Can anyone make wrenches for Enders?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Doc Mark, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, Mates,

My Dear Brother Sefa recently posted a note in the Trading area of CCS, asking if anyone had a wrench for the larger Enders Military stoves, like the 9060, et.al., he could purchase. Well, I could use several of those, too, and I'll bet that Sefa and I are not the only ones who would greatly benefit from having those wrenches.

So, here's my question: Are there any of you custom parts makers out there, who might want to tackle the manufacture of these very hard to find wrenches for folks like Sefa and me? I would gladly provide one of my few original Enders wrenches to be used as a template, then returned to me, if one of you very talented Stove Parts Artists might like to undertake this much-needed project. I once had three wrenches, but one was cracked, and I sent it to one of our very kind CCS Mates who offered to braze it for me, which he did. Unfortunately, the envelope in which he returned it, arrived ripped completely open, and the wrench was never found, neither by me, nor the Postal Authorities locally and regionally. So, now I'm down to two of those wrenches, but have five stoves that could use them!! Even with my limited math skills, I'm believe I'm a few wrenches short of a full kit..... or as some of my dear Mates here at CCS are sometimes wont to say, "The cheese has slipped off of my (wrench) cracker"!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would imagine any reproduction wrenches should be beefed up a bit, as the originals seem to have a propensity for cracking, just as one that I received as a gift from a former CCS Mate, years ago, had done.

IF any of you talented guys want to go for this, please give me a shout, and we can work out the details. I know that Sefa and I will very much appreciate your efforts, and would be willing to purchase such a good reproduction from you, as would, I'm sure, many others here at CCS!

For those that would do likewise, and buy one or more of these repro Enders wrenches, if they were offered, please post a note here, so that we can actually see what interest there might be a project such as this. Thanks, one and all, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (hopeful and optimistic!)

2. BernieDawg Banned

Heya Doc
    Just for clarification, you mean the wrench shown in this photo:
    1281127633-P1010233_opt.jpg

which is found in this post:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/156413

I'm guessing? Looks well beyond my skills/equipment at the present time, but I'll sure put it on my list of "stuff to think about how to build". I'd definitely be interested in buying some if someone came up with some repros. Maybe that feller Craig doing the Sexy Cap could get some made up?
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/18827/

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi gents, some thought just buzzed through my brain (first thought it was another mosquito attacking me :roll: ). I have seen some rather fine & detailed work being cut out of stainless steel sheet of approx. 1mm thickness using laser techniques. Sure it must be possible to copy a fairly staightforward design like an Enders wrench, using 2mm thick sheet?

Best regards,

Wim (still trying to catch the darn mosquito...)

4. Doc Mark

Howdy, Dawg,

Yep, that's the critter, OK. I think Wim's idea of seeking someone with a laser, might be a good way to do. But, I know nothing about such things, other than the one key I saw which had been made by laser, was made way too thin, and when I was sent one to test, and after talking to some of you fine folks here at CCS, I reported that the key was too fragile, and would break under heavy use. Don't really know what happened after that, but at least for that key, I wasn't too impressed, after the initial attraction was tempered by good common sense. Gary, I very much appreciate your putting this on your list of things to consider. I know that any interested parties would very probably be more than willing to wait for such a fine repro, if it became available. So, as far as I'm concerned, no pressure, and no time schedule. Let's see how all this develops. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Knight84

Hello gentlemen,

Great idea Doc.

I believe the laser cut idea is the best one.

We have a member here that does just that thing with Coleman wrenches. For the M-1950, 520, 523 and M-1942-Mod. Sadly he is a member we don't seen often on here. Canon-joe is the member. I have dealt with him via ebay and he is a great seller and very knowledgeable.

He uses a laser cutter to make the wrenches for the stoves above. And sells them for a very fair price. I don't want to add a ebay link since that will expire. His ebay name is "canon-joe"

I have sent him an email asking if he would be able to copy the Enders wrench and offered to give him one to copy. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. Chef BC

I scanned an enders wrench and saved a pdf adobe file of it on my computer. If anyone would like to have the file sent to them for either laser or waterjet cutting, I would be happy to do so. Just PM.

7. Knight84

What stoves did this wrench come with?

9060D
    9061D
    9063 Baby Enders
    9065D
    9069D

So eight stoves I can think of off the top of my head. Any more? The wrench is the same for all the models as far as I can tell.

ATB,
    Jeff

8. Russenjesus

Russenjesus Subscriber

hallo jeff,
    in my collection i´ve 3 or 4 differents wrenches for Enders stoves.

Maybe i look Monday about the exactly differents.

Markus(RJ)

9. Russenjesus

Russenjesus Subscriber

Hallo Jeff,
    i found this picture with the 3 differents.

RJ

10. Doc Mark

Greetings, Guys,

ChefBC, Jeff, and Markus, many thanks to you all for jumping in on this idea. I hope others might find it worthy enough to post a "yeah, I want (fill-in the blank) of those, too" posts!! Once we get an idea of how many folks want, and would buy them, then we can get serious about making a commitment to anyone who would undertake making them for us! I would buy up to a half dozen, if they were available, of very good quality, and weren't so expensive as to make this entire idea a moot point!

Following your examples, guys, I've dug out the two wrenches that I have that fit this idea, and even found a third, brand spanking new, with a NIB Baby Enders I bought years ago (for $20!), at "that same old swap meet"! I left the new one in it's bag, as it will never be used, or removed, except to enjoy perusing it, or photographing it. But, here are the two wrenches that I have left, each a little different than the other.

