Can you identify this stove and basket

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by John Conkey, Jun 29, 2022.

1. John Conkey United Kingdom

Can anyone help me find the maker/supplier of this picnic set. Also approx age.
    It looks similar to Drew and sons En Route sets but maybe a bit more basic. One of the pictures shows a makers mark printed on the leather lid lining.
    thanks picnicbsklogo.jpg IMG_20220629_173532358_HDR.jpg IMG_20220629_173619975_HDR.jpg

2. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

@John Conkey
    New to this side of collecting, but it doesn't look like the Drew and Co trademarks I have found, nor like the pattern around the windshield that they used on other examples. At best it might be in the style of.
    There is some lettering around the fount, but I cannot make it out. At first glance I wondered if it says Condrup, then looking again it might be a safety instruction starting Do Not ...
    On this site you might hear from @igh371 and I know of a chap over Stamford way who might identify it - I just cannot think of his name or I would ping this thread to him as well!

3. samb

I have a very similar kettle to that, unmarked except for safety instructions on the lid.

Mine seems to have a wider lid than yours and has dents in different places.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sam

4. John Conkey United Kingdom

I have found pictures of picnic baskets with the same logo.
    It looks like the basket was made and sold by G W Scott and Sons in London.
    I am amazed and pleased to see that they are still trading.
    My main interest as a basket maker is in the basket itself, but am interested in the stove and kettle and would like to find out when they were made.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS

6. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Well, according to my internet, that is not quite true ...
    The company G W Scott and Sons Ltd ran from 1699 until 1979, when it closed down. In more recent times (c.2017) the name, G W Scott, has been "revived" by a different firm to make picnic baskets. Their website seems to suggest that because they share some similarity of name, they are one and the same firm. To my mind, it is a bit like the Chinese badging vehicles as MG and trying to pass them off as part of the British motor heritage of Morris Garages - although at least they did acquire the rights to the name and trade marks.
    For hampers, it is just a name and a marketing ploy. I am not trying to criticise the firm or their products - they may well be fine and may follow the craftsmanship of the original company, but the same firm, with a heritage of centuries of hamper production, they are not.