Coleman 500, 50/B

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Haggis, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I’ve been nigh 3 weeks in voluntary incarceration, and reaching the limits of boredom, Herself has suggested (sternly demanded) I do something; “Play with your stoves and lanterns”... She’s busy with her students and “distance learning”, and way beyond tired of telling me to stop asking questions.

Anyway, the Coleman 500 was a thrift shop find a year ago or so, hadn’t done any but pile it with the “to do’s”. Everything that should move moves freely, and today I replaced the fuel cap gasket. I pulled the generator to clean it, but the spring inside defied all efforts to remove it; the rod, jet, and cleaner tip seem clean enough, but the spring is frozen in place for now. The fuel pump leather is soaking in oil to try to get some life back in it. Tomorrow I’ll see if the NRV is working, maybe pull it to inspect it, and if all goes well, add some fuel and try to light it.

The stove came into this world the same year I did,,, be pretty nifty to see it at least running again... I post a photo of it burning tomorrow, if,,,,

58023344-E6AE-4E98-A3CB-8FC0479C8816.jpeg E4237040-BFD9-4EB1-BBB2-A4CB79C3E7BE.jpeg

2. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

The spring will come out...you have to heat the generator red hot...and it will come out. I did this on a generator I thought was going to be destroyed and it worked. You might need more than a propane torch though.

3. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I’m hoping it will light, and after running a while the heat from the burner will encourage the generator spring will move.

4. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Wow! you got sent to your stove! Hope to see it burning.

5. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Wow...It's not often I would think that a woman would say that. lol
    You'll get it going. Those 500's are bulletproof rock-solid performers.

Alex

6. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Back together, and up and going,,, even boiled water for tea. Now, I need to dig out the painted 500, 51/B; maybe it will prove a simple to get going?

97CA8522-33E1-40B2-8903-CCE5753EE3B7.jpeg 4F2C2503-04CD-41EE-9BE8-70CA05AA320E.jpeg