Campingo #2.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MrAlexxx, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

With all the extra spare time decided to jump onto another Campingo single I've had for a while. I really like the Campingo singles and have been pretty lucky finding them. Pretty solid looking case.

1.JPG

I was assured by the PO that everything was there. Looked like it to me. It was just beyond his capabilities. Maybe beyond mine as well??? Another project joins the line...

2.JPG

Pieced it together but soon found out that the NRV head was rounded off beyond any hope of getting any kind of a tool to grab onto it. Pump tube would have to come out.

*gulp* :(

Back into the fettle line for another year than with this extra time decided to tackle it. Someone had originally soldered it into place and now someone would have to remove it, repair it and do the same thing to make it functional again. I think I can do this...

All set up for pump tube removal surgery. Removal is the easy part.

3.JPG

Got this small torch set up at the swap meet. Used it a few times and for this small stuff, it is the cat's meow. I've seen them with propane and oxygen but this one came with MAPP and oxygen so I just left it that way.

4.JPG

A few seconds of heat and there was no going back. It came out easily.

5.JPG

There's the little trouble maker on the end.

6.JPG

That's an awfully BIG hole to fill again Dr. Alex. lol

7.JPG

All cleaned up with fine steel wool.

8.JPG

Read on here someplace about using nail polish to stop the flow of solder so went and looked where FireStarter(Linda) keeps her stash of woman's stuff at my place. We are self isolating apart for a few more days so I rummaged through her nail polish and grabbed a color I liked.

How did this picture get in here??? You weren't supposed to see this. Really...I DID NOT paint my nails!!! It looks like a nice bright color easy to see, right? That's all I was checking, really! lol :)

DSC05593.JPG

Used some sticky painters tape and masked the fuel tank off and then painted the remaining area as close as I could to the pump tube hole. Didn't want any solder to run anyplace except to where it was supposed to.

9.JPG

Used a small paintbrush to run some soldering flux around the rim of the hole.

10.JPG

Heated up the hole being careful not to get things too hot. Had wet rags covering the soldered areas of the tank to protect them from the heat. Touched the solder to the hole edge in two or three places waving the flame over it back and forth and the solder flowed and adhered itself nicely to the hole edge. Looks good. YAY!!! :)

Tried to insert the pump tube with the new NRV on it into the hole but it was now a tight fit so grabbed a small round file and carefully worked a couple of high spots down. Tested it and it slid in nicely. I had carefully measured how far the pump tube was sticking out before I removed it and as luck would have it it was the same measurement now just the tube resting on the tank bottom. So was real easy not having to rig something up to hold it in place.

Looking at the pump tube I remembered helping my Dad solder the copper pipe plumbing when we were building our new house on the farm. He had shown me how to properly "tin" the pipe ends so when inserted into a fitting and soldered everything was leak-free. All these years later and many times in my life that Father-son lesson has served me well. I was sure it would once again. When I had cleaned the excess solder off of the pump tube heating and wiping with a clean rag and then further cleaning with the steel wool it had left enough solder that I still considered it "tinned" enough. Thanks Dad! :)

Getting ready to button things up. Tube in with some flux carefully painted around the bottom edge of the tube.

11.JPG

Turned the torch on brushing the flame around the tube/tank joint slowly back and forth and it was easy to see the solder follow the flux and move towards and adhere itself onto the pump tube. I didn't think I would need any extra solder and I didn't. In a matter of seconds, it was all over.

Cleaned up. Looks good. I can live with that. I wonder if Mr. Campingo would have hired me? On second thought probably not. I can hear him now....

"What? Whatsamattawityou??? Only one pump tube in an hour? There's the door get out of here!" lol

12.JPG

Checked the seal by dunking in a tub of water. No bubbles around the soldered joint and none out of the NRV. Time to put this thing together.

Wasn't sure about the burner to fuel line joint. Couldn't seem to get a nice snug fit so recalled reading something Duane had done using an annealed brass washer between the pieces to get a nice tight seal. Double checked with him and that was indeed what he had done. Thanks Duane. YOU DA MAN!.
    Annealing a couple of washers. I remembered this crackerjack of a machinist at work telling me once that when annealing just use a felt pen and when it burns off its hot enough. I've never done it before. I hope he was right. He was a real smart guy. Scottish...extremely cheap but very smart. lol

Torch on ready to anneal the washers. Basically to soften them up so I can get a good seal. Marked with felt pen on the edge.

DSC05538.JPG

Ran the flame slowly over the washers and soon enough the felt pen ink burned off. I guess they are done.

DSC05539.JPG

Used one for the fuel line to burner connection and I could snug it up nicely.

Time for a test burn on the bench. Prime flame on and a little bit of green burn off.

14.JPG

It wants to go without any pumping. More green light show.

15.JPG

A few pumps and here we go.

DSC05545.JPG

DSC05544.JPG

Let it burn for probably 10-15 minutes throttling it up and down. No leaks. Annealed washer worked well.
    Looks good into the case you go.

17.JPG

I think that's a wrap. My new favorite! :)

16.JPG

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Well wrought.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice solder job, wish I was half that good, maybe a hotter torch to quicken things.
    Duane

4. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Nice work! That's a nice little stove. :thumbup:

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  6. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

HV @MrAlexxx
    This is certainly hitting the 3 x G’s

Great stove
    Great work
    Great story (love your nail polish ;-))

Very well done - I like the style and build quality of the old Campingos though I still have one on my wanted-list.
    Thanks for taking your time to document your work!

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@MrAlexxx ,

Excellent solder job, Good Sir!! The Campingo is a fantastic stove, too, and well worth owning, and using. Thanks for sharing yours with us, and again, well done. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Great job.

9. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Well done, nice blue flame!

10. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Nicely done!