Coleman kerosene camp stove flame is yellow

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by BChance, Nov 6, 2019.

1. BChance United States

After a few use of this stove, the flame becomes consistently yellow and does not go back to the strong blue flame. Even when I tried turning it low. How can I improve it?

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @BChance ,

Welcome to CCS! It would help, greatly, if you tell us what stove you have, and post some photos of the blue flame, then the yellow flame. What type of kerosene are you using? Did you buy the stove new, or used? Is it a roarer, or silent model? Do you have a pot on the stove, or not? What are you using to prime the stove?

Photos, and answers to questions like the ones I've posed to you, will help us, help you. By the way, where are you in CA? If you're in the South, we're having a get together soon, and if you can attend, we may be able to show you, in person, what's wrong with your stove. I look forward to seeing photos of your stove, and reading your answers to my questions. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Aside from one suitcase model and the Solus line, Coleman did not make kerosene stoves. Are you confusing Coleman with kerosene instead of white gas/Coleman fuel?
    Duane

4. itchy

Don't forget that the 550b and Exponent Apex can be used with kero with the proper generator. But they are not usually called kerosene stoves.

5. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Dear Mr. Doc.,
    I've the same problem with the Coleman 550B year1995, New Old stock.

Video it and only need to watch after 18:10 , as video the flame is not really well-blue-flame even all the parts were cleaned, all the Orings were replaced with proper sizes...
    The stove's mechanical design is not so complicate so I think my reassemble was not having faults but the flame is still showing yellowish...

The Generator for Kerosene which is also new in stock never used, and i checked the jet and internal wire, everything was fine without any soot, clogs...

Sometimes Changing Generator would be a good solution but hope to have advices in order to know my fault or known-issue about it.

sorry for my English, I'm not an English speaker so hope to be understanded generously...
    Thank you!

Yun

6. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Yun, your video shows the 550B burning kerosene in a manner that looks like mine as well. I am assuming you are using the proper kerosene generator. Maybe @Doc Mark will chime in here as he has a good bit of experience burning kerosene in one. I have several of these stoves. I leave my most used one set up with kerosene generator but mostly burn Coleman fuel in it. It burns gas very well with the kero generator. This way I could burn any mix of kero and gas or either one exclusively, the only difference being that when burning gas in moderate temperatures it requires no priming. Brad

7. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Hello BradB,
    Thanks for yr reply. Yes I had installed the proper gen designed for Kerosene which has the "- - - "scratches on the nut.

Yes, Kero gen and Jet can be used with the lighter fuels as like as Liquid gas, Butane, Gasoline, but the output power would be lower than bigger R jet.

I dont know if all 550B is working as like mine with Kero fuel, with yellow flame... any advice should be very thankful for me.
    Thank you!!
    Rgds, Yun

8. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

I have the 550B and have noticed that the air/fuel mixture seems to change when you re-install the generator tube depending on how far the tube sticks into the burner. It is one of two issues that all of my 550B's have had. What I do is hold the tube with one hand while tightening the nut with the other. Once I find the sweet spot I make a mental note as to how far it is inserted into the burner. The gas generator seems to be more forgiving on this issue than the kero generator for some reason. Notice in picture four below that there is a tiny flame kicking back out of where the generator is inserted when improperly adjusted.

White Gas Properly Adjusted
    DSC_0021 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0025 (Medium).JPG

Kero-generator in too far by a slight amount

DSC_0030 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0029 (Medium).JPG

Kero Properly Adjusted

DSC_0028 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0032 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  9. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Thanks Cookie, now I've got what you mean. So the generator pipe should be inserted as "sweet spot", then I will see the better flame as more blueish. In fact I had read the same theory from this forum in the past maybe you already posted. I thank and already tried so now that video's flame was my best adjustment...
    In any case your last photos with Kero-proper position, still shows a little yellowish so maybe 550B w. Kerosene always shows a little of Yellowish flame.
    If yes, I wouldn't worry anymore and use this stove with great pleasure.
    Thank you for yr advice. Yun¹²⁴

10. Cookie

@Yun¹²⁴ Also, take the "kero" remark with a grain of salt. Although I tried to empty the font there may have still been a slight amount of white gas in the tank. I think that the pictures were taken using Klean-Strip Klean Heat Kerosene since I use that almost exclusively in all of my kero stoves. As a side note what is the flash point temperature of your kerosene/parrafin ? I keep 100°F, 124°F, and 154°F rated kero in my shop for my stoves, lanterns, and lamps. A different flash point rated kero may produce less yellow in the flames. Good luck.

11. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Here in Korea, this market doesn't have any kind of variations of Kerosene, only one thing that is called "White Kerosene for indoor heater use" from the fuel service stations. it is the Pure Kerosene without nothing additional chem.
    The flash point has been declared as above than 39 'C from the official MSDS.
    Hope around 40 'C would not be a big matter for this case.

Thank you for your advices in detail.
    Yun

Attached Files:

12. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Cookie, I agree that depth inserted effects the flame (nor does one want underburn).
    Re the sweet spot, as i recall
    the gen up from from the tank, the gen and top grate, while loose,
    the gen can align to the right,
    (the slot in burner dish, the gen and gen nearest fin to the right, the 3 align)
    w/gen close / against the grate piece/fin, then snug them up.
    With that as a starting position, my recollection, the gen will perfectly center in the cut-out of the next fin and will want to set/insert at proper depth into burn chamber.

That's my impression and that it's by design. We can all admit it is a peculiar yet exact bend in the gen... that is, as i mention (my impression) by design by the stovie design wizards of Toronto. Once installed in that position, there still may be slight play at the burner end but one may want to start the positioning as described (it should be close to optimal there). my 2 cents

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Yun¹²⁴ ,

Dear Mr. Yun,

Thank you for posting here at CCS, and for sharing your burning problem with us. I've never encountered the yellow flames that you, and others, have experienced. But, I have have admittedly been VERY careful when changing generators on this particular stove. Even though I did not realized it, at the time, that's probably why I've not experienced the problems to the point that you, and @Cookie did. I will say, however, that, on our long PCT trip, when we used the 550B, after burning kerosene in it for about 3 months, I began to see a bit of yellow in the flame. But, it did not effect the performance of the stove, and I wrote it off to the generator getting a bit dirty, after being worked that hard for 3 months. I tip my hat to Cookie, for his comments, and testing, and can now see that making sure to hit the "sweet spot", when inserting a new, or cleaned generator, does seem to effect the color of the flames on your stove, and on his. Well done, Cookie, for your comments on this!! I hope Cookie's comments are helpful to you, Mr. Yun. As an aside, my wife and I very much enjoy the Korean food that we've had, and we were hoping to visit South Korea this year. Unfortunately, the job that we had scheduled, was cancelled, so our visit to Busan did not come to pass. We had made plans to meet up with my good friend, @gunsoo , when we were in Busan, and, sadly, that visit had to be postponed until another time. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Cookie

@Doc Mark Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to note that I purchased six 550B's for $88 that were NIB around November last year. The pictures above are with a brand spanking new generator in a stove that was unfired until that day. The new generator required "adjustment" via a boxed end wrench to alter the bend at the burner ever so slightly in order to get it to fit into the burner at a better angle to allow proper insertion. If memory serves me correctly this helped in reducing the yellow flames somewhat. The kettle pictures were from the "official tea test" with some Lady Grey tea that day.

@Yun¹²⁴ 100°/39°C kerosene in my area is normally considered to be "thinned kerosene". It is often cut with mineral spirits or other chemicals. This flash point is often considered unsafe in flat wick lanterns due to it causing "runaway lanterns". It is normally considered safe for round wick lanterns. The 124°F kerosene is the minimum safe flash point for a flat wicked lantern. The 154°F flash point kerosene is what is considered to be "pure kerosene" here. The Klean-Strip Kerosene alternative fuel that I use is 147° flash point kero I believe. I have access to JP-1 in my area but don't currently have any atm. I write the flash points on all of my different brands of fuel just to be safe.

15. Yun¹²⁴ Korea, Republic of

Dear Doc, I thank you for your reply. Regarding your plan to be in Korea for yr tourism, I feel sorry that you should cancel it due to covid19(maybe?). Of course still you can visit Korea without a Visa but should be in forced-quarantine 14days. So it means almost impossible...
    Pusan is my wife's home city with the chaotic car traffics :roll: hope soon you're going to be here without any problem! My elder sister has been living Orlando but I never had been there, really hope to fly there very soon after the covid19 is solved. I don't know who @gunsoo is, as I am still newbie at here.
    Thanks again your many post articles were really fantastic.
    Yun

Dear Cookie, Thank you for your reply, I didn't know Kerosene has so many variations because here in Korea nobody cares about it, the Kerosene fuel is only for the heating fuel indoor uses. In fact if somebody uses Kero for the other purpose as like as for fueling old Diesel car, it is strictly prohibited and to be in jailed really immediately due to the Tax rate difference.
    Korean petroleum chem companies like SK Energy, GS Caltex etc. they are 1st tier in that industry, but no way to have higher Flashpoint Kero in Korean markets, sad but not a super big deal...
    Your advice is really helpful to my knowledge thanks!! Yun