing is pure fun for me and the endresult = Keeping aging/obselete stoves alive for many years to come.

14. RonPH

Henrik, thats the spirit :thumbup: and it keeps you from aging faster too....the lager helps slow down the aging or when you need a break from making all this adapters. I will put in more suggestions as it comes up. Quick question...can you do brass...I have something in mind.

Ron

15. -/-

No problemo Ron. Max. 180mm diam x 250mm long.
    If you can draw it i can make it.

16. RonPH

Great then Henrik :thumbup: . As soon as I have it drawn up. Will email it to you....uhm which email should I use....PM me on that.

Ron

17. hikin_jim

Quick, Jeff, mail them all to me. Don't let the gassies get you!

HJ

18. hikin_jim

God forbid. :lol:

It's just nice to have options, that's all.

HJ

19. Knight84

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too late Jim I have a gas heater and lantern now. Soon I will be part of the dark side. Only the sweet smell of a kero burner will save me now. :lol:

I must admit these gassies are damn handy. Burn hot and simmer with the best of them. Thanks to all these adapter being made I will be able to fill any can now too. :D/

Jeff

20. Ian

Ian Subscriber

They may not make a come-back as such but there is still obviously a demand for them as they are still being produced, (on this side of the Atlantic, anyway).
    I know of several places where I can buy them locally and the retailers have no problems getting new stock in.