1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CASG 11

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by flivver, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hi, Duane, and All,

Checked those site, and nothing available, sorry to say. I just checked Monaña De Oro Campground, and there ARE some sites available, in fact, there are three sites in a row, right next to each other, which are open right now. 8 people per site, but only two vehicles per campsite, with no overflow parking available in the Park. WOW!! I never realized it would be THIS hard to get a nice place!! We really need to wait until we have at least "some" idea of how many might join us, before booking sites. But, if we wait too long, there won't be any sites available, at all. Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

P.S. I'm going to look at Kennedy Meadows, in the Southern Sierra, and also sites out of Lone Pine, Bishop, and a few other places. Maybe we'll have better luck.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Here is an idea. Sequoia National Forest. Forest Service campgrounds.

Western Divide Ranger District
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=79578
    A map & list of FS campgrounds
    3 Areas for Group Camping.

Hume Lake Ranger District (Most north of the 3)
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=79569
    5 Areas for Group Camping

Kern River Ranger District
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=79571
    10 Areas for Group Camping

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

How about just out in the woods somewhere nice. Does it have to be a campground? Mike...

4. Doc Mark

Morning, All,

Ken, thanks for those suggestions. Worth checking out, for sure. Mike, I'm pretty sure that most of us would prefer at least vault toilets, and available water, and camping in the forest does not offer those amenities. If we were backpacking, SB and I know lots of great places, and Mac does, too. But, for car camping, which is what our CASG events are, it's best for us to have a regular campground, with the above-mentioned goodies available.

I may be a bit out of touch in the next several days, as we have a wedding, followed by a job immediately thereafter, and will be in and out, and very busy. Don't know how much time I'll have at the wedding, but will see as that time comes. More talk later.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

P.S. If you are considering joining us at CASG #11, please let me know via a PT so I can begin to see how many campsites we may need for our event. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  5. Jim Henderson United States

I am up for a CASG. As we have found, summer is a beach trying to get camp grounds. Most are full and those that are available usually are way over crowded with mostly party animals. CASG'rs are not hardly party animals I suspect.

In any case I am good to go. As usual my preferences are easy driving range of the LA area, say 200-300 miles. Awhile back the Flivvers suggested the campground in their area, high altitude etc. MIles are a little long but the Flivvers have driven more for our other meets. Maybe that would work for us?

Montana d Oro was nice but I recall Mike Flivver had problems with that location. Even that campground near Mark was nice and being at altitude, might be cool enough.

Whatever is decided, I will make a good effort to be there.

Jim H.

6. flivver

Hi all; Montana De Oro was nice enough but I have a tendency toward bronchitis and something in the air there made me horribly sick for weeks afterward. Chances are it was a one time thing and won't happen again. As for driving, the last few camps at Mid Hills we had the shortest drive of anyone. I don't care for long drives because of comfort issues but we will be up for a reasonable drive, I want to be fair to others, and visit different places. Mike...

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

What is mid hill like in JULY?

8. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

L of a hill to camp out I suspect being in the desert.
    Duane

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I imagine it is not high enough to not be HOT.

10. flivver

I have been in July when it was warm but nice, it is at 6,500 ft.. I imagine it could be hot sometime, as weather is fickle. Mike...

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I did like that spot, but, as said, it is a LONG drive for Duane.

12. hikerduane

Only a 12 hour drive, don't necessarily have to go. This year might have more campouts with different stovies, will have to see. No Norcal Gathering planned for this summer yet and we were going to have something much earlier this year instead of a month ahead like last couple years.
    A friend is going to Alaska this summer with a couple, riding motorcycles.
    Duane

13. Doc Mark

Good Evening, Duane,

I hope you CAN join us for this event! It's time that others of us made a longer drive, than just you, my friend!! SB and I are up for it, and I hope others are, too! Would Montaña De Oro be a good compromise site for you? Or how does the Southern Sierra look to you? Keep me posted, and let's see if we can find a place that works for you, and also most of our regular CASG family, too!! Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

14. hikerduane

Doc, I was just replying to Ken's post about the long drive, not something I had to do, but wanted to. I'm up for anything.
    First weekend in March, some of us from the Coleman site are camping at Del Valle by Livermore. Five hour drive there about. You made it to Diamond Lake in Oregon for the first OSG, so you've done a long drive too.
    Duane

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

And I came from NC. It all started as a stove meet.

16. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

@snwcmpr Are you saying we should have the next California stove meet closer to you?;)

....Arch

17. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

ROFLMAO!!!
    Yes, but we know that is NOT going to happen.
    Texas, Oklahoma?

18. flivver

Hi all: How about Cabo San lucas. I know a nice spot near there. Mike...

19. Doc Mark

Howdy, @flivver , (Mike) and All,

Cabo San Lucas, huh??!!??! Sort of defeats the whole idea of trying to make it easier for our CCS Mates to the North of us.....!! I know that Flivver is kidding, at least to some extent, and I always appreciate his humor!! As it stands, right now, I have had very, very few commitments for our upcoming CASG. So, I guess what will happen, since few of our Northern Mates, with the most definite exception of HikerDuane, have said they would attend, I believe that Sweet Bride and I will go ahead and pick a place that works well for us, and hopefully, others will join us at that camp. We love the desert, but have had TONS of events down there. Now, it's time for something with a bit more elevation, far more trees, and, hopefully, less hot weather. I was hoping those in the North would show a tad more interest in any such event. Guess the proof will be in the pudding, as they say. ;) :content:

When something solid comes along, I'll get back to you all, and we'll see who is game for whatever place we've picked. One reason we've had most of our CASG events down this way, is the fairly strong family we have locally. We'll see how this next one turns out. But one way, or the other, Sweet Bride and I are more than ready to go camping, play with stoves, and sleep on the ground!! Talk later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc