Coleman 501, June 1962.

Discussion in 'Coleman No:501' started by Doc Mark, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Stovies,

Whilst perusing the offerings at an roadside RV swap meet, I found the place to have a plethora of stoves and lanterns being offered for sale!! Amongst other things, I found a very nice Coleman 501, which is a model I've long wanted to own!! The price for the stove, and also a small bag of parts for an Optimus stove (offered by the same seller), was too low to pass up, and so it now is in my care!! I have yet to clean off some surface rust, and do any maintenance on this stove, as of yet, so you will see it in "as found" condition, which is really fairly nice!!

As a warning, the Model 501 stoves were found be have several manufacturing and design defects, and were very possibly dangerous to actually use. These were recalled by Coleman and destroyed, with the Model 502 coming in to fill the need for such a stove. Therefore, even though some other 501 owners have pushed the envelope, and fired up their own stoves, and though my stove has been fired by a previous owner, I shall not be using this stove, and will not fire it up, ever!!

Here's what I found:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

So, there you have it friends!! This is a very nice example of the 501, and should clean up quite nicely. Once a little surface rust is removed, and a good cleaning is done, this stove will be ready for action...... though it will always be retained in the back lines, and never see fire again (at least whilst I am it's Caretaker)!!! Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Nice presentation Doc. :thumbup:

3. Duck United States

I understand your reasoning for not firing it up. It would drive nuts. I'd have to take the chance at least once. Good find Doc. And congrats on finding a long sought after stove for your collection.

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Great find, Doc. I'm thankful your 501 was found by someone who knows the danger and will take precautions. It could just as easily have been found by someone completely clueless, who would then have been endangered.

I'm afraid I'd have to fire it up just once, as well.