Camping-Gaz "globe trotter" military version?

Discussion in 'France' started by blabast88, May 8, 2021.

1. blabast88

blabast88 France Subscriber

Hi,

I guess you've seen a lot of camping-gaz globe-trotters around, as it's a pretty common gassie... But have you already seen this version?
    It is different from the standard model, especially by its color scheme and the pots. I listed the major differences:

• the color, which is not the standard blue from camping-gaz, but a matt olive green
    • the burner part is also from a different color, a kind of "bronze". Maybe the standard metal was too shiny, and that bronze color was part of the "military" requirements?
    • the pots, way thicker than the originals, and coming with integrated handles that locks in place when the stove is nested inside the pots, with 4 different rivets (disposed in two levels for two positions: stove folded, and deployed)
    • you've certainly guessed it with the previous difference: no detachable handle / pot support as on the normal version.
    According to its color and the bulky pots, I assume it could be a military version. Well, I might say a military prototype, made of course by camping-gaz. I have no information on it, yet. But, it's the very first one of its kind I've seen, beside dozens / hundreds of other "standard" globe-trotters models... I'm calling it a prototype, because if the french army have finally ordered this version, we would see more of them on the market...

I guess that the canister would have come in an olive green color as well. This version is not perfect, by the way: the aluminium doesn't seem good quality, and the rivets are making deeps scratches when trying to nest the pots together in the "folded" position. Otherwise, it's an interesting model, with some interesting nesting solutions (even if they're not perfect).

Pictures:

1. Overall view of the stove and its pots.

IMG_4651.JPG

2. Side-to-side with a "Globe-trotter 106" version. It would have been more accurate to compare it with the older "globe trotter" model, slightly different, as already mentionned in the globe-trotter post.

IMG_4639.JPG

3. Another view, side-to-side. Note the particular shape of the pots from the "military" version, designed to fit the handles.

IMG_4640.JPG

4. Last view side-to-side, with both stoves still nested inside.

IMG_4641.JPG

5. Detail of the rivets and how they allow the handles to stay locked in place.

IMG_4643.JPG

6. Unlocking the handles. It's pretty easy to do so, but it's still keeping the whole kit in place when it's locked.

IMG_4644.JPG

7. Both kits opened, side-to-side.

IMG_4645.JPG

8. View from above, side-to-side.

IMG_4646.JPG

9. Comparing the colors of the two stoves: you can of course see the difference between the standard blue and the matt olive green, but the burner part is also different, with some kind of bronze tone.

IMG_4647.JPG

10. View from above, side-to-side.

IMG_4648.JPG

11. The "military" version, pots opened and stove unfolded. The two levels of rivets allow to transport the stove folded, in the pots.

IMG_4650.JPG

12. Detail of the logo, which makes no doubt about that stove's origin (an original camping-gaz product, and not something made by a customer).

IMG_4654.JPG

13. Detail of the lower part of the stove. Even that part is painted. Some light scratches on the olive green paint are attesting that this stove wasn't blue at the beginning, but that it was painted in this particular color directly on the metal body. Another clue that this model was specially made this way.

IMG_4655.JPG

The seller had no particular information on it, except one indication that reinforce the military origin of that stove: apparently it came in a cardboard that looked from the army, with a few other items (canteens, for example). It is supposedly coming from the french army based in Clermont-Ferrand, which is only about 100km far from Lyon, where Camping-gaz factory is based. We can imagine that, if this model was a military prototype made by camping-gaz for the army, they would have first test it in the closest military bases...

I hope to get more infos on it ;)

Bastien

Attached Files:

2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

That's nice. Clever panset.

3. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Very interesting. A Globetrotter MKII?
    I like the rivets and handles.

4. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Very nice:

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@blabast88 Very interesting Bastien. Good hunting in your search for more background.
    I don’t understand. Could you demonstrate what you mean?

John

6. blabast88

Well, we can't really call it a Globe-trotter MK2... This name would eventually fit the "Globe-trotter 106" with the improvement of notches that prevent the gas canister from turning when screwed on. I guess we'll simply consider it as a prototype, so far ;) I'm really not sure that this stove / model made it into production line... More a trial from camping-gaz to get some contract with the army, but maybe not more than a prototype...

We could eventually date this prototype from late 1970's. I found more information about the "civil" / "regular" globe-trotter stove, that was initially developped in 1975 and first sold in 1976 (I'll post a new topic in the next weeks, hopefully, dealing with those aspects). In 1979, the canister changed a little bit, and that improvement came in the name of "globe-trotter 106". That military prototype is like the first model, so I could propose a datation between 1976 and 1979.

