Canadian Coleman

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by camper52, Feb 18, 2012.

1. camper52

Just a comment about differences between Canadian and US Coleman products:
    Canadian "CSA" standards are (and have been) tougher/stricter than American "UL" stadards for just about all areas of manufacturing. And since our population is only about 10-15% that of the USA, the smaller market means higher prices and 'fussier' customers.

Gideon

2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Can't be that fussy, lots of Canadians trying to sneak Fords and Chevy's across the border... :whistle:

3. Sparky

When I lived in Calgary, I took my 425E in for cleaning and repairs and the service man offered to buy it without even opening it up. He said the US made product was MUCH better than the Canadian stuff. Just his opinion I guess.

4. camper52

Please remember I spoke of 'standards', not quality of 'fit and finish'. Though I agree that many older products are far better made than their modern counterparts. As for the Fords and Chevys - they likely were built in Canada but sell for much less in the USA than here, so pays to buy them there and bring them back to Canada - crazy politics !!!

5. itchy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. dday

dday Subscriber

I personally think it all depends on what we are comparing. I have two red Coleman 220E lanterns that burns brighter than the green 220E American counterpart and a couple small Canadian suitcase stoves that I like better than the 425 US series. I have several Canadian friends that also collect GPA and it seems that Canadians like the US stuff because its hard for them to find and we Americans like Canadian stuff thats hard for us to find. On that same note, I have friends from England and Sweden that absolutely love our "made in America" items and we love their "made in Sweden and England" models. I guess we all want what they have in foreign lands ](*,) . Just my two cents,
    Dan

7. mbechtel

Dan, I agree completely,
    If it's readily available and under our noses, we don't show much interest, but something from a far away land is much more attractive.

8. lant-ern

We all want what we cann't have....Imagine how easy collecting would be if there was only one model lantern,one model kero stove,one model.........I'm bored already just thinking about it :(

Ernie