Coleman N°414

Discussion in 'Coleman No:414' started by Wim, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi all, took some photo's this afternoon (between downpours, it's been raining for weeks!) of my latest stove. Bought it last week and tried it with the fuel left in it. At first BIG yellow flame, on a second try (just let things cool down, did no cleaning or fettling whatsoever) all seemed to be OK. Seems to simmer nicely, also "full throttle" with the 2 burners on looks fine. With only the main burner on, there's a lot of yellow when fully open. I'll do a quick cleaning of the burners, and have a look at the pump cup (does not work to good, if needed, I have some of Sefa's finest 8) ). Oh yes, in the photo's the grate is not positioned correctly, I know :whistle: ! No manual came with the stove, but all needed info is to be found on the stove itself so no problem there (this is my first suitcase). Looks ideal for car camping etc. , this is going to be a user stove!
    Anyone any idea when this model was made? Looks pretty recent to me :-k .
    And now, on the look-out for a three-burner one! :D 8) :roll:
    1260114132-PA260002_opt.jpg 1260114146-PA260003_opt.jpg 1260114161-PA260008_opt.jpg 1260114179-PA260009_opt.jpg

Regards,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

A nice looking "suitcase," Wim. It does look to be of relatively recent manufacture.

I take it from the label, "Unleaded 414," that the stove will run well on unleaded gasoline? If true, that would indeed be a nice feature.

HJ

3. RonPH

Hi Wim, you will love cooking in that one on a car camping trip. Nice catch there.

RON

4. itchy

Wim:
    Should be a good stove, I have heard that the cases are a little flimsy on these newer models but the guts should be good.

In the States I am pretty sure this would be sold as a dual-fuel stove meaning either Coleman fuel or unleaded. However, if you had the paper directions they likely suggest avoiding the auto fuel when cleaner fuel is available.

On my older Colemans, I sometimes see yellow flames when the stove is running just the one burner on high. As I would never run them wide open like that when I am actually cooking, I have pretty much ignored it. Nevertheless, the generator should be easy to remove and clean if you wanted to give that a shot.

5. hikin_jim

A nice looking "suitcase," Wim. It does look to be of relatively recent manufacture.

I take it from the label, "Unleaded 414," that the stove will run well on unleaded gasoline? If true, that would indeed be a nice feature.

I see on Coleman's site what appears to be the same stove: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000459&categoryid=2020 , so perhaps your stove is still in production.

The label is a bit different ("Dual Fuel" vs. "Unleaded 414"). It may be that your stove is a stove for another market (Europe?). I see a stove on Coleman.eu that appears to be identical and says "Unleaded 414", so it does appear that your stove is a current production model. Looks like a good, solid stove.

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi all, just did what I should have done in the first place, and had a look at the official Coleman site :oops: to check out this stove! Indeed, it is their current offering, also referred to as the "dual fuel" model. My guess is they simply put on another decal... :roll: .
    The gent I bought it from said he only used Coleman fuel in it (didn't use it a lot by the looks of it) and I plan to run it on panel wipe or Aspen 4 (never used it but found a place that sells it in my very own village :whistle: ), only in the worst case scenario will it be run on car-fuel. So, it will see regular use for car-camping (or should I say old ambulance-camping :lol: ) and cooking in the garden .

Regards,

Wim

PS, Jim, your daughter looks great! :clap:

7. Howecollc

I just looked at my Powerhouse 414 which was made in 1993, but its decal says Dual Fuel just like the one on the Coleman site. My master burner also burns with some yellow in the flame at full output but levels off to all blue when you open the secondary burner. I can't remember if it was always this way or not, but it's run that way for a long time. I found the date of manufacture of mine on the bottom of the case (3-93) and underneath the metal tabs on the fuel tank which hold the tank to the front of the stove (1-93).

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Mine is exactly 20years young! (12-89 on the case, stamping on the metal tabs read 6-0 or 0-9, depending from which side you're looking). These stoves seem to have a very long production run, with very minor changes between the "differend" models. Guess that's why they are relatively cheap when compared to other stoves. But as the design is simple & sound, nothing needs changeing!!! :D/ . After all, there is hardly any difference (apart from quality maybe) between an early 20th century Primus N°5 etc. and the ones still made in India this very day :-k . Never change a winning team! :lol: ;) .

