Campingo 2 info please

Discussion in 'Optimus Campingo No:2 (laterly No:20)' started by Dave Sherry, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Dave Sherry New Zealand

Hello all,

Appreciate any help in restoring my newly acquired Campingo 2 here in New Zealand. Although this forum has been instrumental in my education and sudden urge to buy one that came up on Trademe here, I can't find much info on this unit at all especially exploded parts schematics or other info on where to obtain parts. Mind you, this is typical of me - find a bolt and then piece together the Land Rover it came from. It's some kind of illness I have been told.

I am especially looking for the usual consumables including white spirits jets. I heard (from where I cannot remember) that Campingos are able to use both Kero and White spirits so I am not sure if different jets are required for each fuel. As the vendor had previously advised jets would need replacing I thought I would just replace them anyway.

I would be extremely grateful for any information regarding restoration of the unit which I must say does look quite good - to my inexperienced eye!

I plan on using the unit as a daily driver for outings and camping. I have posted the pictures that sold me (The vendor's photos) and I will post restoration pictures as I go !

Thanks in advance!

Optimus Campingo 2 1.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 3.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 2.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 4.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 5.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 6.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 7.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 8.jpg Optimus Campingo 2 9.jpg

2. threedots New Zealand

Hello @Dave Sherry .
    Your Campingo(early twin burner Optimus 20?) is the last model(3rd) before the later Optimus 22. It was able to burn Kerosene and White Gas using standard Kerosene jets. I currently have 3 Campingo (2nd and 3rd twin burner models) after having 6 in total. They are a good reliable stove that will give you good service providing the seals and jets are in good condition. I personally would use only Kerosene in this stove unless you know that the seals are in good condition. Your stove jets may only require pricking to clean them as they may not be worn.

I have seen them painted mainly in Dark English Green, then Silver and Black colours. Silver not so much and Black I have seen once. The paint looked original.
    I once had a Black one that the previous owner had used only white gas and it was jetted as a dedicated White Gas stove only. Whether it was sold new originally as a White Gas burner I do not know.
    Cheers, John

3. Dave Sherry New Zealand

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply. Is there a reliable source for jets for these somewhere and do they use a jet common to to other stoves perhaps?

Any idea where I might get seals from?

Thanks again! cheers Dave

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice condition, mine has I guess the early control knobs.
    Duane

5. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. The campingo seems to be reasonably common in NZ but still a good score. I can help you out with seals or if you are handy you could get some nitrile or Viton rubber sheet to make your own, if you have some hole punches. Try somewhere like Shuks engineering if they have a branch in Auckland or another gasket maker. Have you looked at the leather cup on the end of the pump? If it is intact then soaking it in some clean motor oil will revive it. As threedots said kerosene would be the safest fuel to use in the stove. The seal in the tank cap will need to be replaced and also the non-return valve (NRV) pip but you may need to fashion a tool remove the valve from the bottom of the pump tube. I’m not sure that replacement jets are easily available but once you get the stove going it will be easy to tell what condition they are in, they may just need pricking to clean them out.

6. Dave Sherry New Zealand

Thanks mate,

Appreciate the advice. I am keen to refurb the unit so once I get started I don't like stopping and waiting for bits. They tend to scream at me everytime I walk past them. There's a few projects doing exaclty that right now. :-(

The person i bought it off mentioned the jets might need a clean so i will get the little pricker out, give the jets a rark up, fire it up and see what the score is and then decide from there.

Everyone seems weighted towards Kero so that will the way i'll go. Simplifies logistics too. Remind me please which one smells the least Kero or Para? Do you ahve abrand preference at all?

I would be keen on getting a couple of sets of seals off you too - I will definitely be in touch for those.

7. Dave Sherry New Zealand

Thanks, yes, I think I was quite lucky with this baby. It's got good bones so a nice place to start a refurb. Usually I start with a bolt and it's all uphill from there....

8. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

@Dave Sherry Paraffin is just another name for kero so same stuff. The best I got was from a bulk fuel supplier but I was filling a 20 litre container each time. Otherwise just get the cheapest you can find from Bunnings or similar.

9. Dave Sherry New Zealand

Ok great info thanks!