Casa Hipólito Sa

Discussion in 'Manufacturers' started by Spiritburner, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Spiritburner

    Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Messages:
    10,990
    Location:
    N.E. England
    Casa Hipólito Sa

    1426503380-hipolito.gif

    Based in Torres Vedras, Portugal, Hipolito produced a quality range of stoves & lamps.
    Production became sporadic throughout the late 1990's with the factory finally closing down in 1999.
     
  2. mackburner

    mackburner United Kingdom Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    Messages:
    28
    Location:
    St. Albans, Herts
    This is from the Pressure Lamp Catalogue wot I rote. ::Neil::

    In 1900 Mr. António Hipólito, a native of Alcibaça, opened a tinsmith workshop in Serpa Pinto Street in Torres Vedras where he produced, amongst other items, gasholders for public lighting. Later he was fabricating lanterns for stables, sprayers, transfer pumps, presses, crushers, distillation boilers and oil stoves. On May 12th 1912 Casa Hipólito, Lda., Sociedade Commercial was legally constituted as a limited liability company with a capital of 500 shares most of which were held by the founder. In 1937 Hipolito began production of pressure stoves but the war years that followed made production difficult because of scarcity of raw materials and a limited market. They were also in direct competition with FAMA which had been established in 1940 by a Swedish company. António Hipólito died in 1954, leaving a family team in charge of the company, his three children, José, João and Alberto, and son-in-law, Vasco Parreira, who became President of the Board of Directors. It was he who, in February 22, 1972, promoted the formation of Casa Hipólito as a limited company with capital stock of 62280 shares. In 1956 FAMA was bought out by Hipolito and it was probably then that Hipolito obtained the tooling to produce lanterns. It is possible that the FAMA brand was used after this take over and that FAMA, Lanterne and Hipolito lanterns were manufactured concurrently for some years. From about 1974 the company was in increasing financial difficulty and in November 1987, after difficult negotiations, a recovery plan was established with the main creditors, passing the management of the company to the Portuguese Copper Company, with the support of banking, represented in the General Council by BESCL, BPSM and CPP, and the insurance company Tranquilidade (Tranquillity).

    From about 1974 and through the 1980s to about the mid 1990s, Hipolito made Aida and Petromax lanterns (by arrangement with Graetz Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH [Petromax]) and their own branded product. Hipolito lanterns continued to be made up to June 1999 when the company went into liquidation.
     
  3. Spiritburner

    Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Messages:
    10,990
    Location:
    N.E. England
    Thanks Neil (& for the other updates) :thumbup: