1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman No:505B

Discussion in 'Coleman No:505' started by Archivist, May 18, 2008.

1. Archivist United Kingdom Archivist

Courtesy of Finn Hjelmerud

1211111588-coleman505b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. 40epop

Beautiful little stove! I purchased one a short while ago here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada at a yard sale for $5 Cdn, and it included the case.

3. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

I have one just like it that I bought when I lived in Calgary. Leaks badly around the red knob and is a fire hazard in this condition. Coleman does not even list this model and has no parts for it. Anyone know if parts are still available and where I can get them in the States?

Thanks,

4. RonPH

That red knob looks similar to the newer EXPONENT model of coleman. Yes, I have had the same problem on my exponent. Seems it was not seated properly so it leaked. I just dissassembled it and re-seated the dang spindle. While doing that I emailed coleman who gladly sent me a new one (since it was still under warranty) so I have a spare just in case the problem comes back. I dont know if the spare though has the same problem ;)

Ron

5. Knight84 Canada

Sparky

If I remember right there is a small oring in the valve and acts like a packing/seal. A Coleman Canada valve idea. ](*,)

I will try to find a picture of one.

6. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Curious if that big aluminum valve can be replaced with the smaller lever handle style like on the 400/442. Looking at some pics the newer style tank is configured different and some type of male/female adapter would be required. :frown:

Never paid it much thought, but I have this style control on a Little peak 1 lantern. :?:

AR

7. Knight84 Canada

The Coleman Schrader valve is some piece of work. Just make sure that o-ring is in good order.

I don't know if the valve from a 442 would work. :-k

Jeff

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

It is an oring and looks the same size as the one from a 533 sportster. Ive got to replace the oring on both of these stoves now as they both leak

9. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

I replaced the O-ring and it stopped leaking. Then I got a lazy yellow flame with no pressure and replaced the cap gasket with a nitrile O-ring. Havn't tested it yet but I am running out of options.

10. toonsgt

Well, it was a good try. The only logical thing to do is send it to me before you hurt yourself. I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a stove today. Postage is on me of course. HA!

Not really much to these so I'm sure you'll get it soon. Sounds like the cleaning needle may be blocking flow. Did you disassemble it? Also had one do the lazy yellow and just when I was about to throw it in the lake, I throttled the lever several times, and whatever was blocking it, got coughed out and a perfect band o blue appeared. So don't give up.

Mike

11. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Its quite normal for these stoves to start yellow but they settle after 20 sec or so. Operate the flame control back and forwards 5 or 6 times before lighting and make sure they have plenty of pressure.
    On mine half the instructions are gone as is lots of paint but it still goes well. Its the coleman that taught me that colemans wernt the devils apprentice. I spent many years believing they were no good but now have 4 of them.