Coleman fuel, the stovie answer to bacon

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Nordicthug, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Is there anything it can't do?

It's a fuel, it's a hair pomade, it's a dessert topping. Really though, I just re-re-discovered a "new" use for it.

I had several old steel baking sheets and pans which because I was born cheap am quaintly thrifty, I was loathe to toss or give to the poorer people. So.......in a fit of whatever one wishes to call it, I essayed to take a scrap of tee shirt material*, wet it with Coleman fuel and try to wipe off the baked on carbonized crud. It worked beyond my fevered dreams. And let me tell you, I have some seriously fevered dreams. Psychotic, even. But that's a vicious rant pleasantly amusing story for another time.

Now all my crappy, cheap old heirloom baking sheets and pans are clean as whistles.

Why are whistles considered to be clean? I've seen a few (on lanyards around High School coach's necks) which were demonstrably, and disgustingly filthy.

* Old tee shirts found in or around Thugge Manor not currently being worn are repurposed for cleaning cloths or stuffing the pie holes of screaming little snots adorable neighbor children. They make wondrous gun cleaning patches and wound dressings as well. I've been told that some profligate shooters actually buy cleaning patches cut from tee shirt material offcuts in underwear (What the Brits call "spanners") factories.

Miserly Thrifty ol'

Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

lol nordicthug. It's also great at removing pine/balsam/spruce sap from body parts (well, most anyway).

3. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

" wet it with Coleman fuel and try to wipe off the baked on carbonized crud. It worked beyond my fevered dreams. And let me tell you, I have some seriously fevered dreams. Psychotic, even. But that's a vicious rant pleasantly amusing story for another time."

dont the instructions on the bottle say something about using with adequate ventilation???

4. lamafat

SMolson I will have to remember that I hate the feeling of spruce sap when it gets stuck under my foot. Although I do love the flavour of spruce beer.

5. woodsy97845

Anther great, and less costly, way to remove pine sap is with rubbing alcohol...which I am sure everyone here has ample access to :content:

6. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Peanut Butter is another good item to help remove sap too. The issue with rubbing alcohol is that people generally don't take that with them camping. But if you're home go for it. Not sure if Kerosene will work - I'll try it out though.

7. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

nothing better to remove pine sap and tar from foot then olive pil, it will never irritate the skin and everyboady (mediterranean people) have it when camping.
    Orsoorso

8. hobowonkanobe

I just use alcohol as after shave ( cant stand the scents they insist on putting in marketed after shaves) and for killing the spores of mildew.

9. rogerzilla

It makes good panel wipe if you have to spray a car.

10. magikbus

Any kind of sap comes right off with butter. You can then clean your hands on some bread for a wonderful outdoorsy tasting sandwich.
    Stan