Coleman 400A Backpacker stove

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by andyfoulds, Apr 15, 2018.

1. andyfoulds

I very recently bought Coleman 400A Backpacker stove off epay I have tried one of the tricks for cleaning the tube that goes over the flame and that seems to have worked quite well in that it now delivers fuel to the burner head. Pic of flame and stove on the go

The issue that I have is that it wants to let fuel into the pump tube when I pump to add pressure to the stove, which is a recipe for disaster if you need to pump when its lit. Plus it washes the oil off the pump cup.

Can you still buy the part at the bottom off the tube? Is it broken?

Bit of advice required.

20180414_204556.jpg

20180414_204658.jpg

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

There's a check valve located at the bottom of the pump tube which doesn't seem to be sealing for you. Check valve tools (for removal) are available on that same auction site. Once you get it out you might be able to service it.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-my-coleman-peak-1-400a.34135/

I've soaked mine in vinegar for 4-5 mins and that will often loosen up any crud that's keeping it from closing. Jerry

4. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Usually it should push out only air and not fuel if the check valve leaks. If it does push out fuel, the first thing to check is that the tank is not over-filled with fuel. If it isn't you may have a leak in the pump tube but that is extremely unlikely.

You can use carburettor cleaner spray with the long tube to flush deposits from the ball and seat in the check valve. To do this, empty the tank and leave fuel cap off. Remove the pump plunger and the fuel shut-off stem from the pump tube. Flush any dirt from the bottom of the pump tube and then spray directly into the center hole in the check valve.

In the unlikely event that does not fix it you can remove and clean or replace the check valve.

5. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

What phaedrus said. Many respected members here say they have never had to remove a Coleman check valve. Let it soak in the carburetor cleaner and it likely will free up. It is just a tiny ball bearing that has to seat to seal the pump tube. The cleaner will get rid of the deposits that are keeping yours in the "open" position. I have the correct tool to remove the valve but, as I said, many feel it is unnecessary. I have never had to replace one since they all freed up when soaked in carburetor cleaner.

6. Majicwrench

If it has fuel in the pump tube there is something wrong OTHER than the check valve. I would empty font, pressurize, and with pump out of pump tube, put some water in there, see what bubbles from where.
    PS check valve will always leak a little bit without the air stem screwed in.
    Coleman has a little tube that runs from the check valve to the top of font, so even if valve leaks, all you get it air. Something else is wrong, other than check valve.

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @andyfoulds as said already.
    A couple of points
    1. Only fill the tank 3/4 full . Never tip the stove to fill.
    2. After pumping are you turning the pump rod to seal the valve?

8. Gas_Leak

You should only fill when the stove is level. The filler opening has a tube that extends into the fount slightly. When the stove is level, it will overflow at the proper 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank without overfilling. It's a safety measure that is circumvented when the stove is tipped during filling. The pump has an "anti-siphon" tube that goes up to the fount's airspace. When it's overfilled, fuel can get pushed back out the pump if the check valve doesn't seal completely, which is definitely a fire hazard.

That's the most common cause of the problem you describe.

9. GeneH

GeneH Subscriber

..bet I've overfilled mine. Good info.

10. andyfoulds

Some cracking info my Coleman 533 is also a little tempermental as well so all good info for use with that stove as well.

I'll have another go at cleaning it, it started to play up after a few uses and I managed to find a video on youtube that seemed to be quite useful on stripping it down.