Coleman 425s Recalled in Canada

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by paultee, Nov 26, 2021.

1. paultee

paultee Canada Subscriber

I was in our giant hardware chain, Canadian Tire, earlier this month wondering where all the naphta stoves went (they always have some stocked, even if they're losing shelf space to propane).

Turns out the government didn't like the caps (not childproof, which is why my cold fingers now struggle with MSR's childproof cap design) and the warning labels (the MSR 50th anniversary bottle was pulled from shelves here for this).

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 12.22.33 PM.jpg

While this is very annoying, I do like the fact that there were no reported injuries, and the detail that Canadians still bought over 65,000 of these since 2010.

I hope this doesn't mean that Coleman will just stop selling the model here permanently.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Trangia had to remove the word "gasoline" from the writing on their brand name fuel bottle. No design change, no difference of material, still the same bottle, and valve/cap, but it cannot SAY it can be used with gasoline.

3. Lantern

Lord protect me from those that want to protect me.

4. snwcmpr

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

― Konstantin Josef Jireček

5. Fettler United States

A "childproof" filler cap. Hm.

Anything like that for propane tanks and bottles? Wouldn't want to give them any ideas, but this is an oversight.

6. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

They’ll put them on canteens next. Wouldn’t want the wee ones to drown.

….Arch

7. snwcmpr

This reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit on the Arthritis medication ...
    "Tryopenin".

8. Jim Lukowski

Jim Lukowski United States Subscriber

This recall apparently only applies to the 425 stove. So, what do the other stoves and lanterns have for a child safety cap? Anyone got a pic or description? Is it similar to the child proof cap on a can of Coleman fuel?

9. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

the attempt to counteract thw Darwinian survival of the best fit will continuously frustate the governments that adopt them nevertheless they hold fast giving pain in the ass rules for the not minus habens people.

10. BrianP Canada

I usually silver solder a 160 Conibear around the cap so kids can't reach it.

11. MrCanoeHead

Those nice Trangia fuel bottles with the valve on top have similarly disappeared from Canadian retailers. I asked the Canadian distributor what happened and was told "Unfortunately the labels on them along with the safety valve does not meet Health Canada regulations and Trangia has no plans to update the design."

Bloody aggravating, especially since the methyl alcohol I want to use as fuel are sold in all Canadian hardware stores in containers with a cap that can be opened by anyone who can open a plastic soda/pop bottle.