CASG #5???

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by flivver, Dec 3, 2010.

1. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi all: Detailed directions to Mid Hills are posted on the "Ca. Stove Gathering #3" thread halfway down on page eight of that thread, which is near the top of page 3 under Events & Meets. Mike...

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Well, things are coming together nicely for our upcoming CASG5. So far here is our confirmed list, followed by our tentative list:

- Doc Mark and Sweet Bride

- The Flivver Family, including our CASG Mascot, Furry Flivver

- Mac and Nelda McCullough, who will be with us from Friday through Sunday.

and on our tentative list, with all our fingers crossed, are:

- Big Jim (with everything, including the kitchen sink!) :D 8) :D

- Ron

- Hikin' Jim

If everyone does get to join us, then we'll have almost the same cast of characters that we enjoyed last time we were there! I'll have to give Mr and Mrs BernieDawg a shout, and see if they are into gambling on the weather again! ;) :D Actually, we should have much better weather than last year, but hey, we'll take what we get! Talk to you all again soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. hikin_jim

Hi, Doc et al,

Is the CASG still planned for February 16, 17, 18, 19? Just checking in. No solid news for me on the employment front.

HJ

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, HJ,

See my post directly above yours. Yep, we're still on and raring to go! Hope to see you there, but understand that your priorities will be elsewhere, just as they should be! Best of luck on the gig search, and all I can tell you is, any job is better than no job at all, at least to me. Plus, once you have a job, it's far easier to find a better one, than when you are unemployed and seeking work. At least, that's been my experience. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. flivver

Woopeeee! Only a couple weeks. Are there any requests on which stoves I should bring. If not, I will just bring the C&L. Doc bring your Coleman #1 to fettle. Mike...

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, Flivver!

Always great to hear from you, Mate! Sweet Bride and I were talking about your the other day, and discussed getting an old Model 32 Ford, so that we could setup a period camp, a bit later than yours, of course. Fun!! I used to have a '29 Model A, and did also own one of those lovely '32 Model B's, which I should have never sold. But, maybe someday I'll own another one! IF that ever happens, we'll most certainly get a period camp setup, and then we can join you and Mrs. Flivver in setting up something fun!!

As to which stove to bring, by all means bring MY C&L, as always!! Maybe if I get lucky, I can figure out to make it come home with us, instead of with you!! :twisted: :shock: O:) :whistle: 8-[ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not going to bring your early Speedmaster, Mike, for morning coffee duty??

I will most certainly be bringing my Coleman #1, and finally get it into full working condition, as well as a handful of other stoves that are in need of fettling, including my Campingo 2, and other fun projects that have been in need for quite a while. We will bring a large Coleman and our beloved 1924 Blue Bird oven, too, so Sweet Bride can turn out more gourmet goodies, as usual!! And, we'll bring whatever other stoves we want to actually use, or test, but far fewer than we have brought for past Gatherings. We'll have our large canvas fly, as usual, and two backpacking tents, just for fun.

We look forward to seeing the Flivver Family there, as well as everyone else that can make it. I talked to BernieDawg, but he has a kayaking trip planned for the same time, and unfortunately will not be able to join us. He did ask that I pass along his best regards to all our friends at CCS, which I am happy to do!! Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. RonPH

Hey all, in as much as I would love to be there, the dates have already been taken by some of my coworkers ahead of time and someone has to work :mrgreen: perhaps CASG6 sometime in Aug or Sep would work for me. I do hope everyone has a good time.

Ron

8. flivver

Hi Ron: Sorry you can't come, can you trade days maybe? Mike...

9. RonPH

Hi Mike, unfortunately, the guy scheduled for vacation that week has already arrange and paid for his tickets/accomodation for Las Vegas :(

Ron

10. Jim Henderson

Small YELLOW ALERT that needs verification. Not to pnic, but we should check...

While looking up info for our upcoming CASG #5 I came across this notation...
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Providence Mountains State Recreation Area (Mitchell Caverns) is closed indefinately
    Providence Mountains State Recreation Area, home to Mitchell Caverns, is a California State Park located within the boundaries of Mojave National Preserve. State park officials shut down operations in January 2011 due to serious problems with the water system.

Meanwhile, shortfalls in the California state budget caused lawmakers in Sacramento to ask that state agencies identify possible budget cuts. In May 2011, California State Parks released its closure list, and Providence Mountians was among the 70 parks included. Although closures for most parks on the list won't go into effect until July 2012, California State Parks officials decided not to invest in repairs to the park's infrastructure during a time of skrinking budgets, so Providence Mountains State Recreation Area remains closed.

