Coleman 533

Discussion in 'Coleman No:533' started by great-white-gas, Nov 29, 2020.

1. great-white-gas

great-white-gas United States Subscriber

I really enjoy this stove. Uses about 10ml of regular (87) gasoline to boil 1 litre of water in <10 minutes at 0º Celsius without a windscreen. Although it's listed as a dual fuel it's burned all the fuels I've put into it (kerosene, naptha, gas, gas/deisel). It's a little heavy at 880g (1.9lbs) unfilled but an absolute workhorse and therefore my go-to for car camping. As seen in attached image it's very easy to tear down and clean, though the heavy steel parts have definitely gone out of vogue

Screenshot_20201128-155710_Instagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
  2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.

I agree that it's a fine stove. Really best with Coleman fuel/White gas.
    Especially handy as a third burner when needed to supplement a Coleman two-burner suitcase. We used one in just that fashion a couple of months ago:

[​IMG]

3. Lance

It's been a while since I've had a stove lit, I even had to look at the pictures to remember what kind of stove you were talking about. Whoo Whee i so remember now. I hve one or two of these hidden out somewhere in the dungeon. Dang i just might have to get one out and fire it up just to remember what i've been missing.

lance

4. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

I have never tried one on kero etc . How do they do?
    Are they easy to light?

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Lance Haven’t heard from you for a while. Hope all’s well with you.

Took a Coleman 533 to get you to break cover.

John

6. presscall

Usual Coleman doddle on white gasoline. The ‘dual fuel’ designation means it can cope with pump gasoline as well as Coleman fuel (or equivalent) but the pump gas would surely shorten generator life, proving more costly in generator replacements than the savings in fuel would offer.

On kerosene? Would require separate priming and the gasoline jet would be over-large. I’m thinking Coleman Apex with its gasoline and kerosene generators, defined by a smaller jet orifice on the latter (and scribed line on the clamp nut).

7. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

@presscall Yes I have used pumo gas on mine but use Coleman now.
    I was talking about using kero etc. I didn't think they would work on it?
    Alan

8. Lance

Presscall actually i was going through my notes on various passwords i have used through the years and lo but here is a site i haven't visited in a while. I thought i'd stop by and see what is moving the world. Odd but i do miss the lads and lasses here. According to Good Wife i am now officially an OLD GEEZER and should spend more time with my online friends and my stoves.

Lance

9. presscall

Do so.

Regards,

... another Old Geezer

10. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

@Lance Welcome back, Old Geezer!

....Arch

11. Paul Aslanides Australia

@great-white-gas Thanks for posting that pic of the Colemand 533 stove dismantled. I bought one recently, had to give myself a birthday present. You think it's heavy ? Wait 'til you find a Coleman 500 stove. I read somewhere to be careful of the weight you may put on the 533, and now I see why - just that three-sided bracket of thin sheet metal supports any pot on top. Looks like it's riveted to the fount at the centre. Still, a great little stove, and only $97 in Melbourne, $71.52 USD. Cheers. Paul.

12. Alcoholic Australia

I have one of these and it runs great of course on white gas (our shellite). Following feedback on here though, I haven't been game to run kero through it. This is despite kero being less than half the price of shellite around here... a big sticking point regarding regular use of this stove.

@great-white-gas - how does it go on kero? In what ambient conditions have you run it on kero? How did you prime it? I'm thinking a butane torch would be the best idea.

@presscall - I have heard this point about kero jet sizing but it makes no sense to me. The important thing for jet sizing in my mind should be energy density on a volumetric basis. On this page Energy density - Wikipedia it says that kerosene is 35MJ/litre and petrol is 34.2MJ/litre. In other words, they are almost identical. So, why the need for a differently sized jet? I can understand that kero may need a bigger generator but I also hear that kero burning coleman stoves don't have generators that are any bigger than their white gas counterparts, although I haven't confirmed that myself (can anyone confirm?). So, what gives? I'm struggling to see a reason why a 533 couldn't safely run kero but I'm too scared to try it because surely the manufacturer would have mentioned it if that was possible? Unless Coleman just wanted people to buy Coleman fuel and/or new generators when people tried using pump gas as per the "dual fuel" claim? Or just because they didn't want to design in a priming solution?

Then there is also the broader point of whether kero could be used on suitcase stoves - I also have one of them that spends most of its time in the cupboard for the same reason...

13. presscall

Theory aside, there are plenty of practical applications in contemporary liquid-fuelled stoves where a jet intended for gasoline won’t work if kerosene is used with it. By ‘won’t work’ I mean yellow flames rapidly leaning to a lack of vapourisation.

In the course of my experiments with using kero in a Coleman Handy Gas Plant it became clear that a smaller orifice jet was required, no question.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  14. great-white-gas

great-white-gas United States Subscriber

@Alcoholic - It sucks and I've never gotten water to boil using only kerosene. Used sterno gel to prime it, had to pump nearly continuously, and even then it sucked. Probably impossible in winter.

@presscall - I've been mixing kerosene 1:1 or 1:2 with white gas and the stove primes noticeably faster when it's really cold in the morning and I'm trying to make coffee. I've always assumed it was similar to mixing gas into diesel to get it to burn, but perhaps the priming only appears to be faster when instead some fuel is simply being wasted. If a smaller orifice is required for kerosene to vaporize, could a fine metal mesh be implemented inside the existing ring (the one weighing 9g. what would this part be called?) similar to the mesh bag of a kerosene lamp?

15. Geoff Chirnside

Geoff Chirnside Subscriber

I have had a 533 for a number of years and I like it because it is a stove that sits in the boot (trunk for yanks) of my car and is allways ready to boil the billy.
    I would not even contemplate trying to run it on Kerosene.
    White gas is more than twice the price of kero but it uses so little fuel why would i put myself through the ordeal of trying to get it lit with kero.
    For real cooking I have some, fair dinkum, kero burners that really put out the heat.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  16. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

@ArchMc, @Lance and @presscall
    If you’re official Old Geezers - might I then (being a ‘64-model) qualify as a Young Geezer :lol:

17. Ed Winskill

@Harder D. Soerensen

That's for sure, Harder-- you are 3 years older than my oldest daughter.....

18. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Thanks Ed - Wonder if I should rename to Harder The Kid ;-))

19. Ed Winskill

But then, I'm only 19 years older than her...

20. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber