CASG#4!!

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

HI, Randy,

Yeah, it's a hoot, ain't it?!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

I NEVER take any antibiotics, unless there is not other course of action. Way too many people in the US take antibiotics for every little thing that comes along, and for no reason, many times. If their disease if viral, taking antibiotics has no effect, whatsoever, and the more take such things, the more you mess up your intestinal tract, which, because of our junk food diet in the US, is already pretty messed up. Plus, the more you take such meds, the more immunity you build up to them, and so it's a very vicious cycle of dependency and use. So, unless we have a horrible and demanding need of them, both Sweet Bride and I stay far away from taking such medications. Thankfully, we have an old-fashioned doctor who believes as we do, which is rare in these days of over-medication.

"Milking it", eh????? :-k :-k :-k :-k Interesting choice of terms, and not one with which I agree, of course! ;) :roll: Thanks for your suggestion, though, and I do know that you're only teasing me, which is a good thing. Laughter is the best medicine, of all, me thinks! That's what Friends do for one another. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Yes, just kidding about the "milking it" bit.
    Now, on to the serious part of our...umm, er, consultation... ;)
    I only take the anti-biotics when needed, but I don't fear over doing them as I haven't had any in several years.
    Here's something that will help alleviate the symptoms for about 30 or 40 minutes; Make some good homemade chicken soup and then add hot peppers to your bowl. The capsaicin will open you up, make your nose run and dilate your bronchial tubes. The effects last long enough for you to NOT feel miserable for about a half of an hour...
    Best I can do for you! :lol: :lol:
    Give him some chicken soup!!

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Doctor Matukat! ;) 8) 8)

Yeah, I know you were just teasing, and that's part of the fun here at CCS! :thumbup: 8) :D :D

I may just try your medicinal recipe, Randy! Sounds like it would "Open you up", for certain!! ;) :D Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Feel better soon Doc :!:
    The last time I was REALLY sick with a chest/cold/respiratory flu the only thing that really made me feel better for short periods was a chicken soup I made which was so hot I could barely eat it. It DID make me feel better when I could get a bowl of it down. :shock:

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Randy,

Thanks, very much! Truthfully, I don't feel sick, aside from being VERY tired of coughing, and the fact that my back is now a bit tender from the "bend you in half" sessions of coughing. Other than that, and a slightly stuffy head, I don't have a sore throat, am not running any fever, and have no other symptoms. But, hey, the coughing is more than enough, for me, anyway. Thanks, again. "This, too, shall pass", as they say! By the way, Sweet Bride makes some outstanding, home-made chicken soup/stew!! If she were here, right now, I'd ask her for some of her special chicken soup medicine!! Alas, she's working out of town.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Doc,

If you're a meat eater I wouldn't worry about taking a course of antibiotics. You're getting a steady stream of them from livestock, and indeed cereal crops, anyway:

Drugs in Livestock 1

Drugs in Livestock 2

So, I prescribe you a steady diet of 16oz steaks for the next 21 days :lol:

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. hikin_jim

Strictly for medicinal purposes you understand. ;)

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Guys,

I just happen to have purchased a nice, juicy ribeye steak and it's waiting in the 'fridge, at this very moment!! However, I do believe I'll be enjoying a thick halibut steak tonight, instead! Steak for tomorrow, is my plan! For the halibut, I'll sear it in the pan, on stove top, then bake it for about 7 minutes, in a 400°F oven. With some roasted asparagus, a baked potato, and a small tasty salad, plus a frosty pint of either Guinness, or Newcastle Brown Ale, it's "just what the doctor ordered"!! ;) 8) DELICIOUS!!

Getting back to the original topic of discussion:

Flivver has told me that he would not mind going back to Montana De Oro Camground, at some time in the future, which is good, because I think it's an outstanding site for a California Stove Gathering event! Both Sweet Bride and I had a fantastic time at our recent CASG4, and we're already looking forward to our next Gathering!

