Coleman 415C

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by marblecreek, Feb 24, 2019.

1. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Found a Coleman 415C at a local shop yesterday...was not going to buy another suitcase Coleman. Although not unheard of, this one, unlike those 415C's in the reference gallery has the cast iron burner assembly. This is a first for me. Given that the 415C stoves in the reference gallery have the pressed burner assemblies, it makes me wonder if this model of stove was when Coleman transitioned their two-burner stoves from cast iron to pressed burner assemblies? I suspect that some Coleman stove experts will weigh in on this thought.

Stove only has surface rust. Tank had almost no internal rust. Did the basic overhaul of the stove and it works like a champ. Does not look like it was used much. Features that I find interesting are: legs that pivot around to secure lid (not a great design because the point where legs are secured for use extend out from front of case), towel drying rack, fuel tank painted brown, extra long side wind screens, and in interesting hinge arrangement for the lid and grate securement that does not allow for removal. Given that the rust issue is not major and that I live in a very dry climate, I am going to leave the case in its found condition. I am really impressed with the quality of the cast burner assembly. Here are some pictures.

DSC01080.JPG

Burner assembly without burner plates.
    DSC01074.JPG
    Burner plates (three cast iron), separated and stacked.
    DSC01066.JPG

DSC01073.JPG
    Top view.
    IMG_20190224_135922.jpg

Tea test at 9 degrees F with a stiff breeze and snowing. Both burners work as they should .Note the towel rack.

IMG_20190224_135316.jpg

IMG_20190224_135304.jpg

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Nice,,, very nice...

3. MartyJ

MartyJ Subscriber

Very nice. I have a 3F which is a few years younger but not much. The cast iron burners are nice. Mine is the same color and works very well. You will enjoy it. I wasn’t looking when I found this one but, like you, couldn’t pass it up. Glad now I got it.

According to the Coleman book your stove was made 1940-42 so a war baby.

4. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

This is my 2F. It looks like the burner assembly is the same, with the same flame spreaders. The left burner control has the black knob.Closest date I've found was 1926 but i welcome corrections.This is my shop stove for when serious heating is needed for welding or cylinder heads for motorcycles. IMG_0020.jpg

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@marblecreek

I have adverts showing the 415C from 1940 and 1941.
    I have very few adverts from WWII except military ones.
    Certainly by 1947 at the latest the model number had progressed to 415D.

Here is one of my adverts for the 415C from 1940.

Coleman 415C-416C 1940 .jpg

@goldwinger11

Coleman tended to progress their model numbers over time.
    I have adverts for the '2' range. Here are some of them.
    2E - 1934
    2F - 1934
    2G - 1936
    2H - 1936

An anomaly to this sequence is the 2B stove which was manufactured in 1937.

Here is a 2F advert from 1934.

Coleman 2F 1934.jpg

6. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Very interesting information. Thank you. From a first glance, the changes over time made to this line of stoves doesn't appear to be all the big. For example, it would appear that the 2F case shown above in goldwinger11's post is the same as my 415C; the differences being the replacement of the plastic nob on the left burner control and a different colored fuel tank. I suspect that the biggest change this two burner stove underwent would be the shift to the pressed steel burner assembly.

Gotta love the fact that these stoves come in just shy of 15 lbs. This is in stark contrast to the later Coleman 442 with the aluminum case.

7. goldwinger11

F4A7ECE5-9656-4DC1-8CDF-DDC046EB32C8.jpeg
    The differences that I’ve found were the black knob, the flat bar legs that fold up to lock the lid, the wire cloth hanger. I might have misspoken and this might be a 2 B.

8. shagratork

@goldwinger11

Being a Coleman 2B makes much more sense.
    The 2F has a centrally placed fuel tank and was painted maroon/brown.

The 2B has the same tank and in the same position as in your photograph.
    It was also painted 'Forest Green', like yours.

A 2B advert from 1937.

Coleman 2B 1937 A.jpg

9. goldwinger11

Ah man! Now to find a matching oven, maybe.:-k Thanks for the info.

10. goldwinger11

I recall researching my 2B and found it to be a1926 model. Also the 1996 Coleman guide shows it to be 1926.

11. shagratork

@goldwinger11

First of all, I am not an expert on Coleman stoves.
    However, I do have hundreds of Coleman advertisements.
    The Coleman No. 2 does appear in adverts from 1924 to 1930, but the Coleman 2B only appears in adverts from 1937 to 1940.

