CASG #11 photos! Part 1 of 3.

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Steviebear

Thanks for the excellent write-up and photos! I really wish I could have been there, but traveling from Alaska can get kind of pricey.
    I’m so glad that I was able to share my find with people who truly appreciate it. Hopefully I’ll be able to make it to a gathering soon and meet everybody.
    Take care,
    Stviebear

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Steviebear ,

You are most welcome, and thanks, again, for the original info that put our wheels in motion!

We used to visit Alaska as often as we could, for backpacking, and for work. On one visit, whilst Sweet Bride was working, I hit every single antique and thrift store in Anchorage, and did the same in Fairbanks when our group went up that way. I scored something like NINE stoves, include an Optimus 111T, Phoebus 725, SVEA 106, Taykit Pocket stove, Optimus 80, and an old Bleuet "Cornflower" stove, as well as a few more!! Shipping them home cost more than all the stoves, together!! Fun stuff! We've also backpacked up at Denali, and our most favorite place, the Wrangel-St.Elias Wilderness!! Now, THAT, was one of our best backpacking trips!! The stove was an Optimus 81 Trapper, and my pistol was a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, loaded hot!!! We saw 9 Grizzly Bears, one with three cubs; 1 Black Bear, lots of Moose and Caribou, as well as Ptarmigan, Mountain Goats, and Mountain Sheep, etc.. No wolves, though. But, they did come through our last camp, at the take-out location, and circled, then peed on both tents, before going on their way!! We figured that meant, "Nice to have you visit, now, don't let the door hit you in the arse as you leave"!!!

Back to Gatherings: There used to be several good Stovies up your way. One, a very dear friend, passed away unexpectedly, at a very young age. He went by Sketch, real name, Andy. I still miss him to this very day!! Maybe you can seek out more Stovies up your way, and put on your own AKSG events (Alaska Stove Gathering)!! If not, then come back and visit, and we'll see about getting one together down this way! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

@Doc Mark

And Doc, Happy birthday! Three score and ten-- it's all just points after that! That's what I tell folks when they ask me about birthdays...

I'm still 71-- but not for long. B'day not afar off.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Ed Winskill , Hey, Ed,

Many thanks for the B-Day wishes! The years sure pass by quickly, or late! But, I don't mind getting older, and hope, and pray, that I can stay strong, and active for many more years to come!! Happy Early Birthday to you, my Friend!!! You're only a tad older than me, and you definitely keep active, which will keep you "young", me thinks!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

@Doc Mark a belated happy birthday from me.
    Looks like you had a excellent time, maybe excluding the re-enactment of the searchers.
    I'm glad the speedster stove is doing the job it was intended for, in some good company.