1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 442 Feather 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Coleman No:442' started by Kristian123, Apr 5, 2013.

1. BurningD Netherlands

Yeasterday I bought a BRS-12. It came with a NSN (7310-01-388-0751), registered as a kerosine stove for the Royal Dutch Army. I was curious because it is supplied to the army and produced in China and it looks inspired by Coleman.

I took it apart and was pleasantly surprised by clever engineering and good quality. This stove is light, in part because of the windscreen being made of cast aluminium. The pump rod and knob and the valve assembly are all aluminium.

Feet, burner bell, pot supports and vaporizer are all stainless steel. Even the wire inside the vapourizer is stainless steel.

The most important parts are very well made. The jet and valve assembly are near perfect, better than parts I’ve seen on some famous brands. All things considered, I think this just is a good product. Not perfect, but what is?

I didn’t have time yet to light it and to make pictures, sorry about that.

I think it’s wrong to say that China made products lack quality by definition. Yes, a lot of poor quality goods are produced there. Not because they can’t do better, but because the rest of the world seems to want cheep rubbish, instead of paying some more for quality stuff.

2. Kristian123

Kristian123 Norway Subscriber

Would like to see your BRS-12 from the Dutch army. Perhaps it is a different model.

3. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    I'm curious to know how Coleman got a reputaion for blocked generators. I have a Coleman 425C bought new in 1963 and used car camping, hunting and fishing, nearly every year since and is still running on it's original generator, which remains in good working order.

I have had friends bring me Coleman stoves which they said were not working correctly because of a bad generator, but when asked to light the stove, I found they were ususally not sufficiently pressurised or had the cleaning needle lever in the wrong position. One fellow was trying to burn deisel fuel because it was cheaper. I've also found quite a bit of dirt in several stove's fuel tank, valve and generator. A quick rinse with some aeorsol carburetor cleaner, some fresh Coleman fuel and the problem disappeared. So the problems I'm aware of with Coleman stoves seem to be mostly operator error.

In my years in this vale of tears, I've found that following the manufacturer's instructions regarding fuel and maintainance will extend the useful life and reliability of most products whether or not the operator is a Patriot. Coleman stoves are no exception.

Red, White, and Blue ol'

Gerry

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

all 4 of my single burner colemans did get a blow torch over the generator when I got them in an effort to clean them but whether it made a difference is a big question. They were all going well before so there was little or no improvement to make

5. Sukiari

I also have a 442 Feather. It was a Christmas present from my mom, which she gave me back in my scouting days.

It has never failed me and I am back to using it along with a Coleman 425 and a Svea 123R after a brief infatuation with MSR stoves. I have bought enough MSR pumps to pay for the Svea and the 425, and they just keep getting more flimsy with each revision!

The 425 will be operational long after I am not, as will the Svea and the 442. The MSR stoves will be museum pieces because nobody will have working pumps for them in 100 years.