Coleman 425 Green suitcase stove leaks gas on second burner when first burner is in use.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by weylan, May 16, 2019.

1. weylan

I have a colman 425 GREEN suitcase stove.

Both burners work great together.
    First burner works great.

But after a little use the second burner starts to leak gas a bit and you can smell it, and see it. I can open the key valve for the second burner and use it just fine, but it is smelly when you only use one burner.

I can see the threads going into the second burner but can't tighten it more to make it actually shut off when only use 1 burner. I would have thought to use Teflon tape but it get so hot under there I don't want to melt it or what else to try. The gas seems to come out the burner not at the valve though.

2. Jeremy Belgrave-Lock

Jeremy Belgrave-Lock United Kingdom Subscriber

@weylan

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will be able to advise you soon.

Regards Jeremy

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

4. Tron

Tron Subscriber

If you remove the auxiliary burner, just undo the screw and remove the top plate and the burner rings, you will see that the auxiliary burner is regulated by a plate at the end of the threaded stem of the regulating knob/key whatever. The plate seal against the manifold, but not so well in your case.

Wrap some wet and dry fine grade emery paper around a thin, flat item, a bit of plastic like a credit card cut in two is perfect. Open the valve until you can insert the "sanding block" you just made between the manifold and the plate on the valve, close the valve until you can still just move the plastic/emery paper up and down. Sand/polish it like this for a short time, then close the valve a little more and continue sanding. After a few minutes open the valve as far as you can and shine a light on the two surfaces. You are looking for shiny, even surfaces. When you are happy with the results close the valve, replace the burner rings and top plate, and test the stove.

Kind regards
    Tron

5. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

Aux burner>>> Remove the C clip, disk washer bushing and the nut from the rod, check the mount hole for the burner rings screw has not cracked. Look down the tube to see it a bug crawled in there and died.

6. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

Take the aux burner vale apart and check the tube for spider webs and bugs. Remove the c clip, the disk, the bushing, the nut and remove the rod.

20170608_121014 - Copy (2).jpg

7. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Tron and Herc have given good suggestions. I'd look for anything obstructing the tube and plate. It will never be an air tight seal but it shouldn't have a noticeable smell.

8. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Herc's picture is excellent, shows exactly the seal I would check, between the tube and the plate. Mine look a little different, but if yours is the same as the picture, remove the c-clip and take out the plate, rub it on emery paper. Rub the end of the tube as well, to get a good seal on reassembly. Its probably a good idea to put some sealant on the burner assembly screw as well.

Kind regards
    Tron

9. Majicwrench

Just take out the screw on top of burner... you will be looking into unit just like picture above, you will see something,,,bug, debris. You can do the sandpaper thing if you want, but it is not that kind of seal. Just clean will work.

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Because of this thread I pulled the aux burner off of a 413E that I will get to a needy person. I saw the parts you mentioned. Easy peasy.