Well, unfortunately I can't really demonstrate it, as the pot are not a perfect fit (one has a dent on it, and even without this dent it's quite hard to make the two pots nesting together until "position 2"). But I'll try to explain it a bit better:

On the picture below, the stove is nested in the pots in the "deployed position", or "position 1" as I call it, meaning the working position, with normally a canister on, and legs unfolded. When there is no canister on the stove, and when the legs are folded up, it is possible to put the pots in "position 2". That means that the upper pot comes down a bit more, allowing the handles to be blocked in the lower rivets (in red on the picture). The whole kit is nested together nicely in that way, and takes less space in the bag. That's what I meant in my original message, but I agree that wasn't very clear... ;)

InkedIMG_4644_LI.jpg

Well, I guess you're quite lucky: writing this, I just found one of the pictures from the person who sold me the stove, that was more successful than me and could nest the pots almost until "position 2":

image_67149569.JPG

Bastien.

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

8. Lance

A nice small pall-peen hammer will knock that dimple out enough to make it much easier to nest the pots. Use a small block of wood against the dimple from the inside of the pot and tap on the wood not the pot. You don't have to make it perfect just enough to get the pots to nest easier.

lance

9. blabast88

Hi @Lance ,

That's an idea, yes. I'll take some time, one day, to do so. ;) Thanks for the tip!

Bastien

10. kohdarmiansali

Hello, very beautiful and excellent
    Haven't these capsules been produced yet?
    Thanks

11. blabast88

12. kohdarmiansali

13. blabast88

Hi @kohdarmiansali,

Ok, you're talking about the gas canisters. Well, those two different stoves have different types of canister.

- The bleuet butane (model from 1956, like the one on your picture) uses the camping-gaz "bidon bleu" 75 cartridge. That type of canister was produced until the late 1970's or even the 1980's, and disappeared then.

- The globe-trotter uses a specific cartridge created for that stove. They first created the "GT" cartridge, produced between 1976 and 1978, and from 1979 it was replaced by the "GT 106" cartridge, including 6 notches to prevent any rotation of the cartridge, and of course to prevent any leak. That type of cartridge isn't produced anymore nowadays.

Bastien

14. kohdarmiansali

Thank you for your complete and comprehensive explanation. Thank you for your attention and kindness With luck:clap:

15. blabast88

You're welcome ;)

I'll ad some more details to my explanation:

The camping-gaz "bidon bleu" 75 cartridge was the first disposable / pierceable butane canister available on the french market (it could be a world premiere, but I don't know enough the brands from other countries to be sure of that). It was patended in 1955, and sold from the end of spring / beginning of summer 1956. I suppose that it brought some troubles to a few other brands, or even litterally "killed" them, as this new kind of product was a true revolution... It was lightweight, pretty powerful, had the advantages of butane-type stoves (no soot on the pots)... I know at least one brand that didn't really take that disposable canister "wave" and disappeared in the years after the Bleuet butane release (not long after 1956). There must be others, but documentation from this era is yet to be found / shown here, what I'm about to do as soon as I get complete elements about it. There's more to come :)

I'll soon post something about that Bleuet butane stove, as my documentation about it is getting pretty consistent, as long as my stove collection about this model.

Bastien

16. kohdarmiansali

Thank you, you are really a complete researcher about different types of stoves
    You provide good information about them
    It is an honor to meet you

17. blabast88

Thanks for the compliment ;) I do my best to bring those old models into the light... Especially french brands, and even more butane / gas stoves...

Nice to meet you too :)

18. Twoberth

@blabast88 Slight drift here by me, but I have a couple of GT106 cartridges containing mixed gas, (picture of one posted here) and printed on the can side it says 'Coleman UK'.
    I understand Coleman acquired CG in 1996. Does this mean the cartridges were made after 1996 or was there a distribution agreement with Coleman before that.

19. blabast88

that's a very good question @Twoberth ...

Well, I can't be sure of what I'll say, as I don't have strong evidences of it, but I think that there might be some distribution agreement with coleman, maybe before 1996. That was the case with Optimus as well for Scandinavia, and maybe even for the USA where you can find advertisements under the Optimus name, showing clearly Camping-Gaz products. Even stoves were marked Optimus: example here, I don't remember from where it came from, but as long as I can tell it has been sold on Ebay and came from the USA...

s-l1600 (6).jpg

So, I guess we might consider the possibility of a distribution agreement before Camping-Gaz was bought by Coleman...

THAT SAID, I must admit that your canisters look quite recent. I would say dating from the 1990's, but even more from the second half of the decade. On french cartridges there is a production date, which is an interesting clue... But it seems like yours haven't such a date stamped on yours...

Bastien

20. Twoberth

Many thanks Bastien.