With continuing weakness in the economy and ongoing fiscal issues for California State Parks, the future of Mitchell Caverns remains uncertain.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is not yet clear to me whether this affects the Midhills campground or just the Mitchell Caverns. I tried calling the ranger station but got only a "leave voicemail"

I Think, Midhills is part of the larger Mohave National Preserve and that Providence is only a smaller part mostly around Mitchell Caverns. So I don't think this affects us, but it would be good to know for sure.

I will keep trying to check this but if any one knows the status on this please update.

Thanks,

Jim Henderson

11. Jim Henderson

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. flivver

Hi all: I just got off the phone with the ranger. She said Mid-Hills is and will remain open but the water tank is to be replaced later this month if the new one arrives on time. She advised we bring our own water in case. Mike...

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

Just got back from our work trip to AZ. Talked to Flivver on the phone whilst we were refueling in Quartzite, AZ, and told him we were coming, no matter if there is a water shortage, or not. We'll bring our own water, just in case, but we could also camp at the Hole In The Wall campground, just a few miles away, if needed, as their water system is fine, and like Mid-Hills, it, too, will be open. But, I'd recommend just heading to MH and bringing your own water, just in case, and we can go from there. Sound good? We can hardly wait to be there, even though our turn-out might be a tad smaller, 'cause we know it's going to be a ton of fun, as always!! I'm bringing plenty of stoves that need fettling, as well as some I want to test, and some we'll be using everyday. We "might" bring our second old oven, which is a large Boss oven, and test it against our beloved Blue Bird, just to see how it does, too! The weather in the deserts in AZ was simply PERFECT, so we expect something similar from MH this year!!! Sorry you won't be there, Ron, but understood as to why. Hope to see the rest of you in a little over a week!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, All,

So far, I've got almost 40 stove on my "bring along" list!! Way too many, me thinks!! So, some winnowing is going to have to take place..... :oops: :shock: ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. Rick b

Um Doc, I think you can make room.... :shock:

16. flivver

Hi All: When is everybody arriving? We will arrive and set up Thursday morning. Mike...

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Mike, and All,

SB and I will try to arrive Thursday morning, also, and I believe that Mac and his Bride will also be arriving on Thursday, instead of Friday, as they had originally planned. Big Jim, are you still planning to join us? I surely hope so. HJ, I'm sure you are up to your eyeballs in seeking employment, but if you want to come out for even a day trip, that would be fun. In any case, best of luck on the job search.

I checked the weather today, after we got back from our latest gig, and it looks like we'll have mostly clear days at Mid-Hills, in the high 50°F range, and clear cold nights in the high 30°F range, with only a 10% chance of rain during our event. High winds may be present on one day, but otherwise, we should have nice weather for our event, small though it may turn out to be. Sweet Bride and I are definitely looking forward to being there and to recharging our batteries a bit, and enjoying the company of good friends from CCS!! By the way, be sure to bring your own water, just in case the campground water system gets closed down for a new water tank. SB and I may be bringing two ovens for this event, and may do a "bake-off" between our beloved 1924 Blue Bird oven, and a very early, same-sized, Boss oven! Might be fun, no matter how it turns out!! Talk to you all soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. We got home today, to find high winds, fog, and later, snow and hail!!! Shouldn't have that problem at Mid-Hills, however, which will be good!

18. RonPH

Dont worry Doc, I will make sure the snow machine wont be turned on this Sunday.

Enjoy yourselves.

Ron

19. Jim Henderson

I plan to get there Friday before noon. Leave Sunday.

I figure on bringing 5 G of DI water and fire extinguisher etc. I will probably bring only Colemans this time, nothing really old or unique, but my suitcases and pocket stoves want to play.

See ya Friday.

Jim Henderson

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Big Jim,

Outstanding! We'll look forward to seeing you there on Friday. Even though we got a bit of snow and ice last night, in our local mountains, today dawned clear and lovely. Bodes well for our weather at Mid-Hills this year, and we're really looking forward to being there!

So, unless we have some late comers or surprise visitors at CASG5, it looks like the attendees will be:

- Mr and Mrs Flivver, and Charlie, the CASG Mascot;

- Mr and Mrs Mac;

- Doc and Sweet Bride;

- Big Jim;

This will be a fun event, even if nobody else shows up! But, for those in So. Cal, this will be one of the few CASG events that is SO close to many of you, so why not try to make some plans and come and join us!?!! It's a great campsite, with lots of room. The Stove fun, food, and fettling, as always, will be interesting and lively, and best of all, we get to spend time with friends!! Doesn't get any better than that, folks!

See you all soon, and please have a safe trip to the event!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

P.S. Bring warm clothing and a good tent and sleeping bag, as the nights will be nice, chilly, and crisp!