Coleman 415D

Discussion in 'Coleman No:415' started by hydro451, Jan 21, 2010.

1. hydro451

Hi All,

Another contribution. This is a Coleman 415D, 2 burner with a steel manifold and wire legs. I really dig the legs on this stove :) , very cool looking and very stable too :clap: It has it's original paint - there was some concern - but after consulting here and with Joe(coleman413c) we trhink it's original .To be fair to Joe and all here it's not 100% sure because those who saw it only had pictures from me and you know how the lighning and camera settings can effect colors. It very similiar in color to the original color of a 420.

This stove was made between 1945-47 and is considered the daddy of the 425. It's a tad larger that a 425D, which is slightly larger than the 425B, C. It has the steel burner manifold , the first for Coleman as well as the pressed steel burner rings - the crinkled and flat rings of your modern Colemans. Another first.

I received all this info from Joe who was kind enough to take the time and email me. Hopefully he'll chime in and correct any mistakes I made and add more I'm sure :)

It runs just super. It holds the record for boil time in my experiments at 3.75 minutes for a litre in the un-covered thin aluminum pot , using the main burner on high , with the aux. off.

1264079807-415D_whole_closed.jpg 1264079807-415D_whole_closed.jpg 1264079891-415D_whole_legs.jpg 1264079935-415D_tank.jpg 1264079981-415D_label.jpg 1264080017-415D_carb_stampings.jpg 1264080082-415D_2_flames.jpg 1264080099-415D_main_flame_high.jpg 1264080110-415D_aux_flame_high.jpg

And don't you just love those legs/feet :)

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. RonPH

Tom, very nice indeed :thumbup: Now am beginning to appreciate the 425 I have albeit its the heaviest stove I have owned so far since my collection is limited to smaller stoves. As I mentioned this may be my only suitcase stove and since its well preserved and "old" I will keep it that way.

Ron

3. mbechtel

Nice Tom!
    That stove looks like it would be the corresponding smaller 2 burner to the 413C.
    I had a 413C I used for parts with that same brass tag. The one I have now has the decal and no tag. I've seen those legs before and always wondered if it was stable. Well done and thanks for adding yet another new suitcase to the gallery!

4. DavidOR

Oh, some day you'll come across a clean 426 series stove and you'll get it! I know....They're addictive.

Tom....Did you have to do much fettling on this stove? It's nice looking! I've passed on a few yard sale Coleman stoves around here because they were in such sad shape. And often you could tell they'd been put away right after having been used with food spilled all over them. I've been tempted to ask if anyone got sick after using the stove.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. mbechtel

It never ceases to amaze me that people do that. Most Coleman stoves are "sticky" when you get them second hand.

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Hey Tom,

Nice flames on your stove. I was quite intrigued about the stamping on the burner manifold. Very cool! That really adds to the uniqueness of the stove.

So many stoves, so little time, so little money to collect them...but I'm going to give it a really good try!

Thanks for sharing!

sam

7. coleman413c

coleman413c Subscriber

Tom:

Just a minor clarification regarding the manifolding. Yours was the first to use the all steel manifolding which was designed to completely come apart by unscrewing from either burner assembly. The 413C used the same feature. More modern stoves, such as the 413E and newer had all stamped steel manifolding but the pipe was pressed into the burner assemblies and not designed to come apart. That made for a slightly lighter stove by weight.

Your stove and the 413C manifold pipe utilizes fine threads, not the standard pipe threads. I don't know the size and pitch.

8. hydro451

hi all,

Ron, the 425 you have, in that condition is a great score. The leg design is not the best , but they changed to the more stable wire style with 425C and D.

DavidOR, honestly i can't remember, if i did anything it was just a gen. cleaning and tank clean, but not sure.

Thanks Joe for the corrections and updates , i'm always making mistakes :(

tom