Regards,

Wim

Regards,

Wim

9. Deider

Deider Subscriber

It's $90.00 new at my local Walmart.

10. Lance

Local garage sales bring that price down to $5.00 to $20.00 but it may have some dirt issues. Hummmph, i suppose i can clean a bit of someone elses dirt up for a steal on a stove.

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi Wim: While not shiny brass Coleman makes a stove that can be depended upon year after year with hard use and no fettling required. You now have a faithful car camping companion that is forever willing to serve. Mike...

12. mbechtel

Congratulations Wim, and Mike is right, that stove will last forever. The previous owner probably used regular gas in it and it might have a bit of residue from that. I'd pick up a spare generator just to keep around for future repairs. They are cheap enough that I'll just switch it out with a new one instead of trying to clean out the original, unless it's a very old model.
    If you're like me, you'll find that you rely heavily on the suitcase for normal car camping, especially if not camping alone.
    Again, congratulations!

I just looked at your pics again, there is something odd at the end of the generator. Can you post another pic close up?

13. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Matt, will these do? It burns allright, so I hope there's nothing wrong :frown: !
    |imgRemoved|'thumb' |imgRemoved|'thumb'

Regards,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  14. RonPH

Lance said

Well, I was at the flea market 2 days ago and I only picked up the lantern though the seller had a suitcase stove in nice condition (old as in cast manifold) for only $5 but since am not into suitcase stoves I did not get it. A little clean up is what I'm good at :thumbup: and as you said for a steal...yes. Cleaned up the lantern and works pretty well for a 1955.

Ron

15. hikin_jim

Why thank you, Wim. :) She keeps me nearly as warm as a stove.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. mbechtel

Hi Wim, If it works, there is no worry. :)
    The piece of brass near the end of the generator with the 4 raised rings is something I've never seen before. The generator looks like it's sitting fully into the manifold, where it should be. Those 4 rings appear to be positioned so that they are directly in the flame when the stove is lit. Perhaps those are to help vaporize fuel. I just don't know. I've just never seen them before on any Coleman suitcase...that makes yours special! The generator may also be a replacement not made by Coleman. In any event, if it works, there is nothing to be concerned about. You'll also find that almost all the fettling, if needed, is restricted to the valvebody with it's pickup tube and the generator. There is just not much to go wrong with these stoves.

By the way, of the two sizes of 2 burner stoves Coleman makes, you've got the big one! It is much better suited to oven and frying pan use.

I want to see pics of you baking a cake on that thing! :lol:

17. DavidOR

I've never seen the rings on a generator like those either. Always something new.... I have a Model 424 stove and its label lists it as a Dual Fuel.

18. RonPH

David said

Perhaps copied from the primus stoves with rings too!

19. coleman413c

coleman413c Subscriber

That gen tip with the raised rings is a common feature of the dual fuel suitcase stoves now. I have a newer 428 3-brnr dual fuel and it has the very same thing. Probably as the previous poster said, to help aid in the vaporization process.

As for the difference between the "unleaded 414" and the "dual fuel" models, one and the same. Quite possibly, the unleaded 414 was an export model. All run much better on Coleman fuel but can use unleaded gasoline safely but gen life is somewhat shortened. Besides, with those additives on unleaded fuel, I'm sure it wouldn't not only smell pleasant when burning but probably not to healthy if breathed.

The 414 is the current incarnation of the venerable 413 series of stoves. The 424 is the dual fuel model of the 425 while the 428 is the modern 426. The real beauty of these current models is that they are so user friendly compared to stoves past that it is seldom they have flare-ups when lighting. Fast instant lighting, no fuss or muss. No matter whether the stove is hot or cold, providing all is in good working order.

In fact, these modern stoves are so friendly, my wife is not afraid to light ours whereas she refuses to do so on an older 426 model due to a small incident where when she lit it, it flared up almost into her face and since then, is very gun shy about lighting stoves. The 428 helped her get over that but not quite completely.

20. Howecollc

My model 414 dual-fuel (mfd 1-93) has the raised rings on the gen. My brother's model 424 dual-fuel (mfd 8-95) has them as well, but his 428 dual-fuel 3-burner (mfd 2-98) does not have the rings, yet it was bought new and I know the gen has never been removed.

I've looked around, but can't find an answer as to when the Coleman dual-fuel suitcases first came out; does anyone know?