Coleman 425 or 425F

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Retsof, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Retsof Canada

I recently picked up Coleman 425… At least that’s what the sticker on the front says. However when I looked at the manufacturer’s instructions and details underneath I found two different numbers (see picture below). Can someone explain to me what those numbers mean? If my stove was a 425F wouldn’t say it on the front of the stove? Also could someone explain the difference between the different letters on the 425? Is there just a plain 425 without an E or an F?

thanks kindly

Dave

009E9E31-A2A4-499F-87D3-73DA3969FE36.jpeg 54A13950-DA2E-4728-BB82-619AA30D7832.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
  2. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

425 is the basic model number. The letters afterward indicate minor changes. I’ll look up the years for the “F” model and update this post.

….Arch

3. Retsof Canada

Thanks so much… I have 99 stamped on the bottom. I am trying to order valve stem packing for the valve gland nut so I wanna make sure I get it right!

4. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

The textured finish and dark green are marks of the later made stoves. In Coleman nomenclature the first model has no letter after the model number and among collectors is often referred to as a "no letter" and sometimes written with NL after the model number to indicate an early item and not an untyped letter, i.e. a first model 425 would be written as 425NL. Letters were added to the model number to indicate a minor change, usually to simplify production or save money. The 425F was first produced in 1979 and continued well into the 1990s. I haven't kept up with the small changes in the later models but I believe when Coleman stopped stamping the model number in the case and went to stick on labels they dropped the letter in the model name. Another change to the later stoves was the repositioning of the fuel fill cap from the end of the tank to the center facing the stove. This change makes it impossible to refuel the stove while it is burning. Yes apparently some folks were in fact stupid enough to do that with the end cap version tanks. There really isn't a dime's worth of difference in the performance between a 425NL and the last 425 off the line. Great little stove, if somewhat limited on pot space.

5. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

My pleasure. The 425 series debuted in 1948. (The first of the series was just called “425”, rather than “425A”.) The 425F runs from “1979 - beyond 1983”, according to Guide to Vintage Coleman Products 1900 - 1983.

Yours is obviously newer than 1954 (when the “B” came out). I don’t see an “F” designation in your photos, but that would be my guess.

Does the fuel filler cap face towards the stove when the tank is mounted (to discourage filling when tank is on the stove)? That would make it a late “E” or an “F”.

….Arch

Note: my reply crossed with @cottage hill bill

6. Retsof Canada

Thanks for all those details!

7. Retsof Canada

Yes the filler cap faces the stove… And I believe the date is also stamped on the bottom it says 10 and then if you went to the way it says 99… Perhaps that’s the month and
    the year?

8. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

FYI -Nice 425nl made 1948-53 they came with brown and gold color round faunts see more in gallery. Also have mom and pops 425nl they might have bought new. (did not come with coleman stenciled on faunt) Daryl sunny SoCal
    100_9285.JPG 100_9287.JPG 20210301_125506.jpg

9. Retsof Canada

I just came across another problem related to the numbering on my stove I was hoping you guys could help with.

As I wrote above, I have the 425F499T. I went on the Old Coleman parts website to buy new valve stem packing. However, when I was looking through the listings of user manuals I saw that there were separate manuals for the 425F (Compact, economy, instant lighting gasoline camp stove) and 425F499 (Two Burner Stove).

When I looked at the parts diagrams I saw that the 425F listed the valve stem packing as a separate part. I then checked the diagram for the 425F499 and saw that it does list the valve stem parts separately, only as a whole (the valve stem assemble).

So my question is, if I have the 425F499T, do I have to buy the entire assembly? Are they that different? Or can I simply go ahead and buy the valve stem packing even though it's not listed in the diagram?

Thanks again for all your help,

Dave

PS- Could someone also let me know what the T means after 425F499? Also, what is the difference between the two models. The names are definitely different but in the diagram they looked almost the same.

10. Retsof Canada

When you originally posted this I had never seen one of these nor knew what a NL was... I just picked one up today that is the exact same as yours! Now I know what I bought... thanks for posting!

11. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

The OP does not have a 425NL. In the Coleman collecting world the NL designation refers to the first model of the item that was produced. In the case of 425 stoves that would be 1948-1953. The 425B came out in 1954. There apparently was no 425A. The 425F came on line in 1979 and was produced well into the 1990s. The OP has correctly identified the manufacture date of his stove as October 1999. From the mid 1960s dates were stamped on the tabs of the fuel tank. Sometime in the 1970s they started stamping the bottom of the stove case. Tank and stove dates are often mismatched by several months or even a year because of production methods. At sometime in its production Coleman dropped the F in the 425 name. That doesn't make it a 425NL, it makes it one of those things that Coleman did just to mess with collectors. ;) A dark green, textured case with a tank that has the fill port in the center of the tank facing the case is a 425F no matter what the sticker on the case says. At least that's how most collectors will view it.