cheapest paraffin source?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by tritonofnor, Feb 3, 2009.

1. tritonofnor

I use paraffin for both cooking and heating on my boat, at around 10-12 ltrs a month.. would be happy to buy in 25l drums as opposed to the 4 litre packs i buy at the moment, as they've recently jumped in price from £4.99 to £6.49! have hunted around all the usual local suppliers here in Devon, and found a few at 4.99 in a local store, but this is just old stock - they told me when this lot is gone it'll be up to 6.49. I don't have any space to store in bulk, but would dearly love to find a cheaper way to buy my fuel. Any ideas gratefully received!

2. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi tritouofnor as well as my stoves i have a aladdin heater i use in my hallway as it throws out more heat than the radiator and when the central heating is of.I am lucky as theres a realy good hardware shop 10- 15 mins drive from me and thay sell it loose and it is £5.50 a for 5 litres see if you can find one of the few hardware shops around not too far from you that still sells it loose there are still around but hard to find thay may be your best bet good luck

3. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi there tritonofnor
    i'm in Devon to and have just been all around my local shops hardware stores and garden centres and garages,i am in exactly the same position £6.49 for 4l was the cheapest i could find some were charging £8.99 :shock: i tried butler fuels? and they do heating oil for i think they said 37p a litre but you have to have a bunded tank and they will only deliver 500+ litres at a time,so now i am trying to find someone with oil fired central heating that will let me buy a couple of jerry cans off them,can't see why petrol and diesel have come down and paraffin has gone up so much i reckon it's profiteering and bet the price will drop in spring

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

It's well under a £1 a litre at a local garage here. It shot up to 80 odd pence during the fuel rises but is back down to a better price now. I'll take a peek next time I drive past. I know of 3 'loose' outlets locally - I'd be pretty surprised if this wasn't the picture in much of the UK. Maybe contact the distributors to see who they supply?

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

A (fairly) local garden centre had it loose at 65p/l which went up to 75p/l a while ago. I don't know what it went up to at the height of the oil price hike recently but it's got to be cheaper than those pre-packs - what an absolute rip-off! :x :x :x :x :x

Currently I'm still using the Wilkinsons barbeque lighter fluid I got at the end of last season - 75p/l to clear... :thumbup:

6. Knight84

Hello everyone.

As a comparison... In Canada 4 litres of paraffin is about 8 dollars to 8.50 (4.50£/4.78£) so 2 dollars per litre or 1.12£.
    I know this doesn't help and I have no solution. But the reason i am told that paraffin/kerosene goes up in price is the demand for heating oil. Oil refineries switch from making kerosene and sometimes diesel in order to make more heating oil. Supply and demand is easy to hide behind maybe.

Cheers,
    Jeff

7. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

From what I can deduce heating oil IS no. 1 diesel. AND here, they sell it as kerosene. (red dyed no.1 diesel is sold as red kerosene) Now, I suspect that some regulation somewhere is being circumvented by calling it kerosene, but we've been using it ever since we found out it was the cheapest way to get "kerosene" and it works OK in kerosun type wicking heaters. I suspect my wick life will be cut by about half, but the "red dyed" whatever is cheaper per gallon by half or more, so the trade off is worth it. It would probably work ok in a stove, but clog the jet much sooner. I would rather buy clear for a stove. Real kerosene here comes in 5 gallon cans and is running 8.00 usd per gallon or more, so almost comparable to the higher prices elsewhere. Clear "no.1 diesel" (sold as kerosene) is 3.99usd per gallon at the same place we get the red, so a savings there. Bizarre goings on, my thinking.
    Best,
    Randy

8. Knight84

Your right about heating oil not being diesel. What i meant to say was that they make more distillate heating oil instead of diesel. I think the main problem is that they haven't made many if any new oil refineries but demand has gone up.

Dyed fuel here is only for farm use. Bizarre indeed.

Jeff

9. Andrew61

Kerosene or paraffin is basically jet fuel so if you have a friend who works at an airport you could get him to sell it to you. Service stations here (NZ) used to have it in their pumps as lots of people used kerosene heaters now they have all switched to portable LPG (butane) heaters, I am not sure why, I doubt whether they would be safer or really even more convenient than kero and LPG is not cheap here either.

10. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Andrew61 has the right idea, but you can go one step further. On every flight, the ground crew takes several fuel samples, checking for water. These samples add up to a lot of fuel, that the airport usually has to pay to get rid of. Should be no problem to get some, I would think. I'da done it myself, but our podunk air patch isn't big enough for jets...... And the military base here, well... not gonna happen. :(

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, for UK users, Parra has offered the best advice.

Find, or make, a friend who uses light domestic "heating oil" for their Central Heating. In the UK such "oil" is basically paraffin, but with a slightly looser specification, which allows the sulphur level to be a little higher.

