Coleman 4M

Discussion in 'Coleman No:4' started by Garth, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Garth

another rescue stove and it actually works but with the price of fuel for it it is unlikely to be used a lot The previous owner says it was bought new in the late 50's IMG_20200125_074638.jpg IMG_20200125_074700.jpg IMG_20200125_074725.jpg

2. Barrett

Barrett New Zealand Subscriber

Another cast iron burner 4m, is the tank everdur @Garth ?
    Saw another one listed but resisted adding anymore 4's, even tho ours down here break tradition.

3. Garth

Tank steel and kinda painted to look like brass

4. Kyle Raines Canada

I recently acquired a Coleman 4m and what appears to be a 6J. The 4M has the same locking legs as the one pictured above but without the cast manifold, just the pressed sheet metal. It also came with the newer style tank, not the cylindrical one every other 4m seems to have. The 6J had the cylinder tank though. I'm currently restoring them as they were pretty rusty and trying to find replacement filler caps as one of them leaks. Apparently everyone in Canada stopped selling the filler caps and it would cost me $30 to ship from the US.

Overall it was a great deal, I picked up the 4m, 6j, 288a dual mantle lantern still new in the box and an old screen room for $50. At first I thought the stoves weren't going to work, but after changing the fuel, they started right up. The old fuel that was left in there by the previous owner smelled a little like kerosene, but it lit easier, so I'm thinking he was mixing it.

5. Garth

Has been a while since i last ran mine , but isn't there a rubber washer in the fuel cap? likely that will be all you need an o ring will likely substitute to get things working remember these were designed way back when things were built repairable this throw complete new assemblies on is a recent invention

6. Kyle Raines Canada

Ya, I thought of that too, but figured it would be easier for now to get a new cap, they used to be widely available. I contacted Coleman Canada and they confirmed that the caps are discontinued. I ordered some from a guy selling parts. I'll keep the old cap and replace the washer as well.