Coleman M-1950 and Wile E. Coyote moment

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by presscall, Dec 12, 2009.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Cheap as chips, so the cosmetic flaws in this Coleman M-1950 were fine by me, and it would surely clean up well

Pic_1.JPG

Sure, it was a bit gnarled in places ...

Pic_2.JPG

... and a Reference Gallery posting by Jeff (Knight84) sprang to mind when I looked at the tank

Pic_3.JPG

Jeff wrote, in this topic

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/118592

"The M-1950 reportedly had a special steel that could handle 10 times the normal operating pressure. "Made of copper-brazed rust resistant steel". Well, even more than Jeff's example, my stove's tank hadn't resisted the rust too well

It was headed for the electrolysis bath, so no matter, and I set about dismantling the stove entirely. It even had a spare generator tucked away in the tubular pump rod

Pic_4.JPG

I'll maybe jump the gun with a paraffin (kero) stove and just try to fire it up without too much dismantling. That said, a pump washer change, a non-return valve pip replacement and maybe a clean-out of the tank and blow through the burner with an air-line is often sufficient. Not much dismantling there.

With a petrol (gasolene) stove I'm always more fussy. A paraffin leak will leave a puddle, a petrol leak's a potential fireball, so I strip the lot down as a matter of course. Just as well I did with this one. There's a clue in the above photo of the whole set of parts, but here's another clue, the problem's here

Pic_5.JPG

Turning the hex flats nearest the valve riser, a moment akin to Wile E. Coyote spotting the Roadrunner's lit stick of dynamite inches away hit me. A Klaxon horn sounded in my head as I homed in on the detail. Ah-ooo-gah

Pic_6.JPG

Pic_7.JPG

Pic_8.JPG

My guess is that somebody's distorted the receiving socket for the eccentric shaft retaining nut before trying to screw the nut back in. They couldn't, so decided to file down the threads, and solder the nut back. Soft solder, not brazed. Not a lot of point to having a tank that could take 10 times the normal operating pressure with that little sweetie lying in wait for me. Phew!

Cheers,

John

2. Knight84

eeekkk!!! That is nasty... The repair job someone did I mean.

Your right that could have been a mess with gas!
    Are you going to braze it back into place?

Cheers,
    Jeff

3. presscall

Hiya Jeff

I'll probably seek out a spare from 'Lanternking' or one of those suppliers on your side of the Atlantic. I'd like to retain the option to remove the eccentric shaft if I want to, which a brazed repair wouldn't let me do.

Yeah, quite something. No vanity intended, but I'm glad I got hold of it rather than someone who mightn't have gone through the strip-down procedure. Fact is, when I got it the valve worked smoothly (cleaning needle tip visible when in the right-turn position), and the pump leather's immaculate, so it would have been tempting to gas it up and go.

Hey, get this, there was absolutely no nitrile pip in the non-return valve either, so I'd have had a gusher of petrol long before the solder joint on the valve went. Hopefully I'd have noticed that before I took a light anywhere near it.

I don't think I'm on anyone's hit list ...

John

4. Knight84

:shock: Wow that could have been a problem your right.

I am sure lantern king can help. He has spare wrenches I know.

You might just be on someones hit list. :lol: :lol: ;)
    Better up the life insurance.

Jeff

5. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

A repair like that and all the spares in place. I would of fired it up without looking as well.
    My one of these I made the mistake of lighting before reading the instructions. Thought its a Coleman copy so will light like a Coleman. ie pump up turn on and throw in a match. That was the first scorch on the garage roof.

6. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi John

Here i am again saying thanks for the strip down and pictures (stove, that is). I am waiting for Mr postman to deliver my Rogers M 1950 stove. So, this will help.
    I should call you "Haynes"...as in the vehicle workshop manual.. ;)

Can you do a Turm 39 strip down next ? :roll:

7. presscall

Sure, Andrew, but only if you send me yours 'cos I ain't got one. Is the Rogers the same stove only a 'civvie' one?

John

Oh, I see there's some stuff on the family tree on a CCS search for 'Rogers'

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi John

Yes, as you may have seen by now the Rogers is bang on the same stove as yours.
    As far as the Turm 39 goes... I will just have to re use my own Turm sport autopsy to help with the 39 ;)

9. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

As far as Rogers and Fiesta are concerned, they were both made for the military I believe.

Both were probably awarded military contracts and share the same path as Coleman & AGMco did during WWII.

I have a Roger M-1950 that was made in 1984. Other than a good cleaning and using the "flip the pip" trick, it works flawlessly. I don't particularly care for it's ON/OFF characteristic but it complements its Uncle AGMco 523 in my collection.

AR

10. presscall

How's that AR? You mean change the NRV pip I guess? Dumb I've been calling my FIESTA a Coleman.

John

11. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

If the pip is leaking you can carefully pull the rubber seal out and flip it over. If the rubber is still soft it will seat into the NRV and "get a second chance"

AR

12. hikin_jim

Good catch. :shock:

I think God is looking out for me. When my uncle passed, I lit his old petrol stove without really checking anything (not knowing any better). Good thing it's a Primus 71. Not much to go wrong.

IMGP0739_adj.JPG

They say that Good looks after drunks and fools... I never did drink much.

Thank God for CCS,

HJ

13. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Not that it matters, but I double checked that date and its a 1952 M-1950

AR

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  14. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Good evening John

Just looking at your stove, stripped out and photographed, there was one item i didn't see there..

The brass gauze that wraps around the jet needle.
    Did it have one ? or do i need another eye test ?

15. presscall

Evening Andrew. Yes it was still stuffed in the generator tube, I just hadn't removed it (still haven't). It wasn't in bad shape (peering at the end bit I could see) so is probably retrievable. If not, there's a new (spare) generator and gauze in the pump rod/tube cubby hole.

It's going to be a while before I get this one sorted by ordering and taking delivery of that spare part.

Cheers,

John

16. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  17. presscall

Thanks Andrew. Yes, I've had Coleman stuff from lanternking before. I have him listed as a 'Favourite Seller' on my ebay account. Even if he's not listed the part you need on ebay it's worth emailing him to check if he's got it. He often has.

Cheers,

John

18. Lance

I have the wire gauze if you need some. I have it in copper or brass as either will work fine. Just a quick ????? will have it off to you.

lance

19. presscall

Lance, you're a true gent and a CCS star. It's ok, the gauze was in the generator but I hadn't removed it for a photo and eagle-eyed Andrew (lanevitt) had spotted its absence.

Good on you, my friend,

Cheers,

John

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Presscall,

WOW!! What a thorough job of sussing out that potential horror of a problem!! :shock: :clap: :clap: A time-bomb, just waiting for an opportune moment to detonate..... you, your house, your neighborhood!!! Hey, remember what Mrs O'Leary's cow did with that wickie lantern, all those years ago in Chicago, USA!! :shock: :shock: :doh: John, if you need help finding a proper part, please let me know, and I'll see if I can find one for you. I "might" even have one down in the Hobbit Hole. But, I won't have time to go down and dig, to see, until after New Year. Let me know, and if this is a help, I'll be very happy to see what I can find for you. Again, great detective job on that errant stove, John!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc