Cleanest burning 1-K for Hiker Plus?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by William H Smith, Dec 4, 2020.

1. William H Smith

William H Smith United States Subscriber

This afternoon I tried Crown 1-K in my Hiker Plus and it didn't burn nearly as well Coleman fuel, the flame had a lot of red and orange in it and the fuel smells, not as bad as diesel but very noticeable. Locally I am able to buy Klean Strip, Sunnyside, and Klean Heat (kerosene alternative?) Thanks, Will IMG_20201204_152106606.jpg IMG_20201204_140936291.jpg

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

The comparison wouldn't be with Coleman, but with other kerosene.

I use Klean Strip K-1 with perfect results. I haven't used their Klean Heat...a so-called synthetic kerosene, whatever that means. Years ago, Exxon marketed Clearlite, a 'synthetic kerosene', which worked very well, but that went off the market a long time past.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Did you switch to a smaller jet or at least the multi fuel jet?
    Duane

4. William H Smith

The stove only came with one jet, I don't think other jets are available, it has the Nova Plus burner head so I'll look into that, and that would make sense changing the nozzle for the type of fuel. This stove burns nicely with Coleman fuel, I can keep using that but wanted to try kerosene. I won't prepare or cook food using the Crown 1-K based on the smell today, I dumped the can in the tractor's fuel tank so it won't go to waste. Tomorrow I'll buy a can of the Klean Strip and try it, thanks for the replies.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

That's pretty much going to be it with one jet that's a compromise among the various fuels. Optimized for white gas means too rich for a perfect burn on kero; optimized for kero means underpowered on white gas.

You might try raising the flame plate instead.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Welcome, @William H Smith.

If you’re not getting soot on the bottom of your pot that you can wipe off with your finger, your flame will be OK.

Cheers

Tony

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I didn't enlarge the pics earlier, looks good. Try what Tony mentioned.
    Duane

8. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

All I can say is my late model Nova, same burner, burns a beautiful blue on Kleenstrip 1-K, with a raised burner plate. Brad

9. William H Smith

Thanks all for your replies and good info; I found a quart can of Sunnyside kero this afternoon so I'll try that when I get a chance. I have a spare burner plate that came with the maintenance kit so I will try bending the tabs up on the spare and see if that helps.

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Looks like you were out in the garage or shed. Not going to be completely free of smell, especially with the multi-fuel jet. Too high of expectations I think. Enjoy it. Love my old "T".
    Duane

11. William H Smith

Garage, where I spent the afternoon cleaning up my junk as my wife informed I had to make room for her car for the winter. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have made enough room to fit her car in and then I'll have time to work with the stove.

12. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

My Nova burns anything decent (except pump diesel) but tends to like an amish mix the best I believe. I use Klean-Heat in all of my kero stoves as it smells the least and gets me less "attention" from the wife when I use one indoors. I have used Sunnyside and other brands but some of those brands are cut with mineral spirits and other chemicals to have a lower flashpoint. Since my stove likes the lower flashpoint kerosene I mix klean-heat and white gas at 75/25 mix ratio and get excellent results personally. BTW I also use this mix in my converted 220K Coleman.