1312749121-DSCN0674.JPG 1312749142-DSCN0675.JPG 1312749158-DSCN0676.JPG

I really like the with the Enders stamping on it! Personally, I would rather not have a hole in the end for a chain, though I see the reasons why some would want that. I think this metal already has enough holes in it, and does not need one more which is really superfluous to it's use. I'd go for strength over chain attachment. But, if the majority likes the chain hole, I'm still in! I can make and send measurements, or one of my wrenches, if one of our long-time members, or another trustworthy craftsman, wishes to undertake the manufacture of these wrenches for interested CCS members. Thanks, again, for your comments and input, Gents, and I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. Knight84

Thank you! I thought there were different models/variants

It is always good to hear from our German members.

Joe got back to me and is working on Optimus wrenches. He is concerned about demand for these Enders wrenches.

I think if we can figure ou with variant of wrench to go with and how many we will be set.

Best regards,
    Jeff

12. colemanblues

Doc,
    I may be able to help out you guy's with these wrenches, No promises. But would like to see what that I can do,or find out.I am not sure of the cost either, they would have to be laser,water jet cut. And most likley could have them cut from Stainless?? But the cost would be more. But If you would contact me,I will give you me e-mail address, so you can send me a copy, with specs,So it can be cut properly, so it will work.And I will see what can be done.After I receive the copy give me a few days to get back to you.

Wish me luck, God Bless
    Duane

P.S. as soon as I see the post I will get back to ya.

13. Big BTU

I'm in for 3-4 in stainless! I like the hole personally just because the chain is a handy way of keeping it in the box where it belongs. As to strength Doc, should be plenty strong with a hole in stainless don't you think?

14. BernieDawg Banned

What BBTU said for me, too, please, based on cost, of course.
    Thanks in advance for whatever you can do on this Duane, Doc, Jeff and all.

Cheers,
    Gary

15. Chef BC

I have co-workers who could blast these enders wrenches with a water jet to 1:1 or zoom them up to 500% or reduce to ear ring pendant size in nearly any material you could think of including titanium.........the crux though is their water jet is on a military instalation and I couldn't think of asking my friends to commit fraud, waste or abuse of government equipment. As for the file I have, I cannot paste the Pdf file here because it is in excess of 100 MB and too large. I will E-mail it to anyone who asks for it.

16. Knight84

Can you send me a copy?

What variant of wrench is it?

Cheers,
    Jeff

17. Russenjesus

Russenjesus Subscriber

Good morning at all,

please measure before starting this projekt all wrench sizes!
    The jets have differents wrench-sizes!

Now we have 5 "different" wrenches!

the old one with only 3 wrenchsize in and the other 4 with small differences.

when i go downstairs to my collection maybe i´ll search each stove of my 40 Enders about the wrench:-)) One sort i´m missing.

Markus

P.S. It´s time to buy a technical dictionary! :mrgreen:

18. Doc Mark

Good Morning, Duane,

Welcome to CCS, Sir, and many thanks for jumping into the deep waters already, and offering to help with this project! Much appreciated! I received your nice PT, too, and will be getting back to you, hopefully later today, or tomorrow. Until then, we can all make measurements, and see how close our wrench hole dimensions are to one another. I seem to remember that all of my Enders wrenches have, at least basically, the same size wrench holes, but I will measure them to make sure, and post the info here, and you. Thanks, again, for your kind offer, Duane, and I'll look forward to talking to you soon! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. sefaudi

Wow ! I see with pleasure that my Enders wrench inquiry led to wide discussion on how to produce new ones.

Dear Brother Doc, thanks to you for starting this issue...

20. Doc Mark

Good Morning, Dear Brother Sefa!

You are most welcome, my Friend, and I thank you for asking about this in the first place. It was after reading your post that I decided to make my plea to our membership at large, and see what might transpire. I very much appreciate all the comments so far offered, and think one of the most important bits of information that we need now, is some sort of commitment from those who would purchase such a wrench, if I strong and reliable reproduction was made and offered. So far, only a few of us have made such a commitment, but if we are to bring this idea to fruition, I have a feeling we will need to order far more than a dozen wrenches. So, for those that have not yet made up your minds on this, please do give it some serious consideration. Also, please keep a few further thoughts in your mind:

- The Enders military stoves are simply outstanding performers, which are very robust, fairly simple to maintain, and offer powerful yet controllable heat.

- For most of the Enders stoves I've seen, and for at least half of the ones I own, the wrench has been missing, or damaged beyond use!

- Finally, though these Enders stoves seem to be in very plentiful numbers out there, their wrenches, on the other hand, are not, and getting a used one is not an easy thing to do. I've tried for years with no success whatsoever!

The more wrenches we can order, the less expensive each one will be. So, please jump in here, and put yourselves down for a few of these wrenches. It's still possible that, despite any efforts made by CCS members, this project may fall through, for a variety of reasons. BUT, unless we give this a try, we'll very possibly pass up an opportunity that we will regret missing later!! If I had a huge amount of coin right now, I'd order 50 of these wrenches, as I am most certain that they would sell, if not now, a bit later down the road, as more and more new Stovies discover just how GOOD these old Enders Military stoves are!!!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :D So, let's hear from those that have been holding back, please. Put in an order, and help make this project come to pass! There will probably not be a pressing need for funds right up front. But, we do need a solid number of orders if we are to entice a good craftsman to make these for us. Otherwise, it would be a waste of their time. Thanks for giving this some consideration, Mates, and to my Dear Brother Sefa, many thanks for firing the first shot in what might turn out to be something very worthwhile and satisfying for us all!! Talk to you soon, and as always, God Bless you and yours, my Friend!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc