Coleman 426D flame intensity

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by jkline, Jan 19, 2019.

1. jkline

No, she's broken flush. Was hoping just getting a drill on it in reverse might spin it out. Nope.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I do not think we are speaking of the same thing.
    The generator tube has two threaded ends. One screws into the valve assembly. I take it that you have already removed that.
    Now, you take the other end off, the cap with the jet. What is left is the tube with threads on each end, the coil and the rod, broken off.

3. jkline

Oh, gotcha. Yes, the generator tube is off, and is functioning nicely on my 426b. The rod didn't break off inside the tube: it came out whole when I removed the valve. The rod broke when I tried to remove it from the valve.

Apologies, don't know the proper names for all the parts.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Oh.
    I have always removed the rod before I remove the generator tube. I considered it fragile.

5. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill SotM Winner Subscriber

Ken, He tried to unscrew the pricker rod from the valve stem and torqued the rod off at the end of the valve stem.

6. jkline

So, I got the remains of the pricker rod from the valve stem. Most of the beveled portion is gone. Garbage or still usable?
    Thanks

Pic.jpg

7. jkline

Not the best pic... cell camera isn't very good. The pricker rod is still in stem, took the pic before I screwed it out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. cottage hill bill

You have destroyed the valve stem. The angle at the tip is what seals the valve to shut off fuel from the tank. The valve stem was pretty much gone once the pricker rod was broken. It is impossible to get the stub of the rod out of the stem without a lathe once it breaks off flush with the valve stem. Order a new valve stem from OCP, screw the new rod from your new generator into it and off you go. While your on OCP look through some of the parts diagrams and various disassembly posts. It will help you in future projects if you understand how the different GPAs work and what the pieces do. This isn't meant sarcastically, understanding the theory of how something works helps you know how to proceed when fettling something. You can learn by reading and observing or by breaking and replacing parts. The former is usually cheaper. Most of us here us both methods.

9. jkline

Conclusion of this saga:

Valve/generator assembly arrived from Coleman. Installed, and the stove runs perfectly.

These babies are perfect for winter car camping: two burners to cook on and one burner to keep my hands warm.

Thanks for the advice.

10. cottage hill bill

Glad you got is resolved. I'm a real fan of 3-burner stoves, any make.