1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 516

Discussion in 'Coleman Solus - all models' started by Knight84, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Knight84 Canada

The Coleman 516 can be seen in this September 1941 Coleman Catalog that Littledre so generously added.

1262223826-IMG_2267_opt.jpg

1262224771-IMG_2350_opt.jpg 1262224787-IMG_2268_opt.jpg

The 516 is the roarer model and the 517 is the silent.
    My stove lacks any dating code anywhere on the stove or parts. I believe that was normal for this stove.

The plain feet and tank shape reminds me of the Primus 5. ;)

One things that the 516 has is a positive locking pump valve which for a kerosene stove is different. The positive locking check valve pump design is very maintenance free. No rubber to go brittle or fail.

1262225235-IMG_2220_opt.jpg

Another nice feature is that the fuel tube is removable from the tank. A rather plain burner that is unmarked or branded. A well built copy of a Swedish burner.

1262225284-IMG_2225_opt.jpg 1262225296-IMG_2224_opt.jpg

The tank is stamped "Made In Canada" "Coleman"

1262226145-IMG_2226_opt.jpg

1262226156-IMG_2349_opt.jpg

The filler cap/air screw seems to be taken right off the irons of the time. The small filler neck leads something to be desired while filling.
    1262226166-IMG_2353_opt.jpg

The instructions I have for the stove are in English, French and Spanish. I believe Coleman made this stove to fill the void and demand for kerosene burners in rural areas and on water.

A solid performer that easily passed the boil tests.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

That is so awesome, Jeff!!! I almost started drooling. The brass is perfectly beautiful. You have an awesome item there! Thanks for sharing your great pictures!!!

sam

3. hydro451

Jeff,
    How thick is the brass on the tanks on these stoves compared to say a Primus 5 or Opti 5 ?
    Looks to be quite substantial ? And it runs super, nice flame ! And great presentation, marvelous, just marvelous :clap:

Tom

4. Littledre United Kingdom

Loving it Jeff :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. mbechtel United States

Beautiful stove Jeff, well done!
    I've got the 517 model. My burner is also without markings, aside from the cap. I agree with you completely on the filler neck size. It's hard to find a funnel small enough to fill it without spilling fuel. That being said, I still wouldn't trade it for anything! A wonderful stove and congratulations on owning such a beautiful piece of brass!

1262372225-Colemancatalogue_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  6. Knight84 Canada

Hello Guys!

Sorry for the late reply.
    Thank you so much for your great compliments.

When I first got this stove It had something loose inside the tank. I was worried that it was some solder from perhaps a repair. I tried to shake the tank and to no avail it didn't come out. So plan B was to use a magnet tool. Well that worked and I pulled a 3 inch nail out of the tank. Didn't see that one coming.

Hello Tom,
    The brass is very similar to the Primus 5 or Optimus 5. I believe Coleman was trying to compete with Primus and Optimus at the time. In North America and England. And no doubt owned a Primus or Optimus stoves to learn from.
    The Toronto plant was making a lot of great lanterns and stoves at this time for sale in England and America.

Hi Matt,
    I agree I wouldn't trade it for anything. The Coleman funnels of this time are the only thing I think that works. I would love to find a 517. Have you posted any picture of your 517. I see it in your one post "U.S. Coleman Solus (my personal Holy Grail)"

Cheers guys!

Jeff

7. mbechtel United States

Hi Jeff,
    Here is a post rgearding that Solus. You'll see a link within this post also that will take you back to when I first got it.

The stove is now 100% complete with all the correct parts including the pot support ring.

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/107317

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Knight84 Canada

Thank you Matt! I knew I had seen these pictures before but forgot who was the owner. I am glad they have a great home with you.

I forgot to add these pictures.

1262417841-IMG_2361_opt.jpg 1262417856-IMG_2366_opt.jpg 1262418046-IMG_2362_opt.jpg

In case anyone was wondering that is a Coleman L427 (1926) Quick-Lite lantern and a Coleman 519 (1982) heater in the 2nd picture.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  9. ThosKiwi Canada

Hello Jeff
    That a skookum stove you have there.

How does one identify and date a solus?
    Some have tube feet and some have paw feet(US?).
    The burners, silent or roarer, are easy.

