Clone Optimus 8R. Project.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Evan Miller, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Evan Miller Australia

Got this sad looking 8R today cheap. The case is a bit rough and the bracket that clips onto the fuel tank a has broken off. It is sprayed with poor quality silver paint that rubs off on my hands. It's not running and I suspect the tube that carries the wick may be blocked as no fuel or vapor seems to get to the jet. Also the needle that clears the jet has broken off. Gentleman, we can rebuild it!

IMG_20190910_003554.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  2. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Look forward to progress reports. There's certainly a few 8r project threads to browse over before setting off.

3. Evan Miller Australia

IMG_20190910_230453.jpg

Running after replacing wick and a bit if a tidy up. The old wick was super tight and was breaking up in my hand leaving a powdery residue which was blocking it up. Not running super strong as I suspect the jet is gummed up with varnish somewhat including it. The cleaning needle was broken so probably not cleared for years. New parts on the way to deal with this. Once running well I'll have a go at restoring the case. One thing I have noticed I'd the bracket that clips onto the tank is about 8mm too wide and to get it to clip snugly have to bend quite a bit which makes it foul when trying to make the mechanism operate smoothly. Just wondering if it's a bitsa?

4. itchy

Good job getting the burner working. Be careful with replacing the cleaning needle. Judging by the case and a few other details, I think you have one of the many Asian clones of the Optimus 8R (does that make it a bitsa? Unfamiliar term for this Yank -- same as hodgepodge?).

Anyhow, clones can be good stoves, especially giving that you got it working, but replacement parts may or may not fit.

5. Evan Miller Australia

It's not a clone. The case just has a crappy paint job. All the treads are compatible with other optimus stoves I have.

6. Evan Miller Australia

On second thoughts you may be right. A few details not quite right. Still it cost next to nothing so worth fixing.

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Evan Miller . Have a look at this thread and one way to re-attach the tank support clip to the case , by drilling holes and using stainless steel button-head bolts and lock-nuts.
    If you think the separation of the clips is too great, cut a small section out of the middle:

Optimus 111T rebuild.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

8. Evan Miller Australia

Pretty sure it's a Taiwanese made 8R clone now. I imagine that makes getting a replacement needle jet cleaner close to impossible. Have replaced the pip and seal on the ERV cap and given the jet a bit of a soak and a poke which seems to have cleared out some of the varnish clogging it up. Burns better now but it's a bit off center (flame bigger close to the control valve key) but quite usable. Now time to tidy up the crappy looking case.

IMG20190911232813.jpg

9. Evan Miller Australia

Thanks and you are quite right. It's Taiwanese but pretty good quality. And yes bitsa is same as hotchpodge. I.e. bitsa this, bitsa that. We also refer to mongrel dogs as bitsas.

10. Evan Miller Australia

I thought about using nuts and bolts but the clearance between the tank and the case and bracket is pretty tight. I think I'll use pop rivets.

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

The broken cleaner, is it just the wire? Fixable?