Coleman m1950 1966

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Haggis, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Stumbled on this today, and couldn’t resist. Seems to have a new generator, has its wrench, and doesn’t appear to have been used much. I’ll oil the pump gasket, gas it up, and try it tomorrow. Who knows, maybe that’s all it will need?!

57F87D15-D6BE-43C9-8E7A-B2725510F115.jpeg 5A005A02-96D9-4B46-9F6F-F5186E94632B.jpeg 3BA1E12D-D2A9-400F-A710-0C5179AE6387.jpeg

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Nice one - Congrats!
    Its still one on my list!

3. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

On my list as well. Very cool, congrats.

4. Jim Lukowski United States

That's a beauty!

There's a good chance it will need a new pip. In case you're not aware, if you unscrew the handle from the pump tube, you will likely find spare parts in there, like an extra generator, pump cup, possibly a packing, and an unusable hard as a rock pip.

I find these stoves are excellent for making coffee. I'll heat the water on a "Born to boil" M-1950, then switch to a Coleman 502 for the perking. Not that I need to justify my stoves, but it makes me feel better using more than one. Plus, coffee is my top priority in the morning. Some things just can't wait.

5. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

@Jim Lukowski No new pump parts, but I oiled the leather pump gasket last evening, and it has life in it, air however cannot be pumped through the assembly into the tank.

I see that Old Coleman Parts has a rebuilt kit for the pump, so I think I’ll order one in before I proceed. 54 years is a long time I’d reckon,,, if all the stove needs are a few inexpensive gaskets, I’ll be well pleased.

I’m more of a water boiler than a cook. Tea and instant oatmeal (made in the bowl) test my cooking abilities, and my willingness to wash pots. I’m thinking this m1950 should be an exuberant and enthusiastic water boiler... With a few new gaskets of course...

6. Jim Lukowski United States

The one thing I don't like is how difficult it is to get to the O-ring style gasket on the valve inside the fount. Unfortunately, it's critical. If it fails, you won't be able to shut the stove off. It may be low probability that it can happen, but I change them to err on the side of caution. When you remove the valve from the fount, do not strain the outer part of the valve stem where the knob attaches or it will snap. Stay to the center. Also, ensure you keep the fount perpendicular when removing the valve as the top of the fount can bend. These are lessons I learned the hard way.

I think the kit with the gaskets and pump cup is around $5.

>>I’m more of a water boiler than a cook.

Then this is the stove for you! I can't imagine a stove boiling water faster than one of these.

7. pjs United States

My across the pond friend.. I’ll send you a 1972 .. M1950... I purchased at a garage sale.. it works but is missing the screws for the pot holder.. if interested let me know I’ll send you the current flame shots.. you pay shipping I’ll donate it to you..

8. Harder D. Soerensen

@pjs
    Thank you for reaching out!

9. pjs United States

My 1972 M1950 Coleman.. running with a fuel injection cleaner mix with Coleman fuel

Attached Files:

10. Harder D. Soerensen