Coleman 425 simmer on main burner

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Alan, May 20, 2020 at 4:12 AM.

1. Alan

What is the best way to simmer on the main burner of Coleman 425? Everyone talks about great simmer capability of the second burner but not the primary. Experimenting with the stove I can achieve simmer by adjusting up/down lever and with primary fuel knob. What is the right way to do this?

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Try less pressure? L lever in up position is only for start up.
    Duane

3. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

The lever controls the fuel/air tube and as Duane says should only be up during the first minute or two of start up. With the lever up you are leaning the mixture (adding more air to the fuel) and will quickly depressurize the tank. I normally start with about 30 pumps to light, then add a few pumps after the flame is burning blue. Never a problem with getting the main burner to simmer.

4. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

I have found some stoves simmer better than others and even on simmer still produce more heat than what I am cooking needs. Try using a heat spreader/defuse plate under pan. Can be as simple as a can lid with or without holes. Try using larger pan than needed to absorb some extra heat. Since your not carrying a 425 on your back go with cast iron pans and do away with hot spots, well almost. Pan material and thichness really make a difference when you have extra heat. May need to pre-soak legumes or adjust menu to shorten cook time. I have held my thin fry pan above the grate to get away from the heat plenty of times so maybe you can fashion some type of sturdy spacer. Think outside the box and you will be rewarded. enjoy Daryl stay safe

5. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

You might clean the generator if you don't know when it was last cleaned. May help?