Can You Help Identify This Stove?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by BigStevie, May 18, 2019.

1. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Folks, a neighbour dug this stove out of his barn, any ideas? Couldn't see any markings. It's a two pinter...

Many Thanks, Stevie
    IMG_20190517_150957 (1).jpg

2. Lennart F Norway

It looks like a 1908 or earlier Primus 1 or 5 with a later burner for a swedish style no:5 stove.
    All that oxide could hide a lot of markings.

3. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks Lennart, I'll see if I can get my hands on it and try and find some markings.

Stevie

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@BigStevie, neat avatar.

An intial de gunk with Cillit works quite well and a good soapy wash, you'll find quite a bit underneath I expect.

Don't leave the cillit on too long.

5. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

It is an Optimus No. 5, very late: from the 1970s. This is true even if it is marked Primus or Svea, as Optimus manufactured under all of these brand names after 1963. It's simply been stored under damp conditions, which is why it looks so much older than it is.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi, It was the shape of the legs that made me think “That is an Optimus bend if ever I saw one”

Then I saw that the filler of the mystery stove was flush rather than being “sunken” or recessed into the tank.
    Recessed filler tubes were a relatively early feature of Primus branded stoves but were only introduced to Optimus No.1 and 5 models in the late 1950s.

It is good that @abbahco1 has suggested an identification and I look forward to seeing what lettering or marks are revealed by a good clean.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

George: I think it is actually recessed, just a shallow recess, as is typical of Optimus post-1963 and the dirty tank and photo angle obscure it, making it appear flush. The upper leg design is from the late '60s/'70s. Leg shape, spirit cup and the later Optimus burner all point to middle '60s through 1970s.

8. Jerome Price United States

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I saw plumbers using a stove very similar to this one to heat up lead on a jobsite quite a few years ago. Something about this stove looks pretty industrial.