CASG#4!!

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Flivver, and All,

Well said, Mike, and absolutely true, too! Planning our CASG events, is very much like doing a Living History event. The event is planned, by those that will very probably come, or have attended in the past, and when dates and places are chosen, then they are posted publically for all who might have interest in attending such an event. To tell you the honest truth, 99% of the time, only those who have been to such an event before, like our core group, make any effort to show up to a CASG! That's kind of sad on the one hand, but very good, on the other! We have become very good friends with all those in our core group, and camping together is truly a sharing and caring experience, with each of us doing out best to take care of each other! I love that about our core group, I must say!!

As I've written, and as Mike has said, if you want an event up North, please get together with your fellow Stovies from up that way, and plan it! Then, invite the rest of us to attend. Those who can attend will do so, and those who cannot attend, will not. It's basically that simple.

I birthed a now huge Living History event up on the State of Utah, almost five years ago, and when I chose the dates, tried hard to accomodate everyone who wanted to come. That was a real PITA, I must admit! But, until I actually arrived at the event, and saw exactly how many folks made the effort to attend, it was very possible that our event would only have three folks, just like our very first CASG did!! In the end, it's turned out to be the most successful Gathering in the history of the ALRA, our Living History group!! We regularly have had over 100 participants, and now that it's coming up on it's five year anniversary, this October, it has turned into a fantastic event, with members coming from as far away as New York, Nebraska, Colorado, Washington, and other places!! So it must be with our CASG events. From San Francisco, down, we will continue to plan and hold our CASG events, and any interested Stovie, and their families, are invited to join in the fun. North of SF, I'd say it's up to the locals to do the ground work, and invite the rest of us. As has been mentioned, some of us will try very hard to make a long trip to join you, and some of us will not do so. That is just part of the deal, when you want to have such a fun event in your own area. I truly hope someone DOES plan and offer a Northern event, and if it all possible, SB and I will be there to join you!!

Don't forget doing smaller events, too, Mates! Down here, we have enjoyed some nice mini-meets and day hikes, and have some backpacking trips in the planning stages, right now! Even with only two or three CCS Stovies on hand, a grand time can and will be had!!

MUCH thanks to one and all who have put forth the efforts to truly be a part of our CASG events, Friends! I am already looking forward to our next chance to hold another event, and hope that it does happen in the Spring. Mike, the Mojave, or Joshua Tree both sound good to me! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Baja, and All,

As I've already said, each of us will have restrictions that will keep us from attending every event, and in fact, I think I'm the only CCS member to have done so, so far. But, I think what Mike was getting at, was that we will never be able to please everybody. So, moving dates around a little can be a good thing, but if it gets too convoluted, then it becomes a real mess, and not good for anyone. I try to arrange the dates so that everyone can come, but sometimes that doesn't work. As the member with the "work schedule", I am more than willing to let someone else set the dates and locations for any future meets. I try to set them up so that I can attend. Alas, Sweet Bride has not been able to attend all four of our CASG meets, but she has been to three out of four, and brought her work with her in order to be able to attend. Again, we all make choices, depending on what works for each of us. I love the fact that we had day visitors! More power to 'em, and may then keep on coming!! Just like our fellow campers, who just happened to wander by when we were doing our Stove Show and Tell, they add to the flavor of the entire event! I can honestly tell you, however, that NO CASG event has been planned around the schedule of anyone who wasn't a CCS member, so that point is entirely moot.

Again, I try to make sure that anyone who is interested can arrange to come to the Gatherings. So far, it's worked out fairly well. But, if someone else wants to take over, and do things differently, I'll gladly step aside and will help them in any way I can.

So, no hurt feelings here, Friends, and no trodding on toes, OK?! We do the best we can, and that's ALL we can do. As has been said, dates are set, and those who can, and who really want to, will attend. Those who can't, or don't really give a big rat's frosty crank, won't!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol: I've said for Northern members to setup their own Gatherings, and I truly hope that they do so. If not, then I hope they will plan to attend one of our CASG events in the future. It's as simple as that. Let me know if anyone wants to take over planning these things, and I'll gladly bow out, and then either come, or not, depending on our works schedule, just like all the rest of you do! ;) ;) :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'm thinkin like flivver. You may be trying to rope in too big of an area and maybe should stick with the core group that has been showing up. I live up north and may not even go to SF, it is five hours away.

5. Russ in California

Is there a map or master list as to where members are?
    Be nice to know how many in a given end of the state or region.
    8)

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Russ, and All,

I do not believe there is anything like that available. I just try to see where folks are located, and then try to remember if they are from California, or contiguous State. From memory, I believe we have, or have had, around 20 members in CA and the surrounding States. It was always my hope to get every single one of them to attend a CASG, but that never happened.

