Campmor's Ledmark Cookset - Review

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by T-Bone, Feb 7, 2011.

1. T-Bone

This appears to be an $18.99 work-alike of the more expensive Trangia 25-1 cookset (around $76-80 US). It has its own version of the famous Trangia burner yet without the simmer ring. Like the Trangia setup, it also has 2 pots, a separate frying pan/lid, and a 2 part base/windscreen, a strap to hold the works together and a pot lifter. In most of the ads I've seen for this stove show that they have the base/windscreen upside down. The aluminum seems to be fairly solid with close fitting tolerances enabling this to fold into a fairly small, lightweight package. Weight is listed as:
    Weight 25.28 oz 716.6 g

I did a fairly non-scientific test. I ran tap water until it ran cold then measured 1 quart to fill the larger pot. The fill line of the pot seems to be at 1 quart. I then lit the burner, assembled the cookset including the pan of water, and immediately bagan timing. There was no priming step and I did not wait for the burner to warp up. I used no lid in these tests unless specified.

------ TEST -----------------------------------------------
    Swedish military stove (stainless steel) using a new Trangia burner
    9:18 to achieve a rolling boil

Ledmark cookset using the Ledmark burner
    11:20 to achieve a rolling boil

Ledmark cookset using a new Trangia burner
    9:20 to achieve a rolling boil

And just as a benchmark:
    Optimus 111T silent burner w/ kerosene and copper kettle (with lid on)
    3:40 (does not include 1:30 additional time for priming with Heet fuel additive.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

OBSERVATIONS
    It looks like the Trangia burner is much more powerful and tends to shave about 2 minutes off the time to boil a quart of water in the Ledmark.

The military Trangia burner seems to be every bit as powerful and the new model, but the simmer ring (if purchased separately) does not fill that well; although it can be made to work without modification. It will NOT fit in the Ledmark base. The modern Trangia fits fine.

I've seen kettles for this cookset, but I already have a kettle for a Trangia 127 series. I was able to make it work by taking an old grill and cutting a circle out of it with a grinder. I left about 1/4 inch gap on the sides which works about equivalent to the cook pots for performance.

The finish on the pots and pan are plain aluminum. I would think they could be seasoned much like cast iron, by heating, spraying a bit of PAM spray then wiping down with a paper towel as it cools.

Regardless, I'm not ready to give up my pressure stove for one of these, but paired with a genuine Trangia burner, it makes a fine addition to my collection.

[I'll add some pics later when I get home...]

2. hikin_jim

I'd be curious as to how it compares to an actual 25-1.

HJ

3. tetley

if they were that cheap here in the uk, i'd have one

it's under 40 fags :rage:

4. T-Bone

As to comparing this to a 25-1, if there were a site on the Internet where someone had 1 (or more) of each, this would be it. :lol:

Here are the promised pics:

1297124741-IMG_3922_web.jpg

1297124757-IMG_3923_web.jpg

1297124765-IMG_3924_web.jpg

1297124780-IMG_3925_web.jpg

1297124790-IMG_3926_web.jpg

1297124799-IMG_3927_web.jpg

Just in case you are wondering, the other cookset in the pictures is my Swedish military stove. I included it to help get a sense of the size of the Ledmark.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. linux_author

interesting - i had a Ledmark from Campmor and it did not have the metal 'struts'...

didn't a see mention that the picture on the outside of the Ledmark's box has the stove assembled upside down...

:lol:

(gave my unused set to a local scoutmaster, as two weeks after buying the Ledmark, i found a Trangia 27 set for $1 at a local flea market)

6. T-Bone

Metal 'struts'? You mean my improvised grill?

As to being upside down. I saw a reviewer of the stove ranting and raving about the fact that the stove didn't work, there was no way to support the pot, etc., etc. I agree, they should have said something. Maybe that why they are so cheap? :-s

And $1 for a Trangia 27!?!? Some guys get all the breaks. Congrats.

7. wedgie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. T-Bone

That can't be the same stove. I mean look at the base - it's right side up! :whistle:

Seriously, it looks like a good deal and I think it works out to be better than $2 cheaper than here in the states.

9. linux_author

unlike this one?

|imgRemoved|

(it's in the pu pu platter position?)

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. hikin_jim

Marketing at it's finest.

HJ

11. nzmike

Is it just me or are those cook sets going rabbit on us? Not that I'm complaining, mind, they are good sets at a great price. If this keeps up we'll be holding a Ledmore weekend. :mrgreen:

12. linux_author

i do have to say in defense of Ledmark: the Ledmark 1L kettle is a spanking good deal at US$7.99, and its quality is as good as, if not better than Trangia's kettle:

1297205851-kettle.jpg

13. T-Bone

$7.99!! I wish I had known that $15 ago. :doh: