Coleman lanterns, stoves, parts and USGI surplus

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jim Henderson, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jim Henderson

Hello,

I bumped into this guy last week and made a visit to his "office" on Saturday. He is located in Yucca Valley, near Palm Springs, Ca, USA. "Reasonable" driving distance for LA, Orange, Riverside and San Bernadino counties.

He is a Coleman authorized service center so he has lots of parts and can repair Coleman products. He has a LOT of old and some unusual Coleman and similar products as well as some WWI and WWII surplus items. Some of the gear he has rebuilt to like new, some is as is. He can service any Coleman product to factory new condition or very close.

He has literally thousands of old Coleman lanterns. I have never seen so many lanterns in one place. They go all the way from the old Quicklights to maybe the late 1990's, including some military. Also some other brands like Thermos, American Gas?? and unknowns.

He also has maybe a few hundred stoves including a COLEMAN #2(needs fettling) WITH the built in oven and similar types. He has many 502s, Speed masters and some NOS WWI Medical dual burner stoves(523?) in the medical "briefcase" can and some 520s and 530s GI stoves, some dual and triple burner suitcases. He had several old, maybe 1920s-40s era suitcase stoves from Coleman and other makers.

He also has a few heaters mostly from Coleman.

He has tons of parts which was my reson for finding him. I bought 3 USGI Lantern Generators, "shepherds hook" at $13 each, brand new plus prickers.

He is not cheap but is on a par with the usual War Surplus stores. His advantage is that he has a huge stock of stuff of interest to Stovies interested in Coleman or US manufacturers. So you don't have to shop around.

I could spend hours if not days rummaging thru his stuff. Unfortunately he does not have a catalog or webpage, so you have to ask or rummage for what you need.

I bought several old stoves and USGI things that my son and I wanted. Pricing was reasonable. But I did get one clunker stove with a leaky tank. He probably has parts or maybe he will exchange. I don't know his policy on that.

So FWIW,

Jim Henderson

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Sounds like AGM - American Gas Machine Co., Albert Lea, Minnesota... 8)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Jim Henderson

I believe that is correct. And there were other brands too. There is just too much to remember it all.

Jim Henderson

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Richard Wolfenden is a great guy.
    I have been dealing with him for years.

5. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Jim,
    Is this by chance the fellow who had the Old Town Coleman Museum in Yucca Valley?
    Best,
    Randy

6. itchy

Until recently that was Frank, also a good guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

:shock: Wow! TWO extreme Coleman collectors in Yucca Valley... Something in the water? ;)

8. Rick b

I (as well as others here) had purchased a few items from Frank at Old Town Coleman and he is a great guy. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) he turned alot of his inventory over to Robert at
    http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/
    and has been selling off stuff on ebay as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

Rick you are right Frank from OTC is out of the Coleman business

10. Jim Henderson

Don't know, don't think so.

Wolfenden said he is semi retired and just kind of does this business for fun and extra income. His place is not a museum. Stuff is piled or hung everwhere. Almost no spot that doesn't have some sort of gear covering it.

Jim Henderson

BTW the USGI surplus includes camp cots, canteens and belts, some webgear, shovels, lots of shovels, signal lights, and who knows what else. Of course surplus coleman stuff too. I would guess 80% Coleman stuff, 15% USGI Surplus gear and the rest odds and ends. Most surplus stores will have more USGI, but he does have some unique things.

11. Paul B

Paul B Subscriber

I knew I recognized the Nickname. I bought my first on line Coleman from him 10 years ago. A beauty and complete B47 - 530 Pocket stove which I still have but only take out to light now and then. It is louder than any roarer I have. He was expensive then and now but his items were complete and fuel ready.

12. Jim Henderson

Well, good news. Mr. Wolfenden said he will take care of the stove that I had a problem with.

I assume each stove return is a "case by case" but Richard is easy to work with and sounds like he makes good on his sales. Considering the stove is well used, it is good to see a dealer stand behind even old stuff.

I am exchanging for something that should be an interesting winter fettle project.

My son and I will be doing some future rummaging again.

Jim Henderson

13. Charles760 United States

Sad to say Richard passed away this April

14. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Sorry to hear that. RIP Richard.

I’ve had parts from him in the past.

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Sad news ... a great guy to deal with.

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Wow! That IS very sad news! I, too, had bought from him in the past, and I talked to him now and then, back when we did business together. I was happy when he opened his shop, after Frank closed the Old Town Coleman Museum in Yucca Valley. Richard was a good man, and he will be missed. May he rest in peace!!

Sadly,
    Doc