I've recently acqured one similar to yours.
    Only missing a burner ring, which I'm fabricating.
    The grate was corroded and heavily blackened.
    First, I tried Autosol, but it wouldn't touch the muck on the grate.
    Now I've cleaned it up by glass bead blasting and HT silver paint. "Coleman" & "Canada" shows beautifully now.
    What should the grate finish be?
    In some photos on this site they look like they're brass plated.

Still got to get all the muck out of the tank, I tried flushing with kerosene and then soaking with diesel. I may try carburettor cleaner next.

I've been proceeding cautiously, the whole unit was blackened and covered with scorch marks.
    I've resisted removing this platina.
    It looked like the brass finish was originally lacquered?
    It will come off, as I test polished, one badly blackened spot, off the fount with autosol and a rag. Lovely brass beneath!
    Fount is boldly marked "MADE IN CANADA", "IN" being a smaller font.
    I've still got to get some copper washers and/or seals for it.
    Whenever I hold it and look at it, it is beautifully made (K.I.S.S.)...I can't wait to light it up and make a brew!
    Cheers
    Thomas
    p.s. Does anyone make a screw plug for the tank so the burner can be removed and the unit packed more compactedly without leaking fuel everywhere?

10. Knight84 Canada

Hello Thomas,

Welcome to the site. Thank you I like this old brass stove. I was hoping to take it up north this year but maybe in winter.

How are things out in BC?
    I was just out in Vancouver. The weather was well you know.

My pan ring was painted in a gold paint. I believe this is how they came new. It is hard to date these stoves. Take a picture of yours would help though.

I would say paint your pan ring in a high heat black paint.

The tank would have been lacquered when new. To keep that shine on store shelfs. Try white vinegar in the tank. Just don't leave it in long. (10-20minutes )

As to a travel plug... Good idea. Iet me take a look at my stove and try something out. Not sure about the thread size.

Best regards,
    Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. ThosKiwi Canada

Thank you Jeff, for your welcome and warm words!
    BC is beautiful in the (Fall)Autumn. A little damp and misty on most mornings, but then that afternoon Fall sunshine makes up for it. Still above 0C overnight here.
    Gold paint on the grate ring makes sense, like shiny lacquered brass tanks for shop displays.
    I went for silver to reflect the heat.
    Wouldn't a black finish absorb the heat more?
    It wouldn't show the soot as much as silver or gold though.
    I will try white vinegar &/or coke in the fount/tank before I resort to Carb-Cleaner$$.
    Travel plug! That's the right name. I've got a thread pitch gauge as well, its a tapered plug fitting but really fine threads.
    I asked about this, as the original solus instructions/brochures spoke about manufacturer parts inter-change-ability, but I suppose now sixty+ years after manufacture, not many places/manufacturers carry spare parts.
    My other reason was, it would be nice to pack it in a biscuit tin (like the Radius 21 etc) for travel & storage. (I know the grate/ring is fairly large) And if the tank was sealed this would reduce the smell of kersene, also I wouldn't have to drain it out all the time.
    I located some 5/8" soft copper washers (engine sump plug) from Alder-Autos today. Just right for part no. 564 or 516-317 "Burner gasket" replacement. I'm still working on the replacement burner ring, currently using copper.
    I will try to take and post some photo soon.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Thomas

12. ThosKiwi Canada

Hello again,
    I'm going to try to attach some pictures! 1320615229-ColemanSolus__opt-1.jpg 1320615445-ColemanSolusBurning_opt2.jpg
    But, as you may be able to see, I had a brewup this morning!
    1320615921-C.SolusBrewing_opt.jpg
    1320616112-ColemanSolus_1_opt-1.jpg 1320616341-ColemanSolusPumpDetail_opt2.jpg
    I'm still learning how to work this editor.

I'm still organising a replacement flame ring.
    I've located a couple of new Optimus 00's to
    use as guides.
    I was pleasantly surprised how fast it brought my hotwater jug to the boil.
    I'll post some more images as I proceed with the cleanup, and get a little more confidence with this editor.
    Cheers
    Thomas
    p.s. My son's trangia burner has developed some cracks around the crimp ring! And they bubble during a leak test in warm soapy water! Is this common?
    It appears that he might have caught "Stoveitis" from me! T.L.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  13. Centuryhouse United States

Congrats on a VERY cool stove! I haven't seen one of those before...I'd love to stumble upon one in the local Craigslist! 8)