Terry Marsh's excellent website is here.
    Terry is an expert on Coleman and other US manufacturers.
    He says that the 2B was introduced in 1937.

Coleman 2B.jpg
    Courtesy of Terry Marsh

12. shagratork

@goldwinger11

As an addition to my above post, I should say that I also have a copy of the 'Coleman Collectors Guide 1903-1954' which you have mentioned in your posts.
    It was published in 1996, which at the time of this post is 23 years ago.
    Knowledge of Coleman stoves (and lanterns) has progressed a long way since then.
    The Coleman Guide contains many well known mistakes and omissions.
    Collection of information of all makes of stoves has grown massively since then. Lots of new information has been unearthed.

In 1996 there was no 'Classic Camp Stoves' or 'Old Coleman Parts' or 'Coleman Collectors Forum' or 'International Coleman Collectors Club'.
    The Internet as we know it was not there. It was just starting to grow.
    Information for Guides like the Coleman one of 1996 will have been gathered by face-to-face communication, phone and postal letters.
    Physical examples of stoves will have been collected and investigated, and where possible original document archives will have been consulted where they exist.

Anyway, back to your Coleman 2B stove.
    I believe that the 1996 guide is wrong regarding its date.
    The guide says that it was produced only in 1926 and that its colour was black.
    So there is the first problem. Your stove seems to have an original colour of green.

If we also look at another stove, the Coleman 2 (no following letter).
    The guide says it was manufactured in 1925 and 1926.
    I have numerous documents showing that it was still being advertised up to 1930, but no adverts for the 2B in those same years.
    The only adverts I have seen for the 2B are from 1937 to 1940, which is supported by Terry Marsh's site.

Over the years Coleman often missed out a model number or model letter and sometimes brought them into use later.
    I could point out many more inaccuracies of the 1996 Guide. Lampies have similarly spotted many, many mistakes.

ONE example of mistake/omission. I have adverts for Coleman 7 and 8 stoves. You might notice that they are entirely missed from the list of Coleman stoves.

13. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Congrats on the score @marblecreek !!!
    I liked that one too, w/crest label, *Solodur tank etc. There was a time I "just had to have it".

Re: "this one, unlike those 415C's in the reference gallery has the cast iron burner assembly."
    Soooo easy to miss details. Your burner is no different than ONE 415C in gallery (and mine), jus sayin', a friendly FYI.
    HOWEVER *the tank, yours has brown tank??? That is different... (or am I now missing something :oops:) did 415C use both brown & bronze??? :-k
    Yes, enjoy the big sky my old friend, it's a (god-forsaken) lonely place here without you :lol: :cry: .

Trevor, You've tapped into a steady flow of those US suitcase ads:thumbup:. I defer to your expertise and add that as with the case w/so many images of stoves... the "scale" of things is easily missed (ie 4" vs 5"). Black/brown cases tend to be closer to 4". Green, light green closer to 5... imo, for sake of discussion check the **dims. I'm following this one w/interest from the get-go!
    thanks to all omc

PS ** 415C: Closed 18 1/2 x 11 13/8 x 4 5/8”, 15 lb 11oz. .
    The grate is 16 1/4 x 10 5/8 (of 1/4” rod). 11 ¾ x 3 ¼ soldur bronz color, stenciled "solodur", cast iron manifold,
    slotted burners: top diameter of the main and 2nd is 2 1/8". (7 rings on ea), cntr to cntr 9 15/16” … right here on CCS the online stovie resource! ha

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  14. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Hey OMC. Yep, shortly after my post I noticed another (your) 415C with the cast iron burners. All is good in Big Sky, "The Last Best Place".

15. goldwinger11

@shagratork I thank you for all that you've added to the 2B. It spreads new light on my earlier research which was over ten years ago. I recently was gifted the Coleman book circa 1996 and it apparently corroborated my earlier results. However as more info has been accumulated seems the vintage has changed.Thanks again for the heads up.

16. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

I second my thanks to all who have provided information.

17. Punch

Punch Canada Subscriber

Question about these style of stoves. Mine is about 30 years old and works fine. But once and awhile a loud tweet sound is heard and the flame extinguished. What is the cause of this?