Coleman 975D

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by MrAlexxx, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

Was lucky enough to be alerted by a friend who lives in the northern part of British Columbia of a stove that he had seen at a local auction that had gone unsold with no bids on it. He asked if I was interested he would go back and see if he could buy it for me. ABSOLUTELY I said! He went back and got it very reasonably. Took almost a year to work out the delivery of it. As luck would have it he had to come to the airport local to me to pick up his brother. I was really looking forward to taking delivery.

It's a Canadian 975D Coleman Cottage/Cabin Stove large 3 burner.

As delivered. Nothing was broken and in pretty good solid looking shape. Just dusty and dirty from sitting around for who knows how long.

Stove 1.JPG

stove 4.JPG

stove 5.JPG

Wiped down. Not looking too bad.

stove 6.JPG

Not much needed to be done to get it back up and operating. Was pleasantly surprised that all knobs and valves turned and did what they were supposed to. Swapped out the fuel cap gasket and gave the large pump cup an oil massage and pumped it up and watched the pressure/fuel gauge move accordingly. Tank was full of RUG of some sort so dumped out as much as I could and gave it a rinse with new CF. Pumped it up again and opened fuel valve watched a nice thin stream of fuel squirt out. Let it sit for an hour or so checking for leaks gauge pointer remained where it had pumped to. I figured it was good to go.

Large pump with a long stroke so maybe only 10 pumps and had pressure gauge at 20PSI. Start-up procedure open first valve at fuel tank 1/4 turn. Has a safety pop up disk/pin which stops the valve open at 1/4 turn with a detent under the valve wheel for the startup. I gather much like other Coleman stoves this valve regulates the air/fuel ratio. Then open generator valve and light burner. After a minute or so when the generator has been sufficently heated hold down the safety disk and open the first fuel valve all the way and regulate the burner flame with the generator valve.

DSC02808.JPG
    DSC02810.JPG

Lit up straight away albeit kind of smoky and with an orange looking flame at first. Let it burn for about an hour and it settled down to a nice blue flame.

stove 7.JPG

Lit burner number two. Looked like it had been used but burner three looked to have never been lit. All good.

stove 8.JPG

Set up on my covered deck with the rest of my junk. It's going to be my new outdoor cooking/baking station. Tried it that night when my partner made a chicken pot pie. The small portable oven is a treat to use. Holds the heat real well way better than the foldable Coleman oven and the temperature gauge seems to be bang on. Only thing was had to dial the main burner down about as far as it would go as to not overheat the small oven. This stove is a beast!

stove 9.JPG

45 minutes later. Success! :)

stove 10.JPG

Going to make a reasonable facsimile stove stand for it to properly sit on. Apparently, the Model 975 featured in the gallery here is the same stove just a different model number when delivered with the stand. Was wanting a larger CF fired stove for the deck for a while now so was pretty happy to get this one. :) Thanks for looking.

Alex

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

Coleman catalog pictures.

IMG_6211(1).jpg

IMG_6210(1).jpg

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Now that's an impressive one....

4. lant-ern

Alex.That is a keeper. I could see a stove like this being used in logging camps.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Great find! Well done to your friend for snagging it and getting it to you.

Wonder how many Colemans sit for years, then crank right up on fresh fuel and an oiled pump leather.

6. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Nice score my friend!