Coil Heater and how to use

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Ken Doubleday, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ken Doubleday Australia

Hi All. I am new to fuel stoves however have found an old copper coil stove in my recently passed Dad's shed. I have cleaned it up and replaced washers and cleaned out the jet etc however I am not sure how to start it.. I have used methylated spirits and was trying to heat the coils just above the jet to start a "flow". Not working. Is this correct or is there more to it?

Ps I also found/have a Primus 210 which I am doing up too. Just working on the pump tube as it needs to be removed as nrv is rotating in the bottom. Bummer really Oh well :)

156636290117530080395371846841.jpg 20190727_145833.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  2. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

If it has been empty for a while, add fuel and let it sit for about 30 minutes. There are wicks which run from the tank up each side of the coil and they need to soak up fuel. After that, simply hold a lit match in the center of the coil. It will splutter and flame from the jet, then catch and turn to a steady burn. It might take a couple of matches. I use a bbq starter, like a Bic lighter with a long tube.

Check the gasket on the fuel cap. If it is old and dry it will need replaced. Coil burners must have an absolute air-tight seal as the heat from the coil is all that pressurizes them. If any air leaks at the cap it won't burn well, if at all.

3. Ken Doubleday Australia

Thanks heaps. It has new seals however it does not seem to have any wicks, as there is nothing coming from the coils into the tank. I will try and get some and then try again.

4. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Ahaa, these coil burners are generally white gas/coleman fuel/naptha fuelled devices.

Warm with your hands until you see fuel seeping out, light and then it builds up pressure/sustains itself.

Extinguish it by blowing out the flame and sticking a cork in the coil. When it cools down it will stop trying to push fuel out of the jet, you can then slacken the filler to remove any residual pressure for storage.
    Store with a cork in the coil if it still has fuel inside.

Alec.

5. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi Ken,

Welcome to CCS.

There should definitely be some wicking that sticks up into the coils. 100% cotton string is the usual material to use, often cut from a mop head. The good news is that yours has a removable coil so you can replace it. Some coil burners like the Stesco ones have the tubes fixed into the fount. You need enough wick that it stays held in place but not so tight that the fuel cannot flow.

As Alec has stated it should be used with white gas/coleman fuel/naptha not alcohol. And Cottage Hill Bill is quite right that you need to let it sit for a while to let the wicks fill with fuel.

That is a gorgeous and old 210. Is there a date code letter on the base?

Regards
    John

6. Afterburner

@Ken Doubleday One active stovie @Tony Press lives close to Hobart so maybe he will 'step in' and is able to give 'local' help for you.

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Lovely Pr210 that you have. It must be pre-1926 as that was the year that Primus fitted folding feet rather that the fixed feet of your example:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1926-primus-210.16167

You can check the year of manufacture from the date code on the tank base:

Primus Dating Chart 1911 - 1964

Do nor remove the pump tube from your stove before we get you to try to retrieve the “spinning” NRV by alternative means:

Some background on the Pr.210 retail seller:

31 Cornmarket

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  8. kerophile

9. Majicwrench

Cotton mophead or string....and even if it says "cotton" it may not be.....burn a piece of it and if it melts and globs it is not pure cotton and will not work for a wick.
    Neat stoves!

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Hello, Ken.

If you need any assistance, I’m in the vicinity.

Cheers

Tony

@Ken Doubleday

11. Ken Doubleday Australia

WOW, you guys are awesome. I have ordered some wick, just to be safe. The 210 is a D model which I believe is 1914. I 're' removed the nrv, and found the lead..ish washer on the valve was causing it not to sit cleanly. Took it off just to see what happened. The tube feels ok..

Thanks for the info on my local fellow Hobartian. Will make contact soon.

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  13. Ken Doubleday Australia

Hi Tony. Would luv some local support and guidance and keen for you to see my stoves and get any help I can. I actually got the 210 burning again but after 5 mins it went out and won't restart. Still needs a new pump piston washer which has been reordered as the ones I received were too big. I note you are in Howden?

14. Ken Doubleday Australia

Hi All.

Well using the better fuel (It's called Shellite here) and then using wicks really helps...

Thanks all. Now to finish the 210 and my Primus 632 blowtorch. Just started the cleanup today.

Attached Files:

15. kerophile

16. Ken Doubleday Australia

Will do, thankyou.