Some Commercial buildings and Swimming pools use a heavier grade of heating oil and that is NOT suitable for prassure stoves!

I find that domestic C/H fuel performs very well in pressurised paraffin stoves and lanterns, although I have no experience using it wick-stoves or lamps.

I believe the current price of this domestic heating oil is about £0.40 per litre, if you are purchasing 900 litres, which is a normal home delivery.

Good Luck in your search for a more economic source of fuel.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Obviously the price of paraffin differs dynamically with the price of oil.

I'm not aware of any of my local garages or anywhere else selling paraffin at the pump so travelling anywhere special to acquire it slightly cheaper will prove to be a false econmomy for me in terms of fuel expended for driving.

So I'm limited to the 4 litre packs. Here's my strategy.

In the winter, if fuel prices are reducing then go for the place that has the highest turnover. This will typically be a busy garden centre as most usage seems to be for greenhouse heaters.

If fuel prices are increasing my local independent hardware store usually has the best deal as their turnover is far slower and they have paraffin at "old" prices.

Summer is much more of a lottery as turnover generally is very much slower. I tend to stock up bulk in the Spring for the best deal I can find at the time.

I notice that Base-Camp have started selling bulk paraffin delivered to your door, but the prices didn't look particularly special.

I have oil central heating, but it's dyed. I've been hesitant to try it in my stoves as I'm concerned whether the dye will clog up the burners with long term use.

13. barrabruce

Iv'e used Jet A and I think I may try Av tur next from the local airport.
    From what I can gather it is supposed to be clean kero for the use in helicoptors.
    But maybe the companies put in Additives I don't know.
    Last time I tried it it didn't perform in the likes of my 96 or 210 but the 2 pint burners seem to cope with it much better.
    Maybe a bit of sulphur can't tell. Seemed to need a bit more heat to get it going and a differnt flavour than the dyed kero we get now. Which it self has gone to the dogs. Maybe a different fossil resivour or something.

I havve read or heard somewhere that they are now mixing fats and oils with methanol like biodeisel but then cracking it through the distillers or something.
    Anyone esle heard of this???

Just found out that overseas a lot of people ar drinking recycled pee!!

Barra
    Bout 20 years behind and slowing down.

14. spudz

Here in the land of Pasta the price of my stove fuel of choice went from an almost reasonable €9.98 / 5lt in November 2007 to a painful €16.90 / 5lt in December 2008.
    Which resulted in me getting the finger out, searching & researching the Bergamo Yellow Pages ... again ... and finding a fuel depot about 10 minutes away from me (where did that come from ?) selling 20 lt drums of kerosene for €35 + VAT, erm .. about €42 / 20 lt.

I'd buy some tomorrow only I need to replace this and that, buy one of them and some of them, pay those bills, oh and this needs to be paid too and the kids need new.......... and on, and on, and on ........ Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Enjoy the Flame.

15. Kl80

I had this problem earler in the year.I spoke to a number of fuel suppliers and was given the same response from all of them. Premium paraffin is not available in bulk, only in five litre containers. 28 second heating oil ( kero ) was all that was on offer in bulk. As 500 ltrs was the minimum purchase, a group of us bought an ibc container off ebay for £25 cleaned it out and stood it on top of three pallets. The fuel was delivered and we shared it out in 25 ltr containers. You dont need a special tank. If you explain to the fuel supplier what your doing with it, they are happy to deliver it to an ibc container.
    I find that using it in my green house heater, it crusts up the wick after two or three days constant use. It seems fine in my old hurricane lamp and pressure lamps although it dosnt smell as nice as the real thing.

16. Stonehopper

http://zenstoves.net/Petrol.htm

Interesting description of fuels - scroll down some.

Like the comment on Avgas:-
    "If this is the only fuel you can find, consider eating cold meals"

Derek

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  17. Neil B

I have used avtur in my stoves, with no problem. Avtur and Jet A i think are the same except that avtur has an icing inhibitor in it and a fungicide to stop some weird fungus growing in the aircraft fuel tanks.
    A mate of mine flies radio controled jet models, he got his fuel from a local heliport at 25 litres at a time.

Neil

18. tritonofnor

Thanks for all the help guys! Reckon I need to get out and about, and on the phone, this weekend to see just what's available at the local airport and fuel depots.. might just try a bit of my dad's central heating oil next time I pay him a visit too.... :whistle:

19. Ian

Ian Subscriber

A little dye goes a long, long way on oil products. Countless tons of your namesake brand must have gone through lamps and stoves over the years. I doubt it would have been so popular if it clogged things up.
    I think the product(heating oil) would more likely be the culprit than the dye.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  20. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Thanks Ian. I might just have to have a dip in the tank then!