Canister ID

Discussion in 'Military' started by Myers, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Myers

I am not a stove "collector", but I do appreciate them. I have a small collection of WWII equipment and gear/uniforms etc; my main hobby is restoring WWII MB and GPW jeeps.

I bought this stove many years ago thinking it was wartime, as the canister is dated 1942. I have since read that the 530 model was made post war, and this one being an A46, was most likely made early 1946. The confusing thing to me is that the canister is typical of the 530 canisters, but is marked US and 1942. Was the canister from an earlier model stove? The numbers are hand stamped, so I suppose they could have been added by a dishonest seller to try and fool people into thinking it was a WWII stove set.

The stove works very well, I just need to find a new fuel tank cap gasket so that I can put the original cap back onto the stove.

Thanks,

Ben

IMAG1296.jpg IMAG1297.jpg IMAG1298.jpg IMAG1299.jpg

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I think you have correctly worked it all out yourself.
    It is a Coleman 530 stove and they were made post WWII and based loosely of the wartime 520.
    Yes your stove was made in the first half of 1946.
    Your canister is the one supplied with the 530 (the one for the 520 is different).
    I feel certain that the date stamping is an addition from a previous owner. None of my 530 canisters have a date stamping.

Coleman 530.jpg

3. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

I agree with shagratork that the date stamp was added by a previous owner. My Canasters do not have the date stamped into them. You can get a 3 piece fuel cap from OldColemanParts.com. They also have a number to call them for the correct one to fit your stove.

4. Myers

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I wish it hadn't been stamped, as that hurts it's value and appeal as a civilian stove. I will still keep it though, it's a fun stove to use.

How difficult is it to find the M1941/520 stove for sale? I really enjoy rebuilding and restoring stuff, so I would like to find a mid war stove that is mostly complete and original, but in need of a rebuild.

Thanks again

Ben

5. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

@Myers My best luck has been with E-Bay or better known as the Bay of Evil. Some people have found them on Craigslist, Garage sales and Antique stores. I prefer to just use my computer at home because there is always a few to compare. E-Bay search for Military Stoves. babies.Good luck hunting.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Myers

Ok, I will start looking around. From what I can tell, the going rate for an average condition 520 stove is $50-$125, and upwards of $200 for the unused stoves still in a box.

I am wanting to find a 1943 or 1944 stove with its storage container. Is $50 to $100 reasonable for that? Are there any odd quirks or common issues that I should be on the look out for when purchasing a 520?

On an unrelated note, is the fuel tank cap gasket simply a 3/4" o ring?

Thanks!

7. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I looked at a Coleman 530, offered by a local CL seller, here in Tucson, a few months back. It was a very nice stove. He was asking only $50, but I needed to do some engine work on my '68 Chevy C/10 and decided money was tight, and I passed. I'm a bad stovie, I know.
    Also I thought the stove looked top heavy w/o the 3 retracting legs of the military Colemans. Only fettler's gripe was the fuel cap leaked, just a simple gasket fix.
    I may resume the quest for a real GI stove, to match the German mountain troopers' Arara37, I collected last year.
    But for now I've got other fish to fry.