Any ideas, or suggestions, as to where we might have it? I was thinking of Dogwood Campground, where we enjoyed CASG2, or maybe Buckhorn Campground, which we'd first planned to use for CASG2, but which was in danger of burning to the ground in the wildfires that ravaged that area back then.

Another consideration, would be going back to the Mid-hills Campground, where CASG3 was held, but NOT in February, as we did last time. That wind, rain, snow, and sleet, were not what we had in mind when we chose to have that event in the Mojave Desert area!! :shock: :shock: It was fun, though, "enduring" those elements in such style as we did, don't you think?!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D

Two other thoughts: The Sierra, say, around Kennedy Meadows, or maybe Bishop Lakes, or maybe someplace in the Owens Valley, below Mount Whitney, or maybe the Kern River Trough area. Anything whet your appetites, Friends?

One last thought: We could head North, to Oregon, to share an event with BernieDawg and Mrs BD; or we could head East to the wilds of Arizona, and do an event in the Flivver Family stompin' grounds. Both great ideas, me thinks, but it would definitely entail some driving for everyone, just as Gary and Mike have driven in to share the local events.

So, lots to consider. Give it some thought and let's talk about possible dates. SB and I are pretty much booked to the gills for the rest of this year. So, it will have to be next year, for us to be able to attend the next Gathering. How about you? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. If nobody has any concrete suggestions, then we'll probably set it up for either Dogwood, Buckhorn, or another local mountain area campground.

9. Jim Henderson

I know the feeling. I long ago had a horrible cough. I think I even bruised my ribs or even broke them. I even occasionally coughed up blood. Went to the doctor and they didn't seem too perturbed. Just said my ribs might be a little tender for awhile. At least they did give me a codine cough syrup which helped a bit.

As far as too many antibiotics etc. I used to go to an OLD time doctor, must have been 80 if a day. It was almost guaranteed you were going to get a penicillin shot no matter what ailed you.

Well all you guys get wel, and stay the heck away from the rest of us healthy people.

Jim Henderson

10. Jim Henderson

I'm good for whereever the next meet is. I prefer short drives say less than 200miles from LA, but could be talked into further.

IF Buckhorn is open this year, I hope to campout sometime in fall to see if it is good. It looked good more than a year ago, but then the fires hit. If it is good, I'll make a short report.

Keep us posted.

Jim Henderson

11. RonPH

Doc something in the middle between northern and souther california hopefully the members in the south would share the same enthusiasm despite a longer drive and that some of the members up north can join us. Haven been to any campsites up north and would be interesting.

Ron

12. Russ in California

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  13. RonPH

OK Russ, your assignment would be to check it out if camping is allowed so we can suggest it to the group. Perhaps if the members agree, then we can set a site.

Ron

14. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

The Lava Beds National Monument, located at the stateline between California and Oregon has a nice Campground, and the lava tubes are wonderful to explore!
    (Plus, its only about 40 miles from my 'Retirement' home)... :whistle:
    How about the middle of next month? :mrgreen:
    Definitely not a winter site, although it's open year round.

15. Russ in California

Have camped at all many times myself.
    Richardson's will be the warmest.
    Just don't want' to have it after Regge on the River. Have to avoid the floaters from all the riverside campers, plus by the end of July the algae bloom will start and it's not advised to swim(swimmers itch). Especially dogs. It'll kill them.
    Still, a great place to camp.
    8)

p.s. I vote for Lava Beds though :D

16. RonPH

Paging Doc Mark, we have some suggestions from Baja and Russ. Need more suggestions and guys if you are familiar with more places to suggest please do so.

Ron

17. Russ in California

If I knew what range of 'northern California' people where willing to travel to I could narrow down more suggestions.
    Nice to see the north end getting a shot.
    Like to attend one of these and burn some gas with 'yall. :mrgreen:
    8)

18. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

I'll be in Oregon next month, last two weeks of Sept...
    Camp at my place!
    All Mod Cons!
    Flush toilets... :D/
    Shower... 8)
    Jacuzzi... :mrgreen:
    Ya'll come on up!

