Carlson & Son/Radius Burner Boat Stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by BernieDawg, Nov 7, 2008.

1. BernieDawg Banned

American made marine stove with Radius kerosene burners that have been adapted to burn alcohol. Came in original box as an unfired stove but required a big clean-up as it had been stored in a very dirty location probably near saltwater. It does "choof" a bit at all pressures.

1228058564-IMGP7429.jpg 1228058572-IMGP7431.jpg 1228058579-IMGP7432.jpg 1228058590-IMGP7434.jpg 1228058601-IMGP7435.jpg 1228058622-IMGP7436.jpg 1228058678-IMGP7445.jpg 1228058671-IMGP7442.jpg 1228058664-IMGP7441.jpg 1228058656-IMGP7440.jpg 1228058649-IMGP7438.jpg 1228058634-IMGP7437.jpg 1228058688-IMGP7452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. bark2much

Alright, Gary, you've got to stop confusing me like this. Is this a new one that you bought, or a used one you just restored? Dang!

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
    Absolutely Gorgeous!

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Fantastic stove Gary. A new one for the manufacturers List too!

Like Taylors in GB they appear to be a quality marine stove builder. Taylors also utilized 3rd party Swedish burners,

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Gary, Looks better than the day it left the factory!
    I have never seen one of these before.
    Great stove and wonderful fettle.
    It really is Museum quality and is a credit to both the Manufacturer and the restorer.
    Best Regards,
    George.

6. barrabruce

I see the heat there.
    Must boil a litre in about 4 minutes flat.
    Tell me does it choof at low pressure till you pump it up??
    Have a simular-ish type concept thing just curious.

Barra

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Boy, oh boy, oh boy!! :shock: :shock:

Great stove Gary. :D :D

8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Very nice indeed.

It'd be worth buying a boat to put round it.

9. xavi_242

Nice stove, looks un-real.
    And a good resto job too.
    congrats!

10. Heavenly Fiddler

I just got one of these stoves too. Mine was not in nearly as good condition. But I got it working. Still locating the leaks, need to replace a couple parts, finish cleaning. The tank on mine is on the other side of the stove.

I managed to bring a quart of water up to boil in about 6 minutes. It should do better if in prime working condition.

These stoves are a heavy duty piece of work.

Nice to see someone else has one of these.

11. BernieDawg Banned

Hey there, Heavenly!
    It's a great stove you have. I'd be guessing it's the one from eBay recently? It will run on kerosene also with a jet swap and removal of the alcohol restrictors, but be warned that the hotter flame may damage the porcelin coating on the grill in use.

I suspect that the tank was swapable from one side to the other as I have the mounting slots on the left side of mine. Guess it would depend on the layout of one's galley?

I look forward to seeing pictures of yours when you're ready. Take care.

Cheers,
    Gary

12. Heavenly Fiddler

Yes, it is recently acquired from ebay. I bid on a couple other stoves too but was out bid.
    I need to learn the name of the parts though.
    Talking stove lingo is a bit new to me.

Mine only has mounting slots on the one side the tank is on. All the sheet metal on mine was very roughly cut and so was a box of knife blades. I spent my first afternoon grinding down all those sharp edges just to make the thing safe to handle and clean. I realized it needed done after I slit open my finger tips.

And it choofs too, as well as burns with green, orange, blue flames with sparkly bits every now and then. I will be learning how to clean all this stuff with this stove as this is my first restoration project. Lots of loose copper oxide bits in the fuel lines.

Where can I find some tips on how to disassemble the fuel lines to clear them out? Those things are buggers being so stuck tight or is that how it needs to be to not leak?

13. BernieDawg Banned

I'd suggest applying some penetrant like AeroKroil or WD-40 to all the fuel line junctions and letting it soak in for 24 hours. For some reason, brass/copper joints really seem to seize up good with alcohol fuels. Mine were really tight, too. Fortunately, I think you'll find that most of the fuel line is off-the-shelf plumbing fittings, so if you mess one up one, you ought to be able to replace it.

The green flames are the oxides of copper burning off the burners and will go away with time. Many of your particulates will disappear as well, with a good long burn as the lines and tank self-flush.

Check to see that there is a tight roll of fine-mesh brass screen in the base of each of the burners and clean 'em if they need it. They help reduce the "chugging", though at least one other CCS members is of the opinion that it's a design issue. If no screen is present, you should add them. Screen is available from Base-Camp or the hardware store. Don't use aluminum. It melts.

Hope this helps to get you started. I'll check back in a few days as I'm on my way out of town tomorrow.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Gary

14. Heavenly Fiddler

This past weekend I disassembled the fuel lines, tank, burnerns and cleaned all that out. Put it all back together and test run it. Both burners work now. Neither of them have those screens down in the base that you mentioned. I will need to learn what those are and what they are all about.

While working on the lines, I must have knocked the burners loose a bit as now alcohol squirts out the hole for "the burner valve knob stem". I suppose its down to taking apart/restoring the burners themselves now. Any suggestions on why the fuel leak/flame coming out the adjustment valve hole?

Actually, I think I know where I might find some suitable screen. I used to work in a tobacco store. While working there, I learned that some people liked to put brass screens down in the bottoms of their pipes (usually pot smokers). All I would need is to find a tobacco store that will sell me a sheet of that screen. Should work?

15. CTboater

I have had a Carlson / Radius 2-burner just like these photos, acquired with an older one-off sailboat in 1975. Great little stove!
    However, after sitting idle for a couple of years, I started to use it again and the seal at the end of the internal plunger for the pressure tank disintegrated into rubber bits.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement seal or plunger? I'd hate to give up on this super little stove!

16. dspearsy2k United States

CTboater will probly have to make new seals & nrv pip. Just make sure you use nitrile rubber. The screens need to be in the vaporizer to act as a balancing restrictor. As fuel vaperizes it creates more pressure in the burner than supplied by the tank. This pressure back feeds into the fuel line. As the pressure drops, fresh fuel enters the vaporizer and is flashed into vapor from the hot burner. That is what causes the chugging. reduce the back feed and you reduce the chugging.

17. BernieDawg Banned

Hi CTboater

Here're some pics of my pump in the stove featured in this thread.

1244855379-PICT3745.jpg 1244855385-PICT3747.jpg 1244855391-PICT3748.jpg

I honestly don't remember if it came this way or if this is a fettle I did. I'd lean toward a fettle. Especially if yours is not this way. Anyway, it looks like a pump leather carrier (w/leather), a nut and a nylock nut. Should be over the counter for the nuts and a visit to our sponsor, BaseCamp for the carrier and leather component.

If you are having problems with the "NRV" then I'm confused as the "NRV" on mine is a bicycle valve. I'm waiting for the camera battery to recharge and I can provide details. But, that item should be available from a good bike shop. Looks like a "standard" valve to me.

1244855397-PICT3749.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  18. BernieDawg Banned

Here's the photo I promised down the throat of the "NRV" of what looks to me like a regular old bicycle valve. I looked and looked for my valve tool so I could take it out of the barrel to show you, but danged if I can find the little rascal. Sorry.

1245003399-PICT3752.jpg

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  19. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Gary, we were talking about bike valves at Newark. That one looks like a Schraeder the same as fitted to mountain bikes, and also car tyres. Over here, however, there are also two others, the Presta ( still in use ) and the Woods ( no longer used ).
    The Presta can be screwed shut unlike the others.

This page shows the 3 different types

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  20. Bob M

Hi Gary, JUST BEAUTIFUL! With regard to brass screen I found this source. http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/product/~category_id=TWPCAT_1/~product_id=060X040B0060W36T]Brass Screen[/url]
    If you peruse the site they even have VERY fine mesh stainless. I believe that there is a way to get "samples" for a reasonable cost.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015