1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 425c thrift find

Discussion in 'Coleman No:425' started by outlaw, Mar 4, 2008.

1. outlaw

I picked up a very nice Coleman 425c Suitcase today while looking for pots at the thrifts. Ordinarily it takes a lot for me to take a second look at suitcase Colemans, but this one was just too nice to walk away from.

It looks like they gassed it up used it for one trip and the rest of the paint damage is storage and transport around the thrift store. The burners have nearly no flame wear on them.

Best of all, I rotated the lever a few times, pumped it up and when I opened the valve fuel streamed out!

Needless to say, it lit up right away. No picks of it burning but I will need to clean the burners of dust, there was some yellow in the flame, I'm guessing from dirt. Oh yes, the tank was full and that was the fuel I tested it with. I'm guessing it is from around 1963-64 when the stove was made, possibly as early as '61. In any case, 40 year old fuel!

Oh yeah the tariff? $9.99!

1363561760-IMGP1925.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. bark2much

How sweet! A nice haul it is. How about some action shots?

3. Matukat United States

If everyone knew that you could find a good suitcase like that for a price like that, wonder how many fewer of the new ones would be sold? Great score Outlaw!

4. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    Back in the Fall of '62 a few short months after I graduated from High School, a Coleman 425C was the first store bought camping stove I acquired. I still remember the price, $8.99. I got it at Pay 'n Save drugs during their annual hunting season sale. I used that stove for car camping, fishing and during what came to be known as "Tthe Great City Light Kerfuffle of 1965". In about 1981 I donated it to my son's boy Scout Troop. They are still using it. I talked to the currnent Scoutmaster, and will trade them two good used current production gassies for it. It will be nice to have my old friend home once again, dents and all.

By the way, Outlaw, look on the tank tabs, the manufacture date may be stamped on one of 'em.

I'm pretty sure the 425C was Coleman's least expensive suitcase stove at the time. Just as rugged and dependable as any other, just smaller and simpler.

Gerry

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I bought a 425 new for one of my sons for Christmas maybe three years ago; it was $59. I thought that was pretty good in this day and age for a two-burner stove that will last forever.....

6. wvjeepr

I just bought a 425c with a 220H Lantern in the yellow carrying case with a 1/2 can of fuel for $25 yesterday. Not sure if I'm gonna keep them or re sell them as I have a newer larger Coleman. Amazing how great the design was.

7. dave w United States

i bought a 425E in 1972 new for 12 dollars and change, still got it and use it look well used might have to redo some day

8. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

I picked up a 425E last week in a Good-Will shop in Oregon, for the princely sum of $5..
    A little bit of light rust on the lid, but it came with a partial tank of Coleman, and fired right up.

Coleman, not much for pretty, but Hell for stout!