One thing that we all must remember is that, just having stoves does not mean that you are really that interested in them, or in sharing your interest with any one else. So, even though I had grand plans for a massive CASG, I have given up on that, and now take great pleasure, and quite a bit of pride, in getting together with those friends who are near and like to share the hobby together!! If figure we're very lucky, in truth, to have the number of Stovies that make the commitment to come to a Stove Gathering, and have realized that sheer numbers, do not a good Gathering make!! It's the "quality", and not the "quantity", that matters!! :thumbup: ;) 8) :D Still, I think we put on a good show, have a fine time and have very much enjoyed deepening our friendships, at our CASG events!! So, all is as it is supposed to be, as far as I'm concerned!

Russ, you might consider perusing the membership list here at CCS, and see who might be near you. Then, just keep a record for your own use, and contact those folks to see if anyone wants to get together for a mini-meet. That's a good way to get started. But, please be prepared for possible less than enthusiastic responses from those you contact. As an example, from our home, it's about a 5 hour drive to get to our recent CASG4. Other CCS members, and stovies, live MUCH closer, or about the same distance, but for them, the drive was "too far", and they didn't join us for the fun we shared at that wonderful event. As long as you keep that in mind, you won't be disappointed if your enthusiasm is not shared by a few others! ;) :D

If all else fails, horse up and drive down to one of our CASG events!! Sure, it might be a long drive, but so what?!! That's what we all do down this way, and some folks, like Mike and Gary, drive from HUGE distances away. Why? Because they love their stoves, love to camp, and love to have fun with other crazy folks, like the rest of us!! ;) ;) :D/ :D/ :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) 8) :lol: :lol: Talk to you later, Sir and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. RonPH

Hey all, I just finished uploading Part 3 of CASG4 at Montana de Oro the shoot out between the MSR Reactor and the Camping Gaz Trek 270 with Doc Mark hosting the shoot out with his usual jolly self.

Ron

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, Ron,

Just watched Part 3 of your videos on our CASG4!! What a hoot!! That was really fun, and being able to "relive" it through your wonderful and fun videos is great!! Both Sweet Bride and I were really laughing and enjoying Part 3, and so now we're more than primed and ready to fire up Part 4, whenever you finish putting it together, and post it on 'the Tube!! Thanks, very much, for your efforts, Ron!! You do a great job of capturing the fun that's had at our events. I think it safe to call you our Official CASG Videographer, Sir!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) 8) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi Ron: Great stuff. Mike...

10. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

:clap: :clap: Nice vids Ron! MORE! :clap: :clap:

11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but I recall around a year ago, someone (maybe Ross?) did try to set up one of those google map thingies where you could add your name and location. There was a link posted to a German collector's site, I think, and you had to email your name and general location to him and he would add it to the map.

IIRC, I had great difficulty in even finding the link on his site and, for some reason I can't now recall, I couldn't use it after I'd eventually found it.

Anyway, it all came to nought, although I do recall a very few names and locations did get added.

Can anyone find this, or recall it? - even if only to prove to me I didn't dream up the whole shebang... :lol: :doh: ](*,)

12. skeeves

David it was the link that Den posted here. I had no problem contacting Erwin with the link below on his site, and I just emailed him yesterday so he is still on the go.

You can actually contact me through
    info (att) eschaefer.de
    Please replace (att) by @ because of spam.

13. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Thanks, David. I've emailed Erwin with my details so let's see what happens - maybe with a bit of luck, we'll have all of four UK members located on the map!

14. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

I'd proposed something for the stove that was going to go on the worldwide tour - a pin & picture of each location it got too - what happened to that?

I can do a google map for CCS members to submit too - easily done. We had something similar many years ago but that was before Google maps really developed. It's possible to add pics too - say an avatar or action shot.

15. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

If the owner/moderator type people would upgrade their system to what I hear are Facebook standards, anyone could locate where we are posting from!:)

16. hikin_jim

Oh, yes, that would be the privacy violation "feature" of Facebook. Just what we need here. :roll:

HJ

17. hikin_jim

I'm with Jim in that "short" drives (is 200 miles really all that short?) are easier to accommodate, but on the other hand I would have loved to have come to MDO had not certain scheduling difficulties arisen. This may well be impossible, but if a campground with running water, flush toilets, and showers were available, I might be able to get my wife to come in which case you all could meet my daughter. Call it heresy, but I actually like her even better than stoves. ;)

Jim, Buckhorn is open, and it's looking good. I was up there 4th of July weekend and then 5 or so weeks back. The water was running well, the lemon lillies looked healthy, and there were camp sites available on both of my visits. Access from the southwest is a little harder now with the one road closure, but access from both east and west is open. It is a beautiful site in the pines.

HJ

18. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

hikin jim, my thoughts too.

19. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

A Lampie is born!

1283066734-eve1.jpg

My grandaughter Evie, approves of Coleman Lanterns!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  20. RonPH

Steve that is good news, someone to carry the family's legacy of stove/lamp collecting. I hope one or all my kids will also acquire the taste of our hobby.

Ron