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, All,

Great to see some suggestions rolling in, and to nice to see the excitement of our next Gathering. If I've learned anything, from the four CASG events I've planned, it's that there will never be a consensus of opinion as to where to hold it, nor how far, is too far, to drive!! ;) :roll: :roll:

Also, IF the CASG gets too far North, then I would say it's up to those who live in the area to stage the event, as they have "on the ground" experience with the area, and will better know the logistics in setting up and holding such an event in their own backyard.

Last, as to event dates, I've found that NO date will please everyone. The way I've worked around that is to pick a date, and let everyone know when, and also where, the Gathering will take place. People will either attend, or they will not attend, and it's very possible that some of those who choose not to attend, for one reason or another, only live a short distance from where ever the Gathering is going to be held!!! :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, let's do this: If anyone from up North (however you define "north") wants to setup and host a CASG, then I'd say, "Go for it"!! I've found that we have a steady core group that has supported the Gatherings we've enjoyed down this way. Some of them might make a long drive for an event up North, and some won't. That's just the way of it, and it's best to understand that right up front.

Sweet Bride and I are up for a long drive, even to another State, for a Stove Gathering. But, we're also self-employed, so timing, dates, and such, would have to be taken into consideration.

Again, we would be up for a Gathering up North, and have talked to BernieDawg about setting up such an event in his area. Whether we'd be able to attend, when all is said and done, remains to be seen, just as it is with everyone else that is interested in such events. We've also talked to the Flivver Family about attending a camp, or Gathering over in Arizona, in their stomping grounds. So, lots of options, Friends, and for my money, I'd say, let those in each area plan their Gatherings, as we have done here in Southern California, and if there is interest, then Stovies will attend, IF they can. That's how it's worked out for us, and we've been fortunate to have the BernieDawg Family drive down from Oregon, and the Flivver Family drive over from Arizona, for several events. Our locals, too, are always up for such a thing.

Life, family, work, and other goodies, have to come first, most of the time. But, if Gatherings can be planned, then there will always be Stovies who will attend them!! Go for it, Lads, and let's see how it all turns out!! One word of warning, however: Be fully prepared to hear, "Oh, I'd love to come, but that's TOO FAR AWAY"!! You will hear alot of that, I'm afraid! ;) ;) :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Just for information's sake, in case you may have missed it, SB and I are swamped with work and other commitments for the rest of this year. So, for us, any Gathering will have to take place next year. That's OK, as we've enjoyed two CASG events this year, and that's a wonderful thing!! Plan your events, and if we can attend, we most certainly will do so. I've been to all four CASG events, and LOVE attending them and being with my crazy Stovie Mates, and their families!!! :thumbup: 8) :D/ :D :D

20. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi all: Makes sense Doc. It is imposable to have CASGA in an area to please everyone and when done only the core group shows up with a few exceptions even though members live very close by. Doc keep CASGA in the So. Cal. area or you will make it difficult for the core members that would like to be present for every event. The interested members in outlying ares should have there own gathering and those from CASGA that can come will. It is unfair to expect Doc to organize the entire west coast. More than a dozen members live within 100mi. from CASGA4 yet all but one camper in attendance lived over 100mi. away. (the core group). In essence the core group traveled over 100mi to accommodate one camper and three day visitors. (This is just an example as CASGA was within the 200mi radus.) Newark does not move all over Europe to accommodate everyone. Doc, as others have mentioned keep your gathering within a 200mi. radius from you. If possible I would try to attend North Cal. and Southern Oregon meets. Adding gasoline to the cost the Montana De Oro meet it cost Mrs.Flivver and I over $600. Doc: How about Joshua tree in the spring?(We would have to reserve early, remember last year) Mike...