Can anyone help with identifying this stove please?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Neal, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Neal

Neal United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi everyone

I recently 'inherited' an old Optimus stove with a a boat I bought from someone. I didn't even realise the stove was buried in a storage loocker onboard until earlier today but no that I have found it I'm getting a bit confused trying to identify exactly which model it is.

I've (hopefully) attached a picture below.

I've been psending all afternoon trying to get the hang of what seem like very similar looking models.... hiker (same as 111 t or b or ?), hiker plus (follow on from hiker obviously).

All Greek to me. So I've admitted it's beyond me and I hoped someone here with (much) more knowledge than might be able to help me out.

FWIW there were denatured alcohol bottles (half full) stored with it so I'm guesing that's what the guy was using with it. Can it do Coleman too ? Where can I find out more about it's capabilities please?

It doesn't seem to have any othre jets with it though :(

Anyway, here it is.... thanks

Neal 20190418_003027.jpg

2. Four Smokes Wallup

Four Smokes Wallup Subscriber

It appears to be an Optimus Hiker + multifuel stove.

3. Lennart F Sweden

4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS
    AFTER you will have checked the srv and nrv And done a dunk test. Here are others thing needed to have a good working stove.
    Have fun
    Optimus Hiker+ fuel filter

5. Neal

Thanks very much everyone for identifying the stove for me and some tips to get safe use from it.

Just to satisfy my curiosity (I've just got to know!)....

Was there a Hiker (without the plus) made at some point beforehand which had 2 jets? One jet for all the same range of fuels as the plus model and the 2nd jet allowing you to burn alcohol as well?

If there was such a stove known as the (straight, non-plus)) Hiker it seems odd that this Hiker "Plus" is really a bit like a "hiker minus" as it's functionality is actually reduced.

Am I right about the original Hiker's capabilities?

Thanks again

P.S. I never realised stoves were so interesting before :)

6. afoton

The different models of 111 (at least 111T and 111C) was marked 'Hiker'.
    I think Optimus think 'plus' is easier to sell than 'minus'. About the same time Hiker plus came, Nova plus also came, both based on the same burner (which also was used on Nova).

7. Neal

Ok. Thanks for explaining about the 111 Hiker being a whole series of stoves with the 'plus' just being the latest in the line (or the successor to them anyway).

Yes your right. Although it actually is a minus in the sense of being less capable than its predecessor, I agree that marketibg it as a Hiker Minus wood be pretty silly really.

It's the difference between what it actually is (minus, compared to its predecessor) and what Optimus would like to falsely imply it is (plus, as in more capable than its predecessor)

It's classic marketing BS.

Anyway I'm going to have a go at renovating it. Don't have a clue what I'm doing but this forum is a great place to learn so I'll be reading up from here as much as I can

Thanks again everyone for all